OpenOffice 4 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Why Try OO With CrossOver When Native Versions Exist?

OpenOffice Suite has been in the C4 database for some years, but comments concern versions 2 and 3 of OO running on earlier versions of CrossOver, and threads are locked to prevent new posts.

There are many reasons to consider using OO: For me, a key issue is that Mac versions of MS Office don't provide a database, so I recently used the Mac version of OO's Base to create a Plant Identification database. Most things worked really well, but one report created on the Mac couldn't be generated to print using the Mac version of OO, yet I could print the report using OO installed on a Win 7 computer. Clearly, because OO is a cross-platform suite, I should have been able to complete the task on the Mac, and I can't say with certainty what the problem was, but I know that it worked on the Win 7 computer. The problem and solution may not have been within OO, but within the Java Runtime Environment, the host OS, or some interaction between layers.

That issue using the Mac version is a catalyst for trying to run OO for Windows within CrossOver. While I hope to circumvent a problem encountered using the native environment, I also expect to also find new obstacles to overcome.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiU0drU3VaeWRUcE5zS3FxcyIsImdkcHIiOjB9