Neverwinter Nights 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Successful Installation

This is an adaptation of my last post in the step-by-step failure thread, since now it's not a failure:

Here are the steps I used:

1) Install VC++ Redistributable 2005 and 2008 into a fresh Win2k bottle, using CXGames 8.0 installer.
2) Install DirectX 9 Legacy, using CXGames 8.0 installer (this step may be unnecessary -- see step 3).
3) Install NWN2 OC. This time, unlike previous attempts, both .NET 2.0 and DirectX 9 installed successfully after the main install.
4) Patch up to the most recent 1.23 (to shake off the DRM).

That's actually all I did. I didn't touch the registry or do any magic with the DLLs. The key was the win2k bottle. If you use a winxp bottle, all sorts of things don't install properly.

Once I had this working properly, I then did:

5) Install MotB and SoZ.
6) Patch again up to 1.23 (since SoZ drops you back to 1.20).

I've successfully played from a saved game as well as multiplayer on a persistent world.

I've spotted only a few cosmetic glitches so far.

In multiplayer if I enter the chat window, two solid blue-gray bars appear: one long one over the top of the chat window, and one 1-inch one about halfway down. They move when I change the shape of the chat window, so they're not artifacts - they're part of the rendering of the screen. They disappear when I change areas, but return again if I re-enter the chat window.

At least on my system, when I turn all shadows on, all shadows go off. But if I use the Medium settings, shadows appear correctly.

Color is over-saturated relative to NWN2 on Boot Camp, but this is to be expected --- the Windows colorspace tends to be more washed out.

On the plus side, I'm able to use windowed mode or full screen, though the selection of window sizes is not as broad as on Boot Camp.

At least on my iMac with an ATI Radeon HD2600, if I set OffScreenRenderer to backbuffer (in the registry), I get nasty video tearing above the horizon, and the upper left quadrant of the game window doesn't update correctly. If I don't bother with Direct3D registry settings, this doesn't happen.

Graphical glitch: when it rains, everything on the screen gets bright and washed out, as if the gamma has been cranked to 11.

Edit:
I updated the game using regedit method from this forum and it didn't work and if i install the game into win2000 bottle (and nothing else in it) the update doesn't work at all. I wasted whole day and nothing works.

Thanks for the tips, K.E.! I managed to get it working in CXGames 9.1.0 for Linux following your directions. I installed the VC++ 2005 and 2008 stuff in a Win2K bottle and then installed NWN2 followed by the two expansions then I patched up. This was using the downloadable version of NWN2, not the disk-based variety. The only thing I had to do is get CXGames to emulate a virtual desktop the same size as my actual desktop so I could change resolutions. Works WAY better than in Cedega, actually.

This is with Slackware64 13.1 with the multilib stuff installed.

I put up a c4p file yesterday, it will be up today if i am correct, this way its just a matter of a dubbleclick of the mouse to get it installed correctly.

How did you get CXGames to emulate a virtual desktop the same size as your actual desktop? right now mine won't run in true full screen... still have both top and bottom task bars.

Paulthetall wrote:

I put up a c4p file yesterday, it will be up today if i am correct,
this way its just a matter of a dubbleclick of the mouse to get it
installed correctly.

Your c4p file works, here at least, under Fedora 12. It would just be nice if people that used it would report back success or not so we can use the feedback for diagnostic purposes.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNHVycVdxZE5uYmZQTW02NyIsImdkcHIiOjB9