Microsoft Outlook 2007 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

More connection issues

Distro: Ubuntu
Version: 10.10
Arch: 64
CrossOver Type and Version: Pro
Installer Type: .deb

Tried all connection related tips and tricks and nothing works, I can't get a connection to my exchange server. It's a hosted exchange server, and requires a proxy even in a normal situation - the actual domain name for the server does not exist (i.e., doesn't resolve to an IP) unless you use the proxy. I've looked over the stunnel notes, but I think our exchange setup may preclude that from working - if anyone else uses exchserver.com for their hosting and has this working I'd love to hear from you!

Hi buddy, I really didn't follow your problem in deep, but reading your post I bet that you have connection problems not installation problems, as a matter of fact is that your Ubuntu default installation installs the firewall, so here there are my suggestions:
1) try to do a ping to a machine in your local network using your bottle, in order to verify if you have tcp/ip communication, if succeed then proceed to the next step, other way verify your tcp configuration on your host machine (ubuntu), of course if you can navigate in your host machine you are ok.
2) try to do a ping to the name on your server, if you can do this then you can resolve the name, if not then you have a DNS problem, and I'm pretty sure that the problem relies on the host server, you must reach the machine using the DNS name.
3) then completely turn off the firewall on your Ubuntu, I know that this is risky, but you will turn it on shortly, then try to connect and if you can do pings and resolve names with the host you must connect. If you can connect this way then you have to figure out how to open the ports related to the outlook services, and as far as I remember it's very easy under Ubuntu.

I have the same set up, but using my mac, and it works like a charm, and other setups using Ubuntu, Mac, CentOs, ... and on all my experience, all the time that we think that it has to be a configuration or setup problem is was a communication problem, but it was with the host, local firewall, blocked ports, or even port forwarding that you may be unaware. One way that always help is to try to resolve the problem thinking in a windows machine with outlook correctly installed, this isolates and let us think in other possibilities than a bad setup.

Hope this helps.
Regards.

Hey, thanks for the quick response - I'll try that out tomorrow when I'm back in the office!

Seems pinging from the bottle is more difficult than expected, since ping.exe is just a stub that does nothing.

However, I was able to confirm that the firewall is NOT enabled, active, or otherwise affecting this.

I also installed firefox and was able to browse to another machine on my network which has a web server, as well as external web sites.

The only output of ping is this:

fixme:ping:main this command currently just sleeps based on -n parameter

Find the exchange's IP , (by pinging from Linux), then enter the IP, instead of name of server.

ping.exe that comes with crossover is still just a stub program though, it does nothing but sleep.

For instance:

** Wed Apr 6 09:01:24 2011
Starting '/opt/cxoffice/bin/wineloader' 'winewrapper.exe' '--workdir' '/home/kevin/.cxoffice/Microsoft Outlook 2007/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32' '--start' '--'
'/home/kevin/.cxoffice/Microsoft Outlook 2007/dosdevices/../drive_c/windows/system32/ping.exe' '209.171.54.165'

fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
fixme:ping:main this command currently just sleeps based on -n parameter

I did track down ping.exe from a Win32 install, and this is what I get from that:

** Wed Apr 6 09:10:13 2011
Starting '/opt/cxoffice/bin/wineloader' 'winewrapper.exe' '--workdir' '/home/kevin/Downloads' '--start' '--'
'/home/kevin/Downloads/ping.exe' 'jujube.canonical.com'

fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
err:winediag:IcmpCreateFile Failed to use ICMP (network ping), this requires special permissions.

I found some instructions about using setcap to allow further permissions for the wineserver, but the output was then:

** Wed Apr 6 09:17:19 2011
Starting '/opt/cxoffice/bin/wineloader' 'winewrapper.exe' '--workdir' '/home/kevin/Downloads' '--start' '--'
'/home/kevin/Downloads/ping.exe' 'jujube.canonical.com'

wine client error:0: version mismatch 411/402.
Your wine binary was not upgraded correctly,
or you have an older one somewhere in your PATH.
Or maybe the wrong wineserver is still running?

At this point - I'm thinking I'll just use VirtualBox. Crossover seems to have a lot of issues, and I've already spent enough time trying to figure this out, and - virtualbox is free.

did you try IP address as suggested ?

• as for Virtualbox: remembeer taht links in email and attached PDF's won't open in the "real" browser, or a fast PDF viewer..

I can't get any version of ping to actually work in the bottle.

edit: Not to say it won't reach the hosts, but as I mentioned above the ping that comes with crossover is just a shell that does nothing but wait (as is noted in the output). Ping.exe from Win32 gives errors, and won't even run to give return command line options.

In my opinion, it's just too much effort to put in to get Outlook to work on Linux. I'll use Webmail.

among other, "multiping" works.
Still - could you please bother to tell whatever you are pinging a IP or name ? - just to eliminate misconfigured DNS or domain entry..

I can ping anywhere.exchserver.com from my linux, windows, or any other box with network connectivity, though it doesn't respond (and it never has), it does resolve to an IP - that is my proxy server I need to use for connecting to exchange. The actual server is ex41.exchserver.com, and it does not resolve to an IP as it is behind the proxy server. I've tried both the name and the IP for anywhere.exchserver.com from the bottle, but since the ping program doesn't work I can't ping squat.

Thanks for your help with all of this, but I'm done.

ok, sorry I could not help, it's a very strange problem you got there -I have been using Outlook in crossover myself every day past ~3 years on all Ubuntu's that were released during that time.

1 to 11 of 11

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZGVOV2J3N2VzS2JIQTlxUCIsImdkcHIiOjB9