Quicken 2011 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Fonts in Q2012

I've been pretty happy running Q2012 (Home and Business) under OSX Snow Leopard. The program is slow, but it works and that's what matters.

One problem has been what I'd call "font metrics." Quicken's main font for page titles, when converted on the Mac, is too big for the area where the titles are presented and text can get badly truncated. But usually, since these are titles, you basically know what they say and can deal with it. Until now. I've started using Quicken's budgeting tools and here the font problem is a show stopper. At the top of the budget window is a statement of your monthly spending. And instead of, for example "$1,423.00", you get "$1,..." In other words, it's useless. There are other values that I can't read, as well.

Does anybody have a suggestion for this one? Is there a way to change the font conversions that Crossover uses?

And if not, I'd say that this is worth some time from the Crossover team. It's the biggest problem I've seen so far.

Many thanks,
Steve

Steve,
I can only give you some general comments, which I hope are helpful.

When I first began using Quicken on my iMac, thru Crossover, I had similar issues. I started with Quicken Home & Business 2009, now I'm on Quicken Home & Business 2011.

Somewhere along the way, during my repetitive installs of Quicken updates, this problem was resolved. My guess is that it's one of two things. First, make sure Arial installed. I simply recall that getting Arial to install was an issue for me.

Second, be sure you're running at least IE7

I wish I could recall exactly what sequence of events resolved the issue for me, but I can at least assure you there is hope !!

David

Thanks, David. It's good to know that this can work.

I don't have IE properly installed in that bottle. I suppose that could be it. I have the IE framework, but there was a glitch with the IE install and now, when Quicken runs it to get Help on the web, it opens but doesn't connect.

I do have Arial working -- in OSX.

Maybe I need to create a new bottle and then install Q2012 and finally IE again. Any caveats to that?

Steve

Definitely try the reinstall. Arial needs to be installed in the same bottle as Q2012 and IE7 as well. If you can get those to install properly, I'd give you good odds that will solve the issue.

By the way, if you reinstall and delete the old bottle, just make sure your Quicken data files are not in that bottle. The reality is your data files can be located anywhere on your hard disk.

David

Got it, thanks. I will reinstall and report back. Data files are not in the bottle -- they were installed by default in the Mac's Documents folder.

The process goes like this?

1. Open Crossover
  2. Create new bottle
  3. Install Quicken (or am I better off using the CrossTie? That's what I did before.)
  4. Install IE
  5. If it works, trash the old bottle.

Do I need to worry about anti-virus for IE?

Many thanks again,
Steve

Don't worry about Anti-Virus, you're not running Windows, which is where all the vulnerabilities lie.

Well, I did a new install, into a new bottle, with the full IE7 install as well. No love. Still can't see the header in the Planning tab, where they tell you how much money you've spent. Another example: the Property tab says "Property &"

I am able to get on the web with IE7, but I didn't really need that. And Arial is installed into the new bottle. Along with many other fonts.

Also, I still can't get the full help system going. This was a problem before, as well, and I thought it might have to do with IE. As with the other bottle, I get script errors, and then a window that says the page can't be displayed.

Are you sure that you see the header in the Planning tab? If you haven't set up a budget yet things might look normal.

Any suggestions?

To give up and go back to the way things were, do I have Crossover delete the bottle? Will that also delete the stuff in User > Applications > Crossover? I've got two of everything in there. (Billminder, Quicken 2012, Quicken Online Backup).

Thanks again,
Steve

I just started using Cross Over to use Quicken on my Mac. I tried the Mac version of Quicken and was thoroughly disappointed. I am running Lion and the install worked great first time around. I did have one issue about registering and the font, but then saw this thread and installed IE7. After that installed in the Quicken bottle everything was great. I am still on the trial version, but excited that everything seems to work. Crossover seems like a great product.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZFJWNHlnQXV6YlNCcTd3TiIsImdkcHIiOjB9