Microsoft Outlook 2007 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Do you have Outlook 2007 Working with a Hosted Exchange Provider?

I use AppRiver as a hosted Exchange provider and installed CrossOver 8 for Linux. Am running Ubuntu 9.10. No matter what I did I was not able to configure a profile properly as it was unable to see the Exchange Server at AppRiver. I already had nss-mdns installed, so that tip didn't work for me.

Normally, when one deploys on Windows for AppRiver config is done via a .prf file; however, I was unable to use the prf and manual config went nowhere.

Anyone successful in this configuration? if so, what did you do to make this work.

P.S. I'm running the trial version of CrossOver and won't purchase this until I figure it out.

I dear Kenny, By now I'm running Outlook 2007 using my own Exchange 2003, I mean hosted in my own servers, controlled by my own domain, etc. I have no issues with this. Regarding your question, to me it's not a crossover problem, it's some sort of security and configuration problem, here are my recommendations:

• First of all try con configure a "normal" windows client with the configuration file you have, it's important that the client be inside your network and with all the default options you do expect in your Ubuntu/Crossover configuration, if you succeed, then the problem it's inside your Ubuntu or your crossover or your outlook, on the other hand, if you cannot connect then the problem must be your client's configuration, network, firewall, internet connection/provider etc.

• Then try to turn off any sort of protection software (iptables, ipfw, antispyware, etc.), then try to configure your service if you can, then there is a problem with your ports, try to figure out which ports your provider use and then open and verify that any of them are not blocked, one major problem with outlook it's that for some configurations it acquires two random ports for login/identification purposes, so can be difficult to configure the adequate security schema in order to grant the service connection.

As I wrote, to me there's not any problems with crossover + outlook 2003 + exchange 2003 server, I'm dealing with it for some time now with no major issues, my guess is that you have some closed ports and some security rules that are in the way of your outlook and your server.

Hope that helps.

Regards.
José Luis

I have Outlook 2007 talking properly to Exchange 2003 running in Virtualbox on the machine I was attempting to run Crossover/Outlook on. No issues at all. My Ubuntu 9.10 is stock with no specific firewall on this.

all I can say is that I am using Outlook2007 on exchange 2003 here @work, and it works just fine every day.
-What went wrong with manual configuration ?

Are you using RPC/HTTP. In the case of the hosted provider, this is the only way to attach to them. During setup, there's a step where you can check name that validates your mailbox. I can never get this to connect.

I utilize HTTP/RPC connectivity for my Outlook 2007 connections under Crossover. In the past I've always connected without HTTP/RPC the first time by adding the account and connecting within the business network (probably not a option for a managed exchange provider), then, after the account was added in Exchange I went into Account Settings menu option > Double click on the account > Click "More Settings" > Connection Tab > Check Connect to Exchange over HTTP, then in the Proxy settings box insert the address of the Exchange system on the Internet.

Thanks Alan, this is not going to be an option for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

I managed to get this to work with a little bit of help from AppRiver. Outlook display looks especially crappy, but I'm going to continue to bang on this for a while to determine whether I should continue to just run this in VirtualBox.

Hi, I assume "Outlook display looks especially crappy," refers to ugly fonts, missing date in calendar and empty "received" column..
Mine looks great now, I am running a nightly build of ver9 from 8.oct.2009 , I assume newer versions work just as well or better, but I did not try.
-Fresh install to a new bottle if you want to try.

BTW: I just confirmed that current nightly build works great too.

@André K. since I'm under a trial, don't think I can access the nightly builds, but it seems that you are saying that they have somehow managed to improve this significantly.

Question, I have been using Lookeen, and previously Lookout as Outlook plugins to index and search my mailbox. For understandable reasons, I was not able to install the Lookeen plugin. Is there an Outlook search solution available that will work under Crossover?

Simple answer: I don't know. I just use Outlook's own search, yes I know it's slow.
I tried installing "Lookeen.2.3.1.1242" it crashes with prograss bare at 80% with something called ADX-loader, I do not know what that is, but a outlook plugin needs only files+registry-entries to be installed, I could most likely capture the installation to an MSI, so that the msi were installable... or they could just make a simple installation :)

BTW: I've found the codewavers-people to be understanding&nice, I can guess, that if you ask them, they may provide you with a nightly build.

I was not able to get Lookeen to work; however, I did get Lookout to work. Lookout is not supposed to work in Outlook 2007, but there is a well known workaround detailed here: http://www.wirwar.com/blog/2008/01/22/search-e-mail-at-lightspeed-using-lookout-with-outlook-2007/

If you don't already have Lookout, you can find it here: http://majorgeeks.com/Lookout_d4808.html

Hi Kenny,

I also use app river and outlook 2007 and I can't get it to work. If I use outlook offline it is fine, but as soon as it tries to authenticate to the exchange server outlook crashes. Do you have any suggestions on how you got your outlook to work?

Thanks,

--Brian.

1 to 13 of 13

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUjRncG5KUkx5dWt3azVtRSIsImdkcHIiOjB9