Quicken 2007 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Ubuntu 7.04 issues...

(Edit: There is a workaround now...see later posts below)

I cannot seem to get Quicken 07 running on the new Ubuntu...keeps crashing out with <ExceptionID>0xc0000005</ExceptionID>
<ExceptionDescription>EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION</ExceptionDescription>

The verbose output on the command line is:
err:ole:TLB_ReadTypeLib Loading of typelib L"C:\Program Files\Quicken\QWUTIL.dll" failed with error 1813
fixme:commdlg:GetFileName95 Flags 0x00808000 not yet implemented
err:shell:SHGetFileInfoW pidl is null!

I bet the last line is where the crash is!

1. I tried moving my good known bottle. Didn't work
  2. I tried a new install (using the tips here) Still crashes.

The interesting thing is that it doesn't crash until I try to "login" to my quicken file or create a new one.

Something is different about cxoffice under this version of ubuntu.

Jae

I'm also having trouble. I tried following the Tips and Tricks, but I downloaded Quicken 2007 -- I don't have a CD (so much for trying to be environmentally friendly...).

This is the error I'm getting:

<ErrorInfo>
<ErrorType>UnhandledException</ErrorType>
<ModuleName>C:\Program Files\Quicken\qw.exe</ModuleName>
<ExceptionInfo>
<ExceptionID>0xc0000005</ExceptionID>
<ExceptionDescription>EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION</ExceptionDescription>
<ExceptionAddress>0x70D37550</ExceptionAddress>
</ExceptionInfo>
</ErrorInfo>

I mostly followed the Tips and Tricks. I installed Quicken, changed the bottle as instrcuted, removed the files as instructed, and then had to install IE using the built-in installer (no CD, so no IE on a CD). The changes to user.reg don't seem to make a difference to this error.

Me too.

Did a clean install from scratch on a fresh Ubuntu 7.04, Quicken fails immediately on startup, doesn't even finish the Welcome screen. Have to reboot to recover, no log info available.

IE6 works fine, BTW.

I guess it will be Moneydance for me. <sigh>

I'm seeing the same problem on Ubuntu 7.04 with Quicken Premeir 2007 download version, with a known good bottle or a complete reinstallation of Quicken and IE6. I had it working fine under Ubuntu 6.10 after dealing with the missing fonts and the IE6 install.

I'm also unable to get Quicken running in Ubuntu 7.04. I also tried wine 0.9.36, with even less luck. :(

I know I'm staying at Ubuntu 6.10 until I can get this figured out.

Received bypass for this today.

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets/browse/?ticket_id=122496

Mike beat me to it...I got this too (for those to lazy to click):

look in /usr/share/fonts/truetype

sudo mv arphic ../..
or you can move it somewhere else for safekeeping.

That removed the fonts causing the issue. If you are using ukai.ttf uming.ttf then this will cause problems as it basically removes them from your fontserver.

Thanks Aric!

If you happen to want ukai.ttf and uming.ttf (Chinese fonts) here is a second workaround that I have confirmed works.

Update your ukai.ttf file to one that does not have an known error.
download
http://apt.debian.org.tw/pool/t/ttf-arphic-ukai/ttf-arphic-ukai_0.1.20060108.orig.tar.gz
and inside that package is ukai.ttf

replace the file /usr/share/fonts/truetype/arphic/ukai.ttf with the one in the downloaded package and crossover starts working.

-aric

Also I installed the Truetype fonts and got button text back - though it still needs the "Tahoma"="Times New Roman" kludge.

Thanks Aric.

So does this font problem need to be reported as an Ubuntu bug?

So I followed the "Combined Tip" for One Step Update and Fonts, AND the Ubuntu 7.04 Tip.

I am happy to say that Quicken 2007 is the first Quicken to work on my Ubuntu Feisty. Yay!

However, I cannot register my legal copy of Quicken, and hence, I cannot get One Step Update to work. Any clues?

I had an issue where I couldn't register one time, when I was still on Windows. I would suggest removing your current Quicken bottle and re-installing.

i sure would like to get Quicken working. Can you tell me if any of your are using 64-bit Feisty Fawn?

ok, I took the plunge!

I downloaded cxoffice and installed it (it has a Unbuntu 64-bit mode by the way).

I installed quicken 6. Moved that pesky font. Seemed to go ok. Restored my file. Seemed ok. Tried to register so quicken would update to rev. 5. CRASH!

Had to hard reboot

I thought, "Hey, maybe there was a version conflict since my install was still at rev 1 and my saved file is Rev 5."

so, after rebooting, I re-launched Quicken, said started a new file, tried to update. Fails saying that "Quicken could not stop all running components"

Huh? Ok, went to Quicken.com and downloaded the manual update. Installed it with cxoffice and...."Quicken could not stop all running components"

So, I don't know what to do now. I'm pretty sure i will have to update to Rev 5 before anything works. Any hints?

Oh, and also, could some one clairify? How I install Windows True Type Fonts under cxoffice or a Unbuntu version? And can anyone point me where to get them?

To get MS fonts, do sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts on a command line. That's all you need to do.

As to getting Quicken 2006 working. I tried and eventually gave up, even after spending quite a bit of time with CodeWeavers' customer support. Quicken 2007 comes a lot closer to working, but it still doesn't let me do One Step Update or anything else that relies upon IE. That part of it is still working.

thanks Scott, that worked at least.

Bummer about Quicken 2006. I don't want to buy 2007 since it is also on Rev 5 so that wouldn't be much help if it will not update either. Plus, if i am going to update, then quicken 2008 is just a few months away.

