Panzer General II Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Panzer General 2, need help

Hi, I am yet another newbie to Crossover Games. When I run the install cd, CG tells me that the installer is not recognized.
So, I created a Wine bottle and installed the game. The game starts exactly how it should until it is time to draw the game board... which comes up black. I tried changing the operating systems in the Wine configuration tab with no luck. I used the run command to install DirectX 5 from the cd, rebooted and still no go. Still no joy. I tried running it inside an emulation window,no joy. Looked up the game on the Wine list and saw where it was reported as working with Ubuntu 8.10 which I could not find any installer for. So, I downloaded the current version, 10.10 for Windows and used the run command to install the wubi.exe file into the bottle. I do not know if it installed or not as it does not show up in the installed applications list. So, I Wine Configuration and added it into the application list... no joy.
Any ideas would be much appreciated. I realize that this is a very OLD game, but I really do not like all these new third person shoot'em up games. Something is preventing the game board from drawing and I cannot figure out what to do.
I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.6 on a 2X2 Intel Xeon MacPro with 10gig of memory.

I know this is a very late reply, but I've only just come back to using Crossover recently (I finally got a new computer, so I'm back to some serious gaming again). I had the same problem before (a blank black area where the map should be drawn), and eventually I found that some people trying to install the game on Windows Vista encountered the same thing.

Long story short, there's a directory called "MAP" on the install CD that contains all the maps. I don't know whether the installer is failing to copy it onto the hard drive, or the game is failing to find it on the CD, but the solution is easy -- just copy the entire directory off the CD and into the PANZER2 directory yourself, and the game should run fine.

I say "should" run, because I find I'm unable to install the game myself now; for some reason, running the PG2 installer completely locks up my new machine. Hard. Nothing I can do other than reboot, I can't even log in from remote. (This is a new Mac Mini running OS X Server, and yes, I know it's silly to be running games on a server OS...) Anyway, if I ever get Panzer General 2 installed again without totally destroying my computer, I'll re-confirm that making a copy of the directory fixes this problem. :)

A quick update, yes, the "black screen" problem is solved by simply copying the "MAP" directory from the CD into the "panzer2" directory of your bottle's C drive. (Been a while since I last worked on this, but I've finally got Panzer General 2 up and running on my machine again.)

I'll see if I can put this into a Tip. Even better, I may take the plunge and try to create a CrossTie that does this for you during the installation...

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiazRkYUc3UnlLa200YXZjYSIsImdkcHIiOjB9