Mirror's Edge Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Performance Boosting

Hello,

I'm playing mirror's edge on my mac and it works well enough through the steam version, as in acts normally, but the frame rate is awful. Can anyone explain how to go in and the "key" that is supposed to make it work better in the tips and tricks section? thank you!

Hello,

First of all, can you tell us a bit more about your Mac from a hardware point of view? (video card, amount of RAM, CPU type, etc)

There is also this:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25723

You may have PhysX enabled in the game options. Try to disable it and see if that helps.

yep, PhysX is off.

13" MBA 2013 (bought in June/July)
1.3 ghz i5 dual core haswell
hd5000 1gb vram
8gb ram 1600mhz
128gb SSD
mavericks operating system

it is the steam version of the game. downloaded steam and then mirror's edge through steam

Heya,

The Intel HD5000 should allow you to play this game with a reasonable frame-rate.Lets try some more stuff then.

Exit Steam. In the bottle manager, select the Advanced tab and you'll see an option to disable Performance Enhanced Graphics. Tick that and try running the game again.

You could also try to trim down some of the graphics bling from the game options and see whether that improves performance or not.

HTH,
Silviu

Hello, and thanks for your support!

I tried that, but after that my whole computer would freeze after the splash screen and i would have to hard reboot. Unticked it again and it loaded just fine. Even with all the settings on the lowest possible levels it still isn't super smooth and lags at certain parts, even when i lower the resolution (native is 1440x900). On this forum under tips and tricks it says there is a "key" to boost performance, should i try that next? though i have no idea how to install it

Thank you!

There was a mention somewhere that the Macbook Air supports a "performance" profile. It's by default on "balanced". Can you try that before messing with registry keys? :)

Here's a tutorial on how to create registry keys with CrossOver on Mac OS X:

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/registry_keys

You can also try adding the VideoMemorySize key and set it to 1024

I've been looking in settings for a performance option but can't seem to find one. They might have removed it from Mavericks because I'm looking exactly where it used to be.

I have added the other 2 keys in tips and tricks and can't quite tell if there is a difference. Where should i add the VideoMemorySize key? Thanks again for all the support

Just an update. I've added 3 additional keys, glsl enable, video memory size and off screen rendering. This did greatly increase performance comparatively. So, just as a test, i played with the settings on the lowest possible and then the highest possible. The difference FPS wise was actually not that great, leading me to believe its either my processor or just the crossover optimization. Is there any way to try using an older version of Crossover that might work better?

Steam does not work on older versions of CrossOver :/

so when i run the game, it actually opens up in a separate wine loader. Will this wine loader still follow the properties that i've put into the steam direct3d directory or would i have to specify it for mirror's edge's separate wine loader?

The changes you made are bottle-wide, so wine will abide :)

gotcha. so any other possible performance enhancers? :) just grasping at straws here, its so close to working well just not quite there

1 to 13 of 13

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVkpGaE4yNnpTRm1oNkNBWCIsImdkcHIiOjB9