I did notice something else though. when I tried to manually install Rev 5, I got a message that the disk was full. i don't know why, I'm sure I have gigs of space left, even if when i right click on file system in Computer Broswer I don't get any information (as apposed to hda2, which tells me 5.5 gig free). How can i find out how much free space I have left? and is this a "bottle" problem, with cxoffice not allocating enough space?

Das Goat wrote:

How can i find out how much free space I have left? and is this a
"bottle" problem, with cxoffice not allocating enough space?

I would try this:

scott@jaguar:~$ [b]df[/b]
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1             75418912   3871864  67715952   6% /
varrun                  253668       264    253404   1% /var/run
procbususb              253668       112    253556   1% /proc/bus/usb
udev                    253668       112    253556   1% /dev
/dev/sdb1            292962048 127819360 165142688  44% /media/seagate

In my case, /dev/sda1 is my main internal harddrive, and it is only 6% full. I doubt if cxoffice is limiting your space. I would imagine that instead there's some bug in the install executable.

In all my efforts to get various versions of Quicken to work, I think I must have installed, deleted bottles, reinstalled, re-deleted bottles, etc. like a hundred times. I never saw that particular space problem, but I did see some pretty flaky stuff that would not be repeated each time I did a new install.

I guess that's the hazard of using the WINE type technology... it's lucky if it works, but kind of kludgey.

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda4 10459964 3308184 6620432 34% /
varrun 641892 92 641800 1% /var/run
varlock 641892 0 641892 0% /var/lock
procbususb 641892 124 641768 1% /proc/bus/usb
udev 641892 124 641768 1% /dev
devshm 641892 0 641892 0% /dev/shm
lrm 641892 38972 602920 7% /lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/volatile
/dev/hda1 53849844 32493096 21356748 61% /media/hda1
/dev/hda2 8649576 2508380 5701820 31% /media/hda2

I'm not sure how I read this. i think that hda1 is my XP install (since it was on the HD first)
hda2 I am guessing is my first instance of Ubuntu.
hda3 should be the swap file, if I am reading the installation stuff right
and hda4 is my second instance of Ubuntu, the one I am using now (I have this project i am working on to make a proper back up of a fully functioning personal Ubuntu distro. So only when i get something working correctly in the second instance, I install that to the first instance. I found a thread to teach me to image it when I am done.)

in any case, there appears to be more than enough room anywhere i would want to install Rev 5

For your interest, I have had a bit better luck here on this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2833018#post2833018

with Virtual Box, I have been able to install an old copy of Win98. Presumably, when I get the VM settings for the wireless to work, then I can install Quicken in the VM and it will work. I realize that this is kind of a kludge, in that i have to run a VM of windows to get my quicken to work, but until cxoffice actually works with Quicken, I can't justify paying for it. That is a shame too, because I really want to get rid of windows all together.

[CODE]
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda4 10459964 3308184 6620432 34% /
varrun 641892 92 641800 1% /var/run
varlock 641892 0 641892 0% /var/lock
procbususb 641892 124 641768 1% /proc/bus/usb
udev 641892 124 641768 1% /dev
devshm 641892 0 641892 0% /dev/shm
lrm 641892 38972 602920 7% /lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/volatile
/dev/hda1 53849844 32493096 21356748 61% /media/hda1
/dev/hda2 8649576 2508380 5701820 31% /media/hda2
[/CODE]

As far as reading the above goes, notice where the devices are "Mounted on".

/dev/hda4 is mounted on / which is your main root partition of unix. You could probably do a "cd /dev/hda4" and see the main root dir.
/dev/hda1 is mounted on a media slot, so it's probably some kind of external device like usb or CDROM.
/dev/hda2 is also mounted on a media slot. I would "cd /media/hda1" or "2" and see what's there. That should tell you.

Too bad about the Quicken. I have given up for the time being, still using it on my one remaining XP computer in the basement. Sucks to do that, but maybe in a year or so, the support will be there. Or else I'll decide to transition to gnucash or something.

I was able to get Quicken 2007 installed and it appears to do all of the budget stuff normally (I haven't given it a full run yet). I followed the arphic font solution and the Tips & Tricks (though for me Quicken ran without fiddling with the bottle).

However, I am also experiencing the issue with the update feature. Obviously, being able to get One Step Update to work would be highly valuable. After following the T&T I couldn't get IE6 to function in the Quicken 2007 bottle.

John Wheaton wrote:

I was able to get Quicken 2007 installed and it appears to do all of
the budget stuff normally (I haven't given it a full run yet). I
followed the arphic font solution and the Tips & Tricks (though for
me Quicken ran without fiddling with the bottle).

However, I am also experiencing the issue with the update feature.
Obviously, being able to get One Step Update to work would be highly
valuable. After following the T&T I couldn't get IE6 to function in
the Quicken 2007 bottle.

It's pretty much my conclusion, after being involved deeply in this forum and in the Ubuntuforum.org forum, that IE6 and Quicken2007 don't yet work together. I haven't heard ANYBODY who's gotten One Step Update working.

Scott Harris wrote:

It's pretty much my conclusion, after being involved deeply in this
forum and in the Ubuntuforum.org forum, that IE6 and Quicken2007
don't yet work together. I haven't heard ANYBODY who's gotten One
Step Update working.

I think the problem is that after switching the bottle to win2k and installing Quicken, there are DLLs or registry entries that are changed. When switching the bottle back to win98, IE does not register as having 128-bit encryption -- instead it says it has 0-bit. I did an install of IE6 plain in a Win98 bottle and it registered loud and clear as having 128-bit encryption.

On the upside, one can at least download the software updates from Quicken: https://quicken.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/quicken.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5528&p_sid=7lNyFuGi&p_lva=3793#

1 to 23 of 23

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVE5UQlYybUNyOExucUViSCIsImdkcHIiOjB9