Microsoft Outlook 2007 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Outlook 2007 fails to connect to POP3 server

I have just installed Crossover 9, with Outlook 2007 in a bottle with OneNote 2007. However, I can not get Outlook to connect properly to the mail server. I am using the exact settings as on my Windows machine, which connects with no problem at all.

Oddly, Outlook seems to be sending, but throws an error saying it can't log into the mail server. So, no incoming mail appears under the Crossover installation.

Again, this is a POP3 account and I have verified all of the settings. Of note is that I can not seem to download images in existing emails, either - it seems incoming data is not currently allowed.

Have I missed something in the bottle configuration? OneNote and Outlook both appear to operate fine, including sending emails to OneNote (YAY!!).

-Scott

maybe your windows machine uses a proxy ?

Hi Scott, I'm pretty sure that your problem has to be with a firewall, proxy, router, etc, you must verify access to your server machine (ping) and verify open ports, in a default setup of a pop and smtp servers could be 25 (smtp) and 110 (pop), but it may be different, the problem regarding images seems to me the same, My suggestion is that you first verify your network setup and your open ports before do any changes on your bottle or your crossover, by the way let me tell you that I have some machines with the setup that you attempt and all of them work fine (well, as fine as you can expect!).
Regards.

Now that you mention it, I forgot about the potential firewall issue. The port we're using is smtp 25 and pop 995. As I mentioned, I can send, but not receive. The identical configuration is working on the Win machine, so I know those settings are correct.

I just migrated to Mac last year, so haven't learned the ins/outs of network configuration. I presume I'll have to go through Terminal and use standard command line instructions (going to look that up, now). To be clear, I don't think this is a Crossover problem - I'm just trying to figure out what I've missed. Sorry if I implied anything different :)

-Scott

EDIT

I checked the server's ports and verified a response using the Network GUI tool - that all seems to be fine.

I have seen a couple of responses about loading SSL Enabler, but I can't find the d/l on Apple's site. It seems odd that everything else should work fine on the Win box, and outgoing is having no problems at all. I don't know enough about SSL to trouble-shoot this one, though. I do know I'm not using an Exchange server.

-Scott

Hi again, I'm using mac with crossover for some time now, so I can tell you that if you feel comfortable with command line UNIX/Linux style you are on the way to resolve your problem, just for the record Mac OS X its a standard fully compliant UNIX System V, so if you have any experience with this kind of OS you will be ok.
I guess that it is not in regard with firewall in mac but if you want to be sure try to verify firewall configuration (sudo ipfw, no results = no configuration or active firewall) if you are familiar with linux iptables it will be very clear, or just disable the firewall in system preferences, to have more control on your firewall I recommend waterroof (google for it), but all this is not regarding crossover. Again I bet your problem is a communication's problem not a configuration (crossover I mean) problem.

Regards.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOEtkTjdXNDduZExCUjRxUSIsImdkcHIiOjB9