Quicken 2015 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Missing Menu Items

I often (but not always) get blank menus for individual account settings. That is when I select an account, I can see the register on the screen but when I select the little settings gear, the menu items are blank. See attached screen shot.

Any suggestions?

What is your OS?

I have the same issue with menu items not being visible when clicking on the "gear".

Also, the account details screen shows 3 tabs toward the upper-left of the window, but those tabs are lacking labels and I am not permitted to change tabs. As a result, I cannot change my credit card number for a card that was replaced after a breach. (Same account; just a different account number.)

Any suggestions?

Quicken 2015
OSX Yosemite 10.10.2
Crossover 14.0.3

Doug

This issue has been forwarded to the Official CodeWeavers Ticket System. If you have observed this issue and would like to report it as well, please open a support ticket or send an email to info@codeweavers.com with a description of what you are seeing and a link to this post.

Thank you!
The CodeWeavers Team

I know this seems like a cheesy answer but what's worked for me in the past is to restart quicken and then the menu items reappear.

michel young wrote:

I know this seems like a cheesy answer but what's worked for me in
the past is to restart quicken and then the menu items reappear.

This is exactly why we are having such a difficult time triaging this bug. It is a well known problem with Quicken 2014 & 2015. Unfortunately, as soon as we get it to happen, we restart Quicken to turn on logging or to try out a possible fix and the behavior is gone. We have little way of knowing if the fix is actually real or if it's because of the restart and we have run for months without seeing the problem. Then, it will suddenly reappear meaning our possible fixes are not fixes and we're back to square one.

Our apologies for the inconvenience on this issue. We continue to try to find reproducible steps that will always make it happen and we continue to test possible solutions.

I'm using Quicken 15 re-labelled as "Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2015" - i.e. the Australian version - on Crossover Version 14.1.1 on Yosemite 10.10.3. At some point after installation on the previous version of Crossover all the tab and button labels had disappeared, which meant I had to rely on muscle memory to use the program. When I updated to 14.1.1 the labels re-appeared, but subsequently disappeared again. Closing and re-opening the program did not help.

Just now, however, I noticed for the first time the "Simulate Reboot" icon on the Crossover control panel for the Quicken 15 bottle. I closed the program, simulated Reboot, and re-opened Quicken. Lo and behold, the labels are back. How long will they last? - we'll see. But at least this technique has worked.

Thanks for this suggestion. I tried it and it worked! Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be a "consistent fix"; when the probably has surfaced subsequently, rebooting doesn't seem to always cure it ☹️.

I am having this issue as well. My only solution is to close Quicken, then use the simulated reboot within Crossover, close Crossover, then re-open Quicken. Generally solves the problem for a day or so, but it keeps coming back.

I think the problem may have something to do with the speed of the machine that is running Crossover. On my 2011 iMac I have the problem but not on my new MacBook Pro. The iMac has plenty of RAM but Quicken does run a little slowly on it.

I was having this problem on both Yosemite and El Capitan (10.11) using Crossover Version 14.1.10 (14.1.10.28605) (and earlier versions) and Quicken 2015 release R 8 (24.1.8.1) (and earlier versions). I could sometimes temporarily fix the problem by maximizing Quicken, then making Quicken smaller, resizing the window then restarting Quicken.

Two weeks ago I replaced the hard drive on my MacBook Pro with an SSD. After restoring from time machine, Quicken showed a black screen so I deleted the bottle and re-installed Quicken (on the above versions) and have not had a problem since. I also noticed that prior to the reinstall Quicken files were not displaying with the Quicken icon. After the install the all Quicken files show with the correct icon.

My problem also appears to be fixed. I am not sure if it was the upgrade to El Capitan or the upgrade of Crossover to version 14.1.10 (14.1.10.28605) but all is well now.

Have the same problem - running El Capitan 11.11.1, CrossOver 14.1.11 (14.1.11.28612) and Quicken 2015 24.1.8.1. As far as hardware - standard SATA hard disks...

For a time, quit and re-launch of Quicken would restore the menus. Then it started to take a quit/re-launch of CrossOver as well. Now I'm unable to get the menus (File, Edit, Reports, etc.) to display. I've tried the simulated reboot as well with no success. And, I've reset to the default Mac Browser with no success. I do have performance graphics checked (unchecking doesn't seem to have any affect). And, I have the bottle checked as the default bottle. Looked in the Task Manager - only unusual thing is that CPU seems to be spiking to 100% when nothing is happening. And, that's all the menu items and control panel items I can find that would seem to have an effect except the option to "Clear and Rebuild programs" which I have not tried...says it will delete a folder and any changes I've made and I'm not sure what that means... Only other item to note is I've also tried using keyboard shortcuts to access the menus without success (alt + first letter in menu title - I'm using fn-option on my Mac Keyboard for the "alt")...

This is a showstopper for me - I can't use CrossOver without these menus as I use multiple Quicken files which I access through the file menu.

Any other suggestions on things to try?

Thanks.

Hi Everyone,

Myy first posting so apologies if i step on any toes.

I had this same issue in Quicken 2016 (purchased from Amazon). I'm running CrossOver 15.0 on Yosemite 10.10.5. I just tried the reboot suggestion from above. It worked and the menus came back. I'll see how long it lasts.

Thanks for the suggestions -- this thread was very helpful, even if the "fix" winds up being temporary - at least now i can see the menus.

Bob

This problem has been plaguing me for a long time. I tried the Both the rebooting trick and the window maximize trick to very limited success. I had even searched for every crossover process and killed it, to no avail. It was not until I discovered that the processes don't show as standard Linux processes.

[~] $ ps auxwww | grep ${USER} | grep -i "c:"
dean 9603 0.0 0.0 2646968 2840 ? Ssl 10:33 0:00 C:\windows\system32\services.exe
dean 9615 0.0 0.0 2658476 11344 ? Sl 10:33 0:00 C:\windows\system32\winedevice.exe MountMgr
dean 9621 0.0 0.0 2645484 2376 ? Sl 10:33 0:00 C:\windows\system32\plugplay.exe
dean 9666 0.0 0.0 2647680 2572 ? Ssl 10:33 0:00 C:\windows\system32\rpcss.exe

After quicken was closed and no other cxoffice application was running, I still see stray Windows style processes running. By killing them off before running Quicken,it starts normally. I have tested and restarted Quicken about 50 times with 100% success.

I wrote a little script that kills Windows processes that I can run before or after I run Quicken:

---Begin script --

!/bin/bash

cx_kill.sh

Quicken opens without menus when there

are residual processes running. This

script kills all running Windows proceses.

WARNING: This will not just target the

Quicken botle.

Get a list of PIDs related to Windows proceses

List="$(ps auxwww | grep ${USER} | grep -i "c:" |grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}')"

Cycle through each PID and kill it

for PIDs in $(echo -e "${List}")
do
kill -9 $PIDs
done

Send notification of the action

zenity --info --text="CX Kill Complete.\n${List}"

--end script--

I know that this is a sledgehammer approach, but it at least proves the cause of the issue and provides a solution for me.. Maybe someone can streamline my solution.

I hope this helps someone else.

Regards,
Dean

This issue has been forwarded to the Official CodeWeavers Ticket System. If you have observed this issue and would like to report it as well, please open a support ticket or send an email to info@codeweavers.com with a description of what you are seeing and a link to this post.

Thank you!
The CodeWeavers Team

Wow Dean. That is an excellent solution. Maybe the Codeweavers folks can incorporate that in an update.

Forgive my ignorance but how do I run that script? Script editor?

1 to 15 of 15

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidjU0VUZ2SllQQng3UDVtZiIsImdkcHIiOjB9