Quicken 2017 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Quicken 2017

Any information on how Quicken 2017 will work through Codeweavers? Any information on installation and/or performance issues? Thanks!

I haven't been able to get it to work. Crossover (v.15.3.1) first installed it into an XP bottle which popped up an error saying it wasn't supported on that version of Windows. So deleted that and tried agin with a Win 7 bottle. This installation was too fast for my tastes; it seemed like not all the required files were installed. And of course, it wouldn't open. Might try again later using a Win 10 bottle.

Hi!

Any update on if this runs or not? I'm finding the Mac version of quicken lacking when it comes to budget so thinking of doing a cross office/quicken windows 2017 option; if it works of course 😉

Thanks!
Alan

Have installed the Australian version, known as Reckon Accounts 2017. Installed it using a Quicken 2016 tie. Opens and runs somewhat roughly, screens don't seems to render quite correctly. Buttons are missing dialoge.

Have upgraded my crossover to 15.3. Screens render correctly now and buttons have dialog. At the moment I'm just testing it using a trial licence before committing to pay for the upgrade.

Hoping to upgrade to Q17. Wondering if Phill, or anyone, else has additional experience regarding installation and/or performance issues. Thanks.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

I've retried the installation of Quicken 2017 this morning, except that, this time, I enabled verbose logging. This is probably the 10th time I've attempted the install, but the first with any kind of logging. Here's my setup:

Software: Crossover 15.3.0
Platform: Fedora 24 64-bit
Installing: Quicken 2017
Bottle: Quicken_2017 (Windows 7)

However, when I started my installation test this morning, I noticed that there's now a Quicken 2017 entry to install (there wasn't before, it was always an "unlisted application") so that suggests that Quicken 2017 can now be installed; sure enough, while setting up, I see that there will be a lot more going on during the installation: several MS fonts were identified for downloading, and in addition to .NET 4.6.1 (which is included as part of the Quicken installation), .NET 2.0 and 4.0 were identified for downloading as well as the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable and the Platform SDK redistributable (GDI+).

During the actual installation, I saw and responded to the Microsoft installation prompts. Remember, .NET 2.0 takes an eternity to install; newer versions are faster. Next, .NET 4.0 installed followed by .NET 4.6.1 afterwards.

Finally, the Quicken 2017 installation starts, and .NET 4.6.1 installs first (again), followed by the Quicken installation and update.

But, at the moment of truth, Quicken won't start: it tries to start (opens the parent window), but fails and kills itself, and that sequence repeats itself (as near as I can tell) continually. It took me about a dozen tries to finally kill it.

We're not there yet ...

I purchased Quicken 2017 from Amazon and installed on Crossover today. Installation was reported to be fine. I was able to open Quicken 2017 and go through the conversion of my Quicken 2014 data file. But the Quicken 2017 program will not allow me to sign into intuit as required. I am able to enter my username and password, but then there is a screen that asks for address and where the product was purchased. After entering this information a window appears that says "OOPS"... and the screen appears as shown on this page on the quicken support site:

https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-registering-quicken-windows

The current Windows User is unable to Write to the Quicken System folder where the registration is logged. This may be due to simple permissions issues or settings from prior installations preventing access.

Before using any of the Solution/Work-Around Options, you must be able to View Hidden Files & Folders to complete the steps.

And then there are many steps listed that I don't understand and am not sure how the crossover program works in relation to the steps listed.

Update ... I can now get to the registration screen; after entering my information, I am presented with the dreaded "Oops!" message:

"Oops! Something went wrong! We weren't able to sign you up. Please check your internet connection." I'm posting this from the same computer, the Internet connection is fine.

I tried applying the mondo patch (currently QW2017R3MPatch.EXE) as that had been recommended for earlier versions on native Windows-based installations, but once it reaches the end of the progress bar, it hangs in a wait state and must be terminated. Subsequent attempts to run the patch pick up where that left off at.

I've also tried using that bottle's iexplore.exe to log into my Quicken account; http://www.winehq.com is the default start page, and it renders slowly but correctly. When I try to log into my via Quicken account at https://login.quicken.com/?response_type=code&client_id=quicken_estore&redirect_uri=https%3A//www.quicken.com/qam-callback)), it throws a security warning regarding "a problem with the certificate for the site" and that "The certificate is issued by an unknown or untrusted publisher". AND, when I click Yes (to continue), the page only partially loads: "Sign in" appears, but below that, the username and password fields never load. On my regular browser, I can log in without any issues.

