Quicken 2017 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Workaround for Quicken 2017 Dropdown Menu Problem under Ubuntu linux

I hope that this will help someone and maybe lead to a proper resolution.

I finally have Quicken 2017 Deluxe mostly running under linux (Quicken 2017 version R4, build 26.1.4.5, running under Crossover 16.1.0 under Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit). I started with the R2 build we had downloaded a few weeks ago, and it upgraded itself at startup (the Check for Upgrades menu option does not seem to work, though: it just opens a window and freezes).

One issue has been making me crazy: the drop down menus don't work right. But I have found a workaround I'd like to share:
Doing an ALT-T will make the Tools menu drop down as normal, and once the Tools menu is displayed, then the other menus can be made to appear by sliding the mouse pointer left and right across the menu bar.

No other ALT-command will work, nor will any menu drop down by simply clicking on it as it should. So it IS possible to access all the bdropdown menu items, if in a rather roundabout way. I'm sure that this is a clue to solving this problem at it's root, but I have not the skills to attempt that.

Quicken support says the menu problem is due to the Windows display properties being set to Large Fonts, and that Quicken requires small fonts to display properly. Maybe Crossover could be patched to modify the font size, but IMHO Quicken should handle this properly, regardless of Windows font settings.

Thank you so much for this workaround! The poor menu support has been bothering me immensely, but at least this helps that issue.

I've noticed other menus being incomplete like the options menu for a given account.

I really hope the next release of CrossOver addresses many of these UI issues as it makes it kind of hard to use Quicken 2017 in the state it is now.

I think I found a better way. In bottle management control panels select Wine Configuration. Select Graphics tab. Check Enable Emulate virtual desktop. Select something your monitor can support and suits your size liking. I'm using 1920 x 1068.

When Quicken starts a blue desktop opens and Quicken starts as if on a Win desktop. It can be sized and moved. Drop downs worked flawlessly for me so far.

You can also play with screen resolution.

Both the ALT-T method and the wine bottle graphics config options described above work. However, the wine bottle option does make it difficult to use other tools while using Quicken 2017 Deluxe. Hopefully Codeweavers will issue a patch so the menus show correctly without tricks. Otherwise, I found that with the latest version of Crossover (16.2.0), Quicken 2017 Deluxe installed correctly and updated correctly.

I noted that this behaviour sets in once I hover over the 2nd option in any drop down menu that has sub-options. In other words, the drop-down menu is stable until you hover past the first option with a sub-menu in any drop-down menu. By avoiding to tread over the menu bar and the drop-down menu then shooting the option you want (i.e. from the left- or the right side of the drop down menu), hassle as it may be, results in a lesser amount of frustration.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVlM5eUNxNTJXOVY3OHFCTSIsImdkcHIiOjB9