Quicken 2004 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Fonts Figured Out! (at least in KDE)
Anonymous

Okay, I walked through a controlled, scratch installation, and now I see what causes the font issue. Here's what I did and what I saw.

1. Scratch install of SuSE 8.2, no updates (including to freetye2)
  2. Install CrossOver Office 2.1.0. See fonts are installed.
  3. Insert Quicken 2004 CD
  4. Install IE5setup.exe first (to avoid installation glitches seen before when letting Quicken installer do both IE and Quicken)
  5. Get an error statement that something needed to be changed in my FSTAB file
  6. Accepted proposed change (add "unhide" to CD ROM entries, possibly comment out the hotplug comment on my USB CD-RW)
  7. Just to be sure, reboot (a holdover from Windows, I know 😊
  8. Start Office Setup - notice the fonts that were installed are gone!
  9. Install the MS fonts into CrossOver manually, downloading and installing one by one.
  10. Install Q2004
  11. See that what should be Arial/Verdana/some sans-serif font all look like courier (this is what I have seen before)
  12. Install freetype2 with bytecode interpreter turned on
  13. See that the courier-looking font is still there
  14. Go into KDE's Control Center, select "System Administration", select "Font Installer", go into "Administrator Mode", and install all the fonts from my Windows partition. Click on "Apply" and close the Control Center
  15. Restart Quicken 2004 - voila! The fonts are (mostly) correct now!

So that was the issue - I needed to install the Windows fonts into KDE (not just CrossOver) to get them to show up in Quicken. In my previous experiments, I'd failed to notice that this is what did the trick, and I fooled myself that it was (somehow - don't ask me how; in retrospect it seems silly) the freetype2 byte code interpreter and TrueType.

Now what I don't know is which MS font is the one that Quicken needs. It's one of the sans serif fonts that I guess CrossOver is not installing. That experiment if for another day. Also, very small text still shows as a courier-like font, whereas the same text in Windows is some sans-serif font. I assume this is another font I don't have in my Windows partition.

Jon Mechling

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWGVuUUt2eGdyTUtZaFBrRSIsImdkcHIiOjB9