I found a solution: I duplicated my Quicken_2016 bottle and created a new bottle named Quicken_2017. For security purposes, I also validated my current QDF file, made corrections, then made a copy of it (all from the File menu options). Then I installed Quicken 2017 as previously described into the duplicated bottle--it first uninstalled Quicken 2017--and selected the new QDF file before starting registration ... Voila! Registration succeeded! When it completed, the process required the bottle to be restarted, so I did. Then, I successfully opened Quicken 2017 with the copied QDF file ... it's a different look, but it's still recognizable. Now the testing begins.

First, I notice that Q2017 doesn't play very well with the screen when it's open in full-screen mode, I can't get at the bottom panel where other already open applications can be accessed OR the tray. I can access the menu and I can cycle through open applications via Alt-Tab. If I reduce it to a window then manually resize it to fit the screen, my panel (which is set to auto-hide) doesn't auto-hide. And window resizing ... grab the corner and drag: the mouse moves, the window corner drags, but only incrementally, painfully and slowly. It took about a minute for the screen to settle down to where the application can be used. And after trying it a few times, that IS the behavior.

CrossOver staff: what is it about Quicken that has caused such screen rendering issues year after year?

Community: what alternatives to Quicken have you considered? What about Home & Business users?

I was able to install 2017 Quicken Home and Business but am having the same problem with validating and getting the OOPS message.

Regarding the problem with Quicken not playing very well with the screen when it's open in full-screen mode - the problem occurs with me in Q2016 as well. I consider the workaround a small annoyance relative to the ability to still be able to use Quicken for Windows on my Mac w/o having to buy VWWare Fusion or Parallels and a Windows OS.

We're still working on getting Quicken 2017 running in Crossover 16 and hope to have it fully functional early next year.

As I understand from the programmers, each time Quicken changes over the version of .NET it relies on we run into windowing issues and connectivity problems as the .NET calls change and aren't fully translated in Crossover. It happened back in Quicken 2014 and took us a couple months of programming to fix up. With Quicken 2017 they've switched to .NET 4.6.1 which again needs translation programming.

We were able to work around some of the Windows 7 issues in Quicken 2016 by having Crossover tell Quicken's installer it was running under Windows 7, but then running the actual Quicken application under Windows XP which disabled some of the new windowing calls (mostly touchscreen related), but now that Quicken 2017 has moved to a newer .NET there's no workaround, just have to do the programming to make it work correctly.

Andrew,
Is there anything new to this problem?
Thanks,
Ron

I seem to have gotten it to work...

1. Installed Quicken 2017 using Crossover's Quicken 2016 installation routine
  2. A bottle titled Quicken 2016 was created with the Quicken 2017 application in it. (I renamed the bottle to Quicken 2017)
  3. Using the wine configuration app in the bottle, I changed the windows version on the "Applications" tab from XP to Windows 10
    Everything seems to work fine.

I confirm Ray's post. This worked fine for me. Thank yo Ray and all of those who helped.

I was able to successfully install Q17 using Ray's method. However, in testing some basics I found it didn't work well. Using the "magnifier" to drill down on spending categories on the home page would cause Q17 to freeze. I tried installing the R3 Mondo patch and it froze mid-install. It would open and function as before and indicated that it had been updated through R2, but after a half dozen attempts I gave up. Sigh. I'm nervous about going forward with this, so I'll go back to Q16.

Yes - John is correct... There are a few actions that will cause Quicken 2017 to freeze (he identified a couple). That said, the bulk of the features seem to work just fine with decent performance and rendering. This at least allows me to use the program until Crossover is able to develop a fully functioning version that supports Q17. Update: looks like R3 successfully installed (see screenshot). image

Ray, how did you get it to update? I got Q2017 up and running and it updated to R2. I cant get past waiting for it to download the update, freezes at that point.
Thanks,
Ron

Ronald D Thompson wrote:

Ray, how did you get it to update? I got Q2017 up and running and
it updated to R2. I cant get past waiting for it to download the
update, freezes at that point.
Thanks,
Ron

I started Q2017 this AM and it downloaded R3 all by itself. Miracles never cease.

Someone had asked about Home and Business.... I followed the steps documented above including changing the applications to Windows 10. It took about 4 times opening Quicken for it to actually work. The first time it got stuck on the login to Quicken.com (not the Quicken 2017 H&B login), then it got stuck on the registration window and then twice it got stuck trying to search for updates. I had to force quit Quicken and Wineloader each time, but the finally was allowed into Quicken Home and Business 2017. Like 2015, it's having a hard time loading the newest update to the software. With 2015, it sometimes eventually worked; hoping it will eventually work for 2017. Other than locking up with the software update, It seems to work about the same as Home and Business 2015. The reports are still extremely slow to load and lock up which was the main thing I was hoping was resolved. I'd say save your money if your current version is working.

