Microsoft Office 2016 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Office 2016 installs kind of, won't run....

The online installer fails with a message saying:
"Something went wrong."

If you pre-download using the MS offline installer you can get the setup, but it requires args be passed: "setup.exe /configure office.xml"

The tie file doesn't seem to allow you to pass args. If you create a .bat file to pass the args, then the tie file won't run what is in the bat file.

Installing into the bottle that the tie file creates doesn't finish properly. It says there is some failure but puts software in the bottle.

Once you run the software in the bottle, after the kind of install, it fails.

Word hangs. excel launches but gets lost in the login window.

Outlook crashes.

All I want is outlook for my corporate email. I've installed about 10 times trying to get it to work correctly. Once I've gotten it to the point where it tries to attach outlook to my office365 account and it fails.

From this forum, there doesn't seem to be much proof that this software works. Anyone have any success stories on how to make this work?

Quitting the bottle and restarting excel again, I got it to login and register my software.

But outlook still won't launch.

Andrew you got further than I got - 64 bit version got nowhere with, the 32 bit version.. installed but won't run, at best a blank form.

Hi Andrew.

"If you pre-download using the MS offline installer you can get the setup, but it requires args be passed: "setup.exe /configure office.xml"

Very interested to know how you managed to do that ? Obtain an offline version. Would be very grateful if you could supply a link ? I tried installing it via the Office 365 office 2016 installer link but fails.

Here you can find the answer:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Use-the-Office-2016-offline-installer-f0a85fe7-118f-41cb-a791-d59cef96ad1c

Andrew wrote:

The online installer fails with a message saying:
"Something went wrong."

If you pre-download using the MS offline installer you can get the
setup, but it requires args be passed: "setup.exe /configure
office.xml"

The tie file doesn't seem to allow you to pass args. If you create
a .bat file to pass the args, then the tie file won't run what is in
the bat file.

Installing into the bottle that the tie file creates doesn't finish
properly. It says there is some failure but puts software in the
bottle.

Once you run the software in the bottle, after the kind of install,
it fails.

What kind of operating system do you use?

You can download and mount the .img file on Linux/Mac from the Microsoft website. Later, you should open a file: Setup32.exe using crossover office:

$ls
Office Setup.exe autorun.inf
$

You can find this file in the Office directory.

Hi,

I've not tried the offline installer but I've used the Microsoft Office Deployment Tool which can perform an offline installation as well. I've documented the process I used in the 'Installation' tip page, could you review this and see if it helps?

Hello all,

We have just released CrossOver 17.1 for macOS and Linux, which includes critical bug fixes for Office 2016 installation. If you have experienced problems installing Office 2016 using an online installer, please upgrade to 17.1 here (https://www.codeweavers.com/CX171) or contact our support team for more information.

Thank you for your patience as we have worked to resolve this issue.

Hana
CodeWeavers

I had got it to install with 17.0.0, but nothing worked (black window, non responding app or nothing at all at launch).

With 17.1.0, it prints the error "the program (unidentified) has encountered a serious problem and needs to close" at the installation (after installing msxml). I am not really sure where this is better than before.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOWZ0aGVrQVBoV0FhS3k2QiIsImdkcHIiOjB9