Neverwinter Nights 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Incorrect information reflected in the Tips section

Someone (Codeweavers?) added a block of text to many of the tips for NWN2:

"The Digital Rights Management (DRM) software in this program
prevents it from running in CrossOver. If you are in a legal jurisdiction
which allows removal of such software, you may have luck running this
program. Unfortunately, CodeWeavers, because they are subject to the
Digital Millennium Copyright Act, will be unable to support you. "

This is incorrect. The 1.23 patch (which came out a couple months ago), released by Atari/Obsidian, removed the SecureROM DRM that prevented the game from running without the disc.

Yep, I mumbled that to them late yesterday when I saw it, should be corrected shortly.

It was me.

Here's the thing, the fact of the matter. We have to remove the mention of no-cd cracks, drm circumvention, no-cd hacks, etc, from our site for various reasons. As we see them for now, we are manually updating them. There are hundreds of entries that have to be edited.

We aren't verifying the actual tips for accuracy when we do this. We believe each advocate should do this for the application they are advocating. All we are supposed to do (as ninjas) is replace the mention of no-cd, dvd-crack, etc with the above blip.

I can go and attempt to update the tips to accurately reflect the steps for getting NWN2 to run properly... but I don't have NWN2 at my finger tips. My instructions would be incomplete or confusing.

I would highly appreciate it if someone would write a new step by step for NWN2... and if they don't have access to drop it into the Tips & Tricks section (ie, they are not an advocate for this application), I'll move it over. I'll be happy to pull down the tips for this application that are out dated as well. Just let me know and keep me updated.

My apologies for the confusion.

Caron Wills wrote:

I would highly appreciate it if someone would write a new step by
step for NWN2... and if they don't have access to drop it into the
Tips & Tricks section (ie, they are not an advocate for this
application), I'll move it over. I'll be happy to pull down the
tips for this application that are out dated as well. Just let me
know and keep me updated.

My apologies for the confusion.

No worries. I just posted a new How-To with instructions that I just tested on my systems.

The process I had to go through was simpler than abeta's; it wasn't necessary to manually install the DLLs, etc., using Crossover Games Mac 8.0. abeta, have you tried the shorter set of steps I posted? I'm wondering if there are some configurations that can't get NWN2 running via my steps.

abeta, looking over your steps again I'm noticing that you put the DirectX and VC++ installs toward the end of the process. I installed those two packages first (into a fresh Win2k bottle), after which all of the necessary DLLs were in place. Regedit didn't have any entries for DirectX but they were not needed, at least on my iMac.

K. E. Munroe wrote:

abeta, looking over your steps again I'm noticing that you put the
DirectX and VC++ installs toward the end of the process. I installed
those two packages first (into a fresh Win2k bottle), after which
all of the necessary DLLs were in place. Regedit didn't have any
entries for DirectX but they were not needed, at least on my iMac.

I tried alot of different suggestions from WineHQ and here, and I wound up having to install DirectX and VC++ at the end even if I install it first as it fails for me when I run it so I have to reinstall. I'm not sure if its varying hardware or what, but I did retest my instructions before posting on 2 of my systems and they worked. I tried running NWN2 at each step and to make sure I wasn't adding unnecessary steps.

It is definitely entirely possible that the steps could be shortened but the other various directions didn't work for me.

Well, now comes the real test. I've been trying to help a Linux user get this up and running... I've directed them to the step by step guides to start over (before I was just reaching in the dark for answers). I think the instructions are rather clear and I just wanted to take a moment to thank you each of you for writing them out.

Cheers!

Caron Wills wrote:

Well, now comes the real test. I've been trying to help a Linux
user get this up and running... I've directed them to the step by
step guides to start over (before I was just reaching in the dark
for answers). I think the instructions are rather clear and I just
wanted to take a moment to thank you each of you for writing them
out.

Cheers!

Most welcome. From my point of view, if it helps even one person save grief it was worth it 😊

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoic240aFBTUlBLN3lLTG1LZyIsImdkcHIiOjB9