If you're lucky enough to have a PC around, Quicken 2017 can also be loaded on that machine. Then, when you run it through the update process, you can copy the updated Quicken Program folder and transfer all of its contents into the Quicken bottle on the Mac, replacing what was there.

This worked for me on the last two update releases.

Not perfect, but at least my workhorse Mac works. Report production and window resizing still seems buggy though...

To be honest, Quicken 2017 doesn't seem to do much more than what Quicken 2016 already does.

R4 Update just loaded no problem... Everything seems to work well. The patches and version updates don't seem to load when you try to initiate them from within the program. I think the best way to install them is to close out of the program and then restart Quicken. The update will initiate before the program fires up.

Any update on when crossover will be set to install quicken 2017 without using any of the tricks discussed in this thread? My Quicken 2014 will be cut off by intuit in April 2017 and I would like to know when to expect crossover to have fixed the installation issues. Thank you

I have the same issue as Wes, so will have to upgrade to Quicken 2017 soon. Is there any update on how to best install it with Crossover for Mac?

Waiting here as well and will purchase CrossOver upgrade if/when Quicken 2017 support becomes available.

I am running Quicken 2015, and since CodeWeavers has now released a version supposedly supporting Quicken 2017, I am considering to do the Quicken update. Anyone who has done it can tell us if it is a 1) safe upgrade that works fine, and 2) it is worth the upgrade from Quicken 2015 to 2017?

I don't think Crossover should consider that they have solved the Quicken 2017 compatibility problems. In my situation, it is true that the main quicken 2017 file installed propertly as version R2. However, each time I start the Quicken 2017 program it searches for an update, appears to start installing it, but then fails. Although the R2 program opens and can be used, the program tries to update itself whenever I download financial data for my accounts. I downloaded the mondo patch for Q2017 from Intuit and am unable to install it in the Quicken 2017 bottle. The installation fails. So it appears more work is needed on this.

Wes Hough: As for your comment on trying to do an update after launching the program each time, let me tell you that I am running Quicken 2015, and the behavior that you mention also started appearing the same way as you describe it after the last update of Quicken, a couple of months ago I think it was. However, as you say, even though Quicken seems to want to start an update all the time, and it looks weird, it all seems to work fine after all, nevertheless. Having said that, this strange behavior I don´t know if it is all Quicken´s fault, or if it only happens because of the CrossOver+Quicken combo.

Not sure if this just an issue with me or if others have seen it. I have been using a VM for Quicken for years. So this is the first time I've tried it with CrossOver. Anyways I had to upgrade to 2017. I was able to install it and launch it just fine. The problem stems when I try to load my previous ODF file. It would cause the whole program to lock up. I tried a few times. I even went and installed 2017 on my VM and had it convert my previous version and then tried to use the converted file in CrossOver. It was still locking up. The 2016 tie didn't help either. The only thing I can think of is my data is stored on a NAS but I have that mounted at boot time so it shouldn't see the mount point any differently than physical drives.

Migizi: I don´t know if that´s th eproblem, but you may want to read this: https://www.quicken.com/support/can-i-install-or-use-quicken-network
Quicken does not officially support remote-mounted drives.

I'm running Quicken 2014 via Crossover/Mac (which works pretty seamlessly) and see that Codeweavers just published an update that should support the 2017 version. However, reading the comments here and reviews on Amazon.com for Quicken 2017 (which seem pretty scary) i'm wondering if I should wait until Quicken publishes another update to fix bugs/performance problems. Anyone have any suggestions? I have until the end of April before they sunset 2014...

thanks

Currently running Quicken 2014 will be upgrading to 2017 on latest version of Crossover Mac, presumably will install in a new bottle, does that mean that my quicken 2014 in its old bottle will still be functional.

I have downloaded Crossover 16.1 and successfully loaded Quicken 2017 on it. Quicken 2017 starts up and runs and seems to do everything 2014 did, including on-line account updates, however the Quicken update program in not working. Even though it was a brand new paid for downloaded version of Quicken, it is not current, it is R2 and it desperately wants to update itself to R4, but it can't. I have tried downloading the Mondo patch, and it starts running, but hangs and writes "fixme:thread:NtQueryInformationThread ThreadIsIoPending info class not supported yet" to the log file over and over again. Any thoughts?

