Microsoft Office 2016 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Installs and runs really slowly

I'm running CrossOver on a Razer Blade Pro 2021 with an RTX 2080Ti and 16GB RAM (Arch Linux). I am able to install Office 2016 perfectly fine, with the installation taking quite a while (around 25 minutes). It's when attempting to run Microsoft Word that it becomes unusable. It opens, but everything runs so slow to the point where I get multiple popups asking if I want to force quit. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Hi Michael,

If you're using Wayland, you might see better performance with Xorg.

You might also be missing some libraries that CrossOver needs. You can follow the instructions here to run cxfix: https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/diag

Best,
Meredith

Hi, apologies for the late reply. It turns out I was using Wayland, which fixed the crashing and extreme slowness issue. The issue I'm experiencing now is simply lag. When I scroll it's like a slow slideshow. At least MS Word is useable, but I would like this "laginess" to subside...

I had the same issue - Word 2016 and Excel 2016 installs slowly and eventually activates on Ubuntu 22.04, but then runs too slowly on to be unusable.

After I saw this post, I confirmed that I was Wayland (echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE). I logged back in as Xorg/X11 - Word 2016 and Excel 2016 seems to work fine so far.

Is there a fix to get Office 2016 working well on Wayland?

Wayland support for Wine is a work in progress, so there's definitely hope this will work better in a future release.

Best,
Meredith

The same issue occurs with MS Office 365 on Wayland but runs ok on X11.
Looking forward for better Wayland support in the future.

I posted instructions for fixing the slow Office 2016 by enabling the new Wayland driver:
https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/forum/microsoft-office-2016?;msg=301516#c1

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidHFaUXZ2Y3FXZUI3enlLMiIsImdkcHIiOjB9