Quicken 2004 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Quicken 2004 Works Pretty Well!
Anonymous

Two key tips to have it work smoothly, and a few observations about functional quirks.

1. Don't install by running /dev/cdrom/install.exe. Instead, install by running /dev/cdrom/autorun/autorun.exe. This will run the installer the way it would have run under Windows.

2. Quicken has funny looking fonts - I saw Courier when it should have been something like Arial. The fix? Install a freetype2 with the byte code interpreter turned on. I run SuSE 8.2, and I found the instructions at

http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/byte-code-interpreter.html

I followed the instructions and applied the fix to freetype2-2.1.4. Now the fonts look like they do in Windows, and are clear and non-blurry. This helps Word, Excel and PowerPoint, too, as well as native Linux browsers like Mozilla, Firebird, and Konqueror - the display now is very nice, web pages look like they are supposed to. There are licensing issues with Apple for the byte code interpreter code, so CodeWeavers can't recommend you do this, but I can! (Oh, there are a few minor font problems - some very small text here and there in Quicken appears as courier when it shouldn't, but the vast majority of the letters now are perfect.)

1. Redrawing of graphs and pie/bar charts is a bit slow. Not a wine issue - an X issue, I assume. Not a big deal (I run a 2.4GHz P4 - on a slower machine, it might get annoying).

2. I have yet to be able to register the program. I believe it tries to open Explorer in a window (the window says "Loading browser..."), and for some reason can't. (I have IE installed, and the other Microsoft apps launch it even when I don't want them to!) This does not prevent me from doing updates - I just close the window that is trying to load the browser, click on Cancel when it asks me if I want to cancel registration, and then the update proceeds normally.

3. The sound doesn't always work. It does go "cha ching" when you enter a transaction, but the opening little 3 or 4 note tune when you start the program doesn't play. No loss. I find it annoying anyway 😊

So from what I have seen so far, I'd give Quicken 2004 at least a bronze and maybe a silver. More testing of some of the deeper functions is needed, but so far, I have to say "Wow - good job CodeWeavers!"

Actually, if you use CrossOver Office, you don't need to do any
of the font stuff; we've licensed those patents from Apple.

Also, our install process should auto launch the autorun itself.

Cheers,

Jeremy

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZHhDTkZGdEVCVnBtcVVIZSIsImdkcHIiOjB9