Quicken 2012 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Quick 2012 The Frozen Wasteland

There have been many, many threads of Quicken problems over the years. Some seem to have gotten it to work, but many of those seem to be running Macs, rather than Linux. As such, I have taken the liberty of opening a new thread.

After much struggle, I finally managed to get Quicken Deluxe 2012 to install on my LinuxMint system. However, as soon as I click on the Quicken icon, the front page loads and unloads three times. Then when I click on an action (it does not matter what action), the application crashes and my computer freezes. I am forced to log out and/or restart.

In one thread from last year, entitled "Cannot Open Files," it was suggested that you move the data file icon ontop of the program icon to correct the problem. This failed as well.

Any ideas? I hate the prospect of transferring 16 years of data to another program, particular as the Linux versions differ so much.

Thanks.

Larry Walsh wrote:

After much struggle, I finally managed to get Quicken Deluxe 2012 to
install on my LinuxMint system.

Can you describe your installation troubles? I do not know whether you started in part from the 'CrossTie' file for the Mac. If you had problems during installation which were not solved by the Mac 'CrossTie' then we are curious to hear about them. (I understand, of course, that you may not be familiar with the Mac 'CrossTie' file at all. If not, that is perfectly reasonable.)

Larry Walsh wrote:

However, as soon as I click on the Quicken icon, the front page
loads and unloads three times. Then when I click on an action (it
does not matter what action), the application crashes and my
computer freezes. I am forced to log out and/or restart.

This particular problem is actually a window drawing behind the Quicken window rather than in front of it. While it won't make it useful, you may be able to press 'Escape' if this happens to you again in order to regain control of the main Quicken window to close the application without logout/restart.

At present, we believe we have solved the problem you are encountering and it appears that the next version of CrossOver will be able to run Quicken 2012. Of course, that is contingent upon how overall Quicken 2012 performance does in beta testing, but it looks good right now.

The next version of CrossOver (the one likely to run Quicken 2012) will be out in a few weeks. If you can wait, check back and it will likely work before April. If you can't wait that long ... are you a beta tester?

Cheers,

Josh.

Josh,

Thanks for your response. I am more than willing to wait for a new version of CrossOver that looks like it might handle Quicken 2012. Quicken changed its download system, so older versions no longer work.

The problems installing Quicken using CrossTie were mine, rather than CrossOver's. I have just switched over to LinuxMint from Windows, and the learning curve is steep.

I originally tried to install the Quicken for Wine, which didn't work. I had downloaded the Quicken program directly from Intuit.

I discovered CrossOver and decided to give that a try. Unfortunately, I was unable to locate the Quicken install package in Downloads. I went on line and got mistaken information as what the install program was. After more than a day of trying to get things to work, I finally deleted all Intuit/Quicken files and started from scratch.

It worked as far as installation was concerned. I guess when all else fails, follow directions.

Thanks again. Good luck on the new CrossOver.

I had the frozen issue with the first version of Crossover 11. Everything is working great now.

I had that issue with the latest stable Wine 1.4 (from the Wine PPA) on Lubuntu 11.10. I could install Quicken 2012 (following instructions in winehq's app database for Quicken 2011), but when I got to the gray opening screen (where you tell Quicken whether you are a new or returning user), everything froze. It did in fact appear that things were being drawn behind the Quicken window, making the system seem "frozen".

Crossover 11.0.0-1 works, though. I used the .tie file to install Quicken 2012, and though there were some hiccups (the installer wouldn't recognize that the XML parser or DotNet 2.0 were done installing, so I had to restart the installation process a couple times), once it was all done, Quicken works very well.

The only glitches I see so far are a few small font rendering issues - sometimes fonts are too big for the buttons they're in, or very small fonts are incompletely rendered (portions of letters - individual pixels - are missing). I think that gives Quicken 2012 a "Gold" rating in CodeWeaver's compatibility rating system. At least, that's what I rated it.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWW0yS0VzTjZTZXhkYmJxUCIsImdkcHIiOjB9