Quake Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Rereleased Quake - Red Screen

I've just got the trial version of Crossover and attempted to install Quake.

This is a newly re-released edition which came out late 2021, but it is the original game.

It uses Vulkan for its graphics.

When I run it there are two issues.

The first is an audio stuttering while it places the forced logo videos that you can't skip, just advertising the development studios.

The second is that the entire screen is bright red.

If I wait for the intro videos to complete then the game gets into the title screen demo loop and I can hear the game playing.

I am playing through Steam. I tried disabling the Steam Overlay and retesting.

I thought I would post here just in case it is a known issue with Vulkan or something else?

Does anyone have any tips? I tried out Parallels as well but they don't have any Vulkan support.

I am having the issue with the bright red screen on Crossover 21.2. I can hear everything playing back just fine (no stuttering, by the way), but I cannot see nor due anything due to the red screen.

This is happening to me on Mac OS Big Sur.

Having you tried enabling the DXVK backend? I don’t have this game but with several others I have experienced this “the game is running, I can hear it, but the screen is black red” and enabling DXVK for the bottle resolved it every time.

I can confirm that enabling DXVK for the bottle resolved the screen issues. I have used this method for other games as well and not just Quake

i just tried with the latest beta and the red screen opens no matter what. Enabling or disabling DXVK doesn't change a thing. That's on macOS 12 on an iMac 2017 with ATI Radeon Pro 570.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNmJYTW04QXg4RmhCWmFhWSIsImdkcHIiOjB9