PS Now Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Help getting PlayStation Now working on Ubuntu?

Hi everyone,

CrossOver version: 19.0.1
Linux kernel version: 5.3.0-53

I'm currently trying to install the "PlayStation Now" application.

"PS Now" appears in the list of available applications within CrossOver so I've selected it from there and let CrossOver download the latest installer directly from Sony's website. (I believe this is for PS Now v11.1.2)

CrossOver creates a Windows 7 bottle; installs some C++ runtimes, some system fonts as well as PS Now itself.

When the PS Now installer completes, the following error appears: "The installer has exited but PS Now does not seem to be installed". I'm given the options to either "try again", "cancel installation" or "skip". Trying again just brings the error up again so I select "skip".

The installation then "completes". A shortcut for the program does appear in menus:

If I try and open it, however, the program icon will appear in sidebar, flash a few times and then disappear. No program windows appear during this time.

I've also tried to run PS Now from the terminal:

$ /opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle "PS_Now" --cx-app "psnowlauncher.exe"

ERROR: ld.so: object 'libgtk3-nocsd.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libgtk3-nocsd.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.

And then it terminates. I see those errors appear when I run other programs so I don't think they are the cause of the issue but there is no other output.

I would appreciate any pointers if anyone has been able to get this to work (I see one 5 star rating in the CrossOver compatibility DB and a one star rating where someone has had the same issue as I).

If there is anything I can do to debug further, please do let me know.

Thanks for your time.

(I'm using the CrossOver trial right now so haven't contacted Codeweavers support)

Hi,

I'm the one who created the psnow's crosstie, apparently the latest update changed many things... The error you encountered at the end of the installation process is related to the update of the psnow launcher, this error never showed up before. I installed psnow via my old trusty crosstie and as you said many issues occurred this time. I found the cause of the issue though. Launch my crosstie and insted of using the old version of ps nowl, in the select installation source tab, click on the option to browse a local installation file and install the software via the new setup file downloaded directly from sony web site. You can find the file at this link: https://download-psnow.playstation.com/downloads/psnow/pc/PlayStationNow-11.1.2.exe . The source of the problem is that wine can't handle the update process correctly so the application can't start properly and is doomed to repeat an endless cycle of updating instances that will never work... Long story short use my crosstie download the ps now setup from the link I posted and choose it as source for the setup process. At the end of the setup do not start ps now, crossover will show up an error pop up, just select the option to skip the error, don't worry ps now is installed anyway. Before starting ps now select the bottle in which is installed and select quit bottle, just to be sure that some zombie process isn't in your way, then launch the program and it should work just fine. If the things won't work out well try to run this command /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxfix --auto,it will install all the missing dependencies crossover needs to work at its full potential some depencies will not install anyway don't worry though they are not necessary, then delete the psnow bottle and retry the aforementioned process. Let me know if this tip worked for you

Hi Simone,

Thanks a lot for your response. You were right: the problem was missing libraries.

I ran

$ /opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle "PS_Now" --cx-app "psnowlauncher.exe" --verbose

in a terminal and the output showed that I was missing the libopenal1:i386 package.

This actually fixed the problem without needing to do anything else. The application now starts and runs as expected.

I've also now ran

$ /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxfix --auto

as per your suggestion to ensure I don't have this problem in future for other missing dependencies.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoic01oUDdUZndVNEFaNXd4dCIsImdkcHIiOjB9