Quake III Arena Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Mouse not functioning correctly

Im using the latest version of crossover games 7.1.1 and the install went perfectly! I then started up the game and for some odd reason the mouse never wanted to turn past maybe 90 degrees left and right. I think theres a way to get around this but Im not incredibly sure...any ideas?
Otherwise, the game ran perfectly to my perspective. If I can resolve this camera/mouse problem, I would definitely give it gold.

This is one of the areas where implementing Win32 on top of X11 is really hard.

(Note, it used to work in the past for this game specifically, but by fixing other games we broke Quake)

Windows reports relative mouse movements. If the mouse cursor moves from (100,100) to (110,115) the application can read a (10,15) movement via DirectInput. X11 does not do that. So we subtract the old position from the new position. This works fine, except if the cursor hits the screen corner. If the cursor is in (0,0), and moves (-10,-10) pixels, it is still at (0,0) afterwards. Thus we cannot read any movement, but windows can.

Our workaround is to warp the cursor back to the center after each read. This obviously breaks apps that read the absolute position. So we have some logic to enable/disable the warping.

Now unfortunately some apps depend on both relative movement and absolute position.

The fix hopefully comes with the in-development XInput 2 extension for Linux. On MacOS, we are now finally working on a native Quartz backend that will hopefully allow us to get rid of the X server.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYjVjMlpyVFFMUW5CZ1hZWiIsImdkcHIiOjB9