Mirror's Edge Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Anybody got this to work on Linux?

It seems all the success are with MacOS only.

In Linux all I get is the slash screen.
Here is the log:

'/home/~/.cxgames/Steam/dosdevices/../drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/mirrors edge/Binaries/MirrorsEdge.exe'

fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
fixme:process:SetProcessShutdownParameters (00000100, 00000000): partial stub.
fixme:urlmon:CoInternetSetFeatureEnabled 5, 0x00000002, 1, stub
fixme:urlmon:CoInternetSetFeatureEnabled 10, 0x00000002, 1, stub
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixer
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on Em28xx Audio, disabling mixer
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on USB Device 0x46d:0x8d8, disabling mixer
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {77f10cf0-3db5-4966-b520-b7c54fd35ed6} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {77f10cf0-3db5-4966-b520-b7c54fd35ed6} could be created for context 0x1
fixme:wbemprox:wbem_locator_ConnectServer 0x4c915f8, L"ROOT\\CIMV2", (null), (null), (null), 0x00000080, (null), (nil), 0x439c010)
fixme:winhttp:WinHttpGetIEProxyConfigForCurrentUser returning no proxy used
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} could be created for context 0x1
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33c4e4,0x00000000), stub!
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} could be created for context 0x1
err:ole:RevokeDragDrop invalid hwnd (nil)
fixme:advapi:RegisterTraceGuidsW (0x3964f30, 0x3fbb720, {3dada31d-19ef-4dc1-b345-037927193422}, 1, 0x3f93b24, (null), (null), 0x3fbb738,)
err:ole:RevokeDragDrop invalid hwnd 0x10120
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x267df7c,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x267dea8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x267f2d8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:debug_d3dformat Unrecognized 1280070990 (as fourcc: NULL) WINED3DFORMAT!
fixme:d3d:getFormatDescEntry Can't find format unrecognized(1280070990) in the format lookup table
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixer
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on Em28xx Audio, disabling mixer
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on USB Device 0x46d:0x8d8, disabling mixer
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x184380,0x1842f0): stub
fixme:d3d9:Direct3DShaderValidatorCreate9 stub
err:ole:RevokeDragDrop invalid hwnd (nil)
fixme:advapi:UnregisterTraceGuids 0: stub

Hi,

I take it you've seen the entries over at wineHQ and the garbage rating
the the Steam version?...;

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=9046

Was this with emulated virtual desktop enabled or not? (you'd need enable
it for the entire Steam bottle to check if you haven't already) It'd be
interesting to know if virtual desktop made a difference...

Else, a more complete debug log might be useful as per the instructions
here. I would probably be investigating with +seh +trace +x11drv and having
+d3d in the 'Other' stringbox. Also note, start Steam as per normal and once
running, use cxsetup (Manage Bottles) to grab the debuglog using the 'Run
Command' function to open the actual game exe itself. Once you have the logfile
(please give it a meaningful name and gzip the file 8) you can upload it to
here using the password R2JcEinErJ to login and upload the file. I'll grab the log
later and have a look through it for any clues.

Cheers!

Will do. It will take me a bit so I'll might have to do it tomorrow. It's a bit lat on this side of the world. However! I just figured out why the game wasn't starting at all. I noticed that on the game folders there is a vc redistributable file that fails to install. So I installed both the 2008 and 2005 virtual c++ redistributables and the game starts -sort of. I got major screen issues, but I can hear the game going... more later.

Artist Formally Known as Dot wrote:

'Run
Command' function to open the actual game exe itself.

That could be tough since I can't find the game.exe. The file that looks that way is a launcher. So the log quits once the launcher quits.

On an unrelated note. This game seems to require pixel shaders on on the winecfg. I typically turn that off and that seems to break the game.

Hi,

Ahh...one of those titles...they can be hard to deal
with, but it looks like you're getting somewhere with it
at any rate -- yes, some apps absolutely definitely need
pixel shaders on or they fail on a 'this videocard isn't
capable of what I need' situation.

Cheers!

OK the log has been uploaded. It's longish because I had to do a log of the whole steam app running. The launcher alone wasn't cutting it.

Here is the status.
The program runs with the vc++ redis packages installed on the bottle, but you need to run it full screen first otherwise, if you run it on an emulated desktop, it tries to make a window the size of your full screen and it fails. When you run it full screen it only rendered for me when I did Win+E key to get both of my desktops in view. Then I had to switch between the two desktops to get any images. Full screen there are serious problems. First the whole screen is not displayed only on the lower right corner is the screen's image displayed (I have a screenshot.) Then the mouse will not allow you to navigate that whole screen, making clicking OK not possible with the mouse.
I was able to change the resolution to a paltry 1024x768 and run that on an emulated desktop. And that worked...sort of. The screen periodically flashes (you can trigger this by going to the edge of the window) and the mouse doesn't have full range, making it hard to turn around. But worse of all is the performance hit the game takes. Even at such a low resolution (and all graphic settings at the lowest) it is very unresponsive.

The log I sent you is for the emulated desktop one with seh + x11 turned on.
Let me know if you want one for full screen too.

I'm just happy it runs!

Thanks for your help mate!

Turning on Vertical Synch seems to help btw but oddly it works on very few but strange resolutions like 1152x768 or something like that. It doesn't work full screen.

