Neverwinter Nights 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Black Characters

It looks like this:

anyone know how to fix this? please i really love this game

I think I recall seeing this on one of my MACs before copying DLLs and tweaking the registry entries.

You can find the various install steps in Tips & Tricks.

That said...can you tell us what version of Crossover, OS, video card, etc?

What have you tried so far?

Crossover Games 8.0, Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard, 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400. I did everything that abeta wrote to do in Tips & Tricks. Something else?

Antek wrote:

Crossover Games 8.0, Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard, 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2
Duo, 2 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400. I did everything that abeta
wrote to do in Tips & Tricks. Something else?

Did you do the registry keys? ie, I can reproduce this at will if the keys aren't in correctly. Specifically this line:

useGLSL=Enabled

If I delete the key or do

useGLSL=disabled

I'll get the black characters. I can see the armor, but the puppet is messed up. This could be something related to the "metallic" thread as well where different hardware shows up differently on installation though.

ETA: I take it back, somehow I got stuck in the situation where it doesn't seem to take the registry keys either. Fiddling with it some more later.

I did the registry keys and i tried using DirecDrawRenderer=gdi and OffScreenRenderingMode=Backbuffer, but nothing helps

Yeah, I have one bottle where when I get into this state, I can't seem to get out of it and I have no idea how I got into this state. If I start a new bottle, I get the "metallic" look of the few threads down. I have an open ticket on the "metallic" look but I'm wondering if this is somehow related.

I'VE GOT THE SOLUTION! i found it by accident, i wanted to search for new options in crossover that i can try out and being afraid that i will mess something up, i copied the bottle, then i fought to myself that i shouldn't play with advanced settings i i deleted the copy. unfortunately nwn2 icons were gone with the copy and i opend the nwn 2 disc with the bottle that has all the c++, direct x, etc. installed and it opened the starting window for me, now the problem is gone

I'm confused, you had 2 bottles and only one of them had the c++, directx, etc files and deleting the 2nd bottle fixed it or you have 2 bottles with exactly the same stuff and deleting one of them fixed it?

First i had one bottle with all the c++, etc. then i made a copy of this bottle, and after deleting the copy i accidently deleted all the icons, so i tried to instal nwn 2 again to the first bottle and it opened up the starting screen and now i have to open the game this way, but i have no problems and everything is 100% fine

I've got the same problem. I've tried the tips regarding the registry settings and the dll's (note that only one of them was missing from system32) and tried the various settings but nothing seems to work.

I was so overjoyed to have finally got everything to install and patch it's a little frustrating to fall at the last hurdle.

iMac, 7600 GT, 10.5.8, 3GB RAM, 2.33Ghz C2D, CX9.

Edit: OK UseGLSL seems to have come good for no discernible reason. Despite having tried all the settings in different combinations it appears to have worked now in that I can see the characters. Downside is that performance has tanked now I can see them properly in create character. In game the characters are black and it's a slideshow until I can get to exit to main menu.

Would someone be willing to post a shot of what the GLSL looks like in the regedit? I have a feeling I'm doing it wrong... that's if anyone other than me still looks here...

I have added a screenshot to this support library article: http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/CXGamesMac_EnableGLSL

Sorry for dredging up an old topic - my issue is the same as above, though I have not been able to find a fix (this time).

See, I was running NWN2, without expansions, on Crossover Games 9.1 or so (I think that's the version I had in August). I had black characters, but managed to fix the problem (and I REALLY wish I'd made a note of the fix). Anyway, I left the game for a semester, came back in January and finished the main campaign (even after upgrading to Crossover Games 10, the game still worked great). I then purchased the Steam version because it was the same price as grabbing the two expansion packs separately. Oh, I how I regret that decision.

Installing Steam wrecked the bottle I had the original install in, and I had to start from scratch. I got MotB (non-Steam) and set about following abeta's instructions again. I'd forgotten about the black character problem, and now I cannot remember how to fix it.

I've followed abeta's instructions exactly, messed about with registry key options, and tried everything I can think of, several times, in several different bottles. This would be far less frustrating if I hadn't managed to run the game on this machine without this problem! If you can help, I would appreciate it. I should note that I also had the "metallic characters" issue (at least, they were very shiny) and the screen washed out white when there was rain, but those problems were workable. I guess I could deal with blacked-out, featureless characters if I have to, though...

Specs: Macbook Pro
Leopard 10.5.8
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: Display
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0863
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3427
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:

Let me know if you need more info -- I wasn't sure what was relevant to the issue.

1 to 14 of 14

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZU1VdjY2N1ZDcjNoRU5WVyIsImdkcHIiOjB9