Microsoft Word 2007 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Non-latin aliased characters printed in bold

I have encountered the following bug. Since I can not file new bugs, I post it here:

The fonts newly shipped with Microsoft Office 2007 do not handle aliased rendering on low resolution.

To reproduce: Type the text from the attached screenshots and select "Calibri" (or "Candara" or "Corbel" or ...) font. Zoom out until the fonts are not anti-aliased to see that non-latin characters are rendered as bold.

When zooming in, the font becomes anti-aliased and everything looks fine.

This does not occur with older Microsoft fonts (Arial, Times, ...).

Beta report with screenshots of the problem

Does anyone know a solution?

There is some idea about how it doesn't work here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7831648&postcount=13

"Smoothing for windows fonts in wine works only for fonts larger than ~ 14 pt, since wine uses another rendering technique for small windows fonts. Thus, you can see font smoothing in wine only on larger windows fonts or on custom fonts."

This issue is especially annoying when you use Cyrillic and Latin chars at the same time: the Cyrillic is very well anti-aliased and appears bigger and bolder.

Unfortunately, the winefontssmoothing script does not help...

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRzNwdHF4M1pzbjNSZFNNdiIsImdkcHIiOjB9