I'm new to using CrossOver, and I have the same issue with the R4 updater. I was able to get around the update by copying over my R4 install directory (program files\quicken) from my old windows machine (not ideal but it worked). However every time I open Quicken it still runs the updater which eventually crashes. I'm trying to figure out how to stop it from running the updater at startup, other than that it runs great.

Same issue for me, where the program tries to execute an auto-update every time I start up Quicken, or every time I click on the Update button. The Q2017 program seems to run fine, but it's a super pain to have to wait for the auto update to attempt (and fail) every time. The installer I downloaded from Amazon was R2, and it seems to be stuck there, even though the auto update appears to be successful (no error messages). When will Codeweavers provide either a fix for this, or a way to run the 2017 Mondo update? Is Codeweavers aware of this, and working on it?

I called and Codeweavers is aware and working on it. In the meantime - when the auto-update window come up you can cancel out of it (say yes to "are you sure"). It is a pain, but seems to work. Otherwise everything seems to be working fine, albeit a little slow.

Same problem here-- Quicken checks, then "downloads" a new software update every time I start it or switch files. Hope they fix this soon.

Crossover just announced version 16.2 and the release notes indicate that this addresses the update issue. Anyone tried this with Quicken 2017?

Yes, I have installed the crossover update released this week. I have not noticed a change in Quicken 2017 behavior. The attempt to update Quicken 2017 continues to be a problem. Each time I update my financial information on line the program attempts to look for an update (even though I am on the most recent v4) and then says it is trying to update and then stops. It is just annoying. Only takes a few seconds. But it happens each time.

hmmm - that's disappointing. Suggest you open a ticket with them (or update your existing ticket if you have one open) to make sure they know about this. I've been holding off on moving to 2017 (I'm on 2014) but the clock is ticking on that.

thanks

I'm a Mac user. I installed Quicken 2017 (R1) with Crossover 16.2. The patch program crashed a couple of times. I exited Quicken. Switched to high-res mode. Started quicken again. Exited Quicken. Switched to low-res mode. Started quicken. Told the Help menu to check for updates. Downloaded and applied the R4 update. Now I'm running Quicken 2017 R4.

It has jaggies in low-res mode. I think that's simply a given when using low-res (pixel-doubling) mode. From a "smoke test" perspective, it seems to run in both low-res and high-res mode. Performance is poor. (i.e. It is really slow.)

If you have an agenda of running with Windows, it seems like it might work. I don't have such an agenda. I just want to track my finances with a minimum of messing around with the platform. Performance and appearance are poor enough that I'm probably going to continue running it in a VM.

Yeah, it is indeed a technical achievement to make Quicken run under OS X. Every couple of years I try Crossover again. I run into this every time I try Crossover -- the amazing thing is that running Windows apps without Windows sorta works; the disappointing thing is that it never seems to work well enough to be worth the effort.

I've been running quicken home and business 2014 on a 2009 i7 iMac with an ssd drive with no issues- performance is fine. Just a few minor problems with fonts in some pop ups.

What hardware / OSX version are you on?

Thx

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB
500 GB SSD

OS X 10.11.6
Nothing else consuming significant CPU or RAM, per 'top'.

Just purchased Quicken 2017 Home and Business on CD. Installed into a new Win7 bottle using the default installer. Install ran without any issues including the update to R1. I then started up the app, checked for updates, and it installed R5 flawlessly. I pointed it at my Quicken 2014 data file (20+ accounts, 10 years of data) and it converted it without any issues. Program seems to run fine (display, speed) on my 2014 5k i7 iMac with Fusion drive, but I haven't tested exhaustively yet - in particular, I haven't tried to run a one-step update or run a reconcile. Will report back here if i run into any issues...

It does. At startup it no longer hangs or tries to download the update every time. However you will still see the updater run for a few seconds, but it does nothing and exits (I think it just is a quick update check). Then the next time you do a online update or an Check for update on the Help menu it should download and install the update for you.

Crossover 16.2.0 enables Quicken 2017 Deluxe to install and run well. The only issue I have found is the main drop down menus don't display correctly. There is a thread on this and 2 work-arounds that both work. (press Alt-T and the Tools menu will show correctly, then move your mouse left or right for the menu you want, displayed correctly).

I can't seem to get the invoices to print to pdf. Is anyone else having this problem and anyone know a workaround?

1 to 49 of 49

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieXVwU2tYM1l6cTNjYVBtSyIsImdkcHIiOjB9