Mirror's Edge Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

In-Game videos? / Mirror's Edge under 9.2.0 Support Status.

Hi.

After struggling quite a bit, I have Mirror's Edge sort of working on my Mac.

• CD/DVD Installation does not work. Game installs but never launches. (I got something in the logs saying it couldn't find default.wxl or something similar).
  • Steam-based installation does work.

Issues found:

• Character can't turn properly (**fixed I believe using MouseWarpOverride=force, I need to test on this one).
  • Videos do not work, including the initial footstep before the options menu, and the in-game videos screen is always blank, but audio does work -- sometimes chopped, sometimes not, depending on the screen resolution set before at the options menu.

Is there a known way to fix it? Nothing is mentioned on the tips & tricks tab. Nor it is mentioned how it is possible to make it work.

Tested hardware (for reference)
⁃ Macbook (Late 2008, aluminium unibody, Macbook5,1)
⁃ Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 GHz.
⁃ 3.0 GB RAM
⁃ Nvidia Geforce 9400M
⁃ Mac OSX 10.6.5 fully patched.
⁃ CrossOver Games for Mac 9.2.0

Any ideas?

Thanks.
///C.

Carlos Orozco wrote:

• Videos do not work, including the initial footstep before the
    options menu, and the in-game videos screen is always blank, but
    audio does work -- sometimes chopped, sometimes not, depending on
    the screen resolution set before at the options menu.

Hi again. Well I started toying with the game resolutions just to see if something was liked by the software and get the videos working. Originally my resolution was set to 1280x1024, and then started playing with different resolutions for my external display. Everything was unsuccessful (that is, videos can be heard but not seen, only a got a white screen) until I tried set up the native resolution that matches the display of my Macbook (1280x800). Then instead of getting the main menu redrawn at the new resolution, I just got the white screen.

I ssh-ed into my Macbook and listed all wine-related processes and sent a SIGTERM to all of them, I shut down the computer and went to sleep. Now trying a bit today, the first thing I got after launching CXgames is the opening of a folder with Nvidia's PhysX Properties. I started Steam again and launched the game and wow! Videos are working now!! Great!

Now, it is just matter to play with the registry entry for the mouse issue and see how playable the game is as a whole under CrossOver Games.

Again. It seems the best way to make this game working is to try the Steam version. CrossOver deals with all necessary dependencies automatically (**MS Core Fonts, some runtime distributables and DirectX itself) getting nearly everything to work. After that it was needed to give some pats on the back to the software and it is running.

CD/ DVD version didn't work, it just installs, but never launches as described earlier.

Hopefully this may serve to some others getting the game to work.

Best regards.
--
///C.

P.s. Sorry for my poor English; English is not my native language, but it is worth to try :)

Hi,

Thanks for your detailed feedback, and your English is
very good for one who doesn't speak it all the time, kudos!

Cheers!

Carlos Orozco wrote:

Carlos Orozco wrote:

• Videos do not work, including the initial footstep before the
    options menu, and the in-game videos screen is always blank, but
    audio does work -- sometimes chopped, sometimes not, depending on
    the screen resolution set before at the options menu.

I ssh-ed into my Macbook and listed all wine-related processes and
sent a SIGTERM to all of them, I shut down the computer and went to
sleep. Now trying a bit today, the first thing I got after launching
CXgames is the opening of a folder with Nvidia's PhysX Properties. I
started Steam again and launched the game and wow! Videos are
working now!! Great!

Hi. Well, I believe I was singing victory before time. When I tried playing again the video problems reappeared unfortunately. Stepping back and reviewing the stuff done before, it was not the resolution change what helped the game, but sending a SIGTERM to the process (**via SSH):

502   386   349   0   0:14.78 ??         0:45.80 /Applications/CrossOver Games.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOverGames/bin/wineloader c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\mirrors edge\Binaries\MirrorsEdge.exe

brauns-macbook:~ charlie$ sudo kill -TERM 386
Password:
brauns-macbook:~ charlie$

After doing this the process finishes but the screen resolution keeps the same of the game, it is just matter to click again the [Play] button on Steam. Once done this, the game appears to start in windowed mode, then changing to full screen automatically, and then I get the videos working again, (both the initial one and the in-game's).

A problem of this approach is that I don't really know what is going on for sure, and sometimes the resized screen goes away from Play button within Steam, so sometimes I cannot relaunch the game. Apparently the game does some sort of initialization after being killed and that, makes the videos to play, but once the game finishes and save its parameters, videos stop working. Perhaps debugging a bit, logging stuff may give a clue. I just need to read to learn how to do this. :)

On other things, the game runs much better at a 1024x640 resolution (or less) on this specific computer. Apparently 1280x800 hammered heavily the poor hardware getting the teardown and slowdowns mentioned in some other posts.

Other things tested is the registry key. I added the:

[Software\\Wine\\DirectInput] 1264890967
"MouseWarpOverride"="force_edge" 

key using a text editor in the user.reg file. Then figured out how to use the regedit.exe and the key was both saved and works properly. No more 180 degrees mobility! :)

I find more interesting stuff, I'll keep on posting here.

Thanks.
--
///C.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiR0hnQzlHaGJNTEZleEhSSyIsImdkcHIiOjB9