Hi David,

Thanks for the debuglog/screenshot and update info -- all valuable stuff,
well done....I believe you managed to catch the culprit, especially wrt
the 'err:d3d:state_pscale' trace. One of the direct2drive games I have
here...Saira...is doing a very similar thing. When you enable emulated
virtual desktop, is gets this all wrong -- if you disable fullscreen mode
in the game options of Saira itself (so it creates it's own window), it
strangely defaults to a 1440x900 mode for the window. When it does this,
it seems to get the scaling all wrong, and the edges of the game are
unreachable/invisible ... it doesn't like emulated desktop at all. That
may be also related to scale.c throwing the d3d error...I'll see if I
can find something more about the status on that error...

...Good to hear you got it running tho'...you might consider posting a
tip&trick in these regards to ware people more visibly to keep away
from emulated desktop mode for now (with the steam release of this game
under linux)...holding that thought, you may want to investigate if this
is in any way related to the recent Steam client upgrade...vis;

We have confirmed that a number of recent bugs in Steam games are due to changes in the in-game community overlay DLL. For some games, disabling the in-game community feature via Steam's settings is good enough to fix the problem. For other games, that's not enough.

For those, you can go into the Wine Configuration (winecfg) tool via Manage Bottles -> select bottle with Steam -> Control Panel. On winecfg's Applications tab, click Add Application. Select the executable of the Steam game that's having the problem (or just type its filename, like foobar.exe) and click Open. Select the Libraries tab of winecfg. Type GameOverlayRenderer in the "New override for library" edit field, click the Add button, click the Edit button, select Disable, click OK, and click OK. That prevents the in-game community overlay from even being loaded for that game.

If you don't use the in-game community, you might find it simpler to just disable it for the whole bottle. To do that, just skip the above steps involving the Applications tab of winecfg. Just leave it with Default Settings selected, which is how it starts, and go straight to the Libraries tab and proceed from there.

citing; Ken Thomases, bottom of http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=3415;forum=1;msg=87886

That change, has been playing havoc (in different ways) with a number of
different steamapps, so it may be worth checking it's not manifesting
itself here as well and causing this behavior as a consequence (if you
haven't already done so).

Great work btw, good quality information 8)

Cheers!

Thanks!

Yeah I always disable the "Steam in Game." Support for it under CX has always been somewhat experimental.
So that's not the issue.

Mirror's Edge is meant to run full-screen so it doesn't have an in-game windowed option. (In fact the Readme of the game clearly states because it runs full screen Alt-Tabbing could cause problems...)

The resolution I'm running it at now with vertical synch that seems to work is 1152x864.
This has gotten rid of the flashes, but it runs incredibly slow.
In a game that relies on timing it's a killer.
I'm curious as to why it doesn't run full screen correctly. It should.

I'll post something on tips and tricks once I've played with it some more.

Thanks for your help!

ps. Did you want that log for full-screen too?

Hi again,

See...this is the interesting thing about this -- when I look at your screenshot,
I have to conclude Mirror's Edge is trying to open in a widescreen aspect resolution.
I'm guessing also it's a scaled resolution as as well. The Saira title I have here
only knows one resolution (1440x900) which is actually 'overdrive' for this philips
220ws5 display if I start the app fullscreen (the display is not happy/shakey) - if
I enable emulated virtual desktop @ 1440x900 and leave the ingame options at fullscreen,
the game will crash every single time. On the other hand, if I enable emulated virtual
desktop @ 1440x900 and set the ingame options to windowed mode, the game does start
in it's own window >inside< the emulated virtue desktop window...which is a bit weird...

Afaik, when you enable emulated virtual desktop the default refresh rate is set to 60Hz.
The default refresh for this display is 50/51Hz @ 1680x1050. Granted, you can set the
emulated desktop size to whatever you want, but I don't think this alters the default
refresh rate being presented to the game by the emulated desktop itself..ie; 60Hz. I
think some apps interrogate the primary display driver anyway, and get horribly confused
about this...ie; they try to open in the emulated virtual desktop @ 50/51Hz - I'll just
be this leads to problems :)

Wrt your app however, it's rather curious that it looks like it's headed for a widescreen
startup in the screenshot, and yet you have it running fullscreen at 1152x864 which, correct
me if I'm wrong, is a 4:3 native display resolution -- the nearest widescreen resolution to
that would be 1200x900 or such'n'similar iirc. Of course, your xorg.conf might not know about
that, and your display might not have communicated the valid widescreen mode via EDID that
the app is looking for -- myself and a couple of other linux advocates have a fairly involved
modeline section in our xorg.conf to try help alleviate that situation, so when an app does
interrogate the video driver layer, it finds the resolution it goes looking for. Btw, the Mac
seems to handle this shizzle a lot differently compared to linux....

I'll spark-up Saira on the Mac here a little later and see how it behaves there -- for sure grab
a debuglog of the fullscreen situation and upload it to the same location ; if it's running horribly
slow that may disclose itself in the log as well - use the same flags as I advised before.

FTR...the default refresh rate for emulated virtual desktop is held in the registry key
'DefaultSettings.VRefresh' -- I haven't played with that key value yet, I'm just letting
you know what to search for in registry. Ostensibly, regardless of whether or not the game
advices/instructions say 'only run in fullscreen', the emulated virtual desktop should, all
things being equal, present the app with what it would believe to be fullscreen mode regardless
of the fact it's windowed on your $HOST display -- apparently, all things are not yet equal 8)

Cheers!

1 to 11 of 11

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQlRUOTNIelZXcWg3aFZuYSIsImdkcHIiOjB9