Rift Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Planes of Telara Beta - Status

Tried this today with games 10.0
needed to have the following installed prior to launching the game:

Microsoft DirectX Runtime - Modern
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable

Game launches / patches / plays opening video but fails as it tries to connect to the server.

PH

phibertap wrote:

Tried this today with games 10.0
needed to have the following installed prior to launching the game:

Microsoft DirectX Runtime - Modern
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable

Game launches / patches / plays opening video but fails as it tries
to connect to the server.

PH

Running latest Crossover Games Linux (Impersonator hah) the Beta of Rift runs prety much flawlessly.
I did not need to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable, just DirectX.
The only issue I have had is occasionally the sound has lag issues, but VERY rarely.

Glenn Korbey wrote:

Running latest Crossover Games Linux (Impersonator hah) the Beta of
Rift runs prety much flawlessly.
I did not need to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008
Redistributable, just DirectX.
The only issue I have had is occasionally the sound has lag issues,
but VERY rarely.

Wow thats good news, It must have to do with how the game connects to the server but why it works in Linux and not MacOS is beyond me.

The reason I installed the MS Visual C++ runtime is to do with the game prompting me to, it does this right at the start, before I login.

PH

We have our own builtins for some of the vcrun stuff, they don't always identify as the version the app is after. Sometimes the builtins work, other times not (and that can be platform dependent) hence you install native if that's the case - in a perfect world, the functionality should be identical between native and builtin library calls, but wine's always being improved (and nobody's said "we don't need vcrun2008 any more as a dependency"...be nice tho' ;)

...just fyi...

Having problems on my other PC, it just won't connect to the server to download updates, though I think that may be an issue with the PC rather than Crossover/Rift, I'll check more over the weekend if I get time (working all weekend)

Installed and patched the Rift beta flawlessly on Crossover Games 10,0.0.
I didn't need to install the Visual C++ runtime either.

Phibertap - have you checked if the game fails to connect to server because the beta period is up? The beta events only last for a couple of days at a time.

Jonas Islander wrote:

Installed and patched the Rift beta flawlessly on Crossover Games
I didn't need to install the Visual C++ runtime either.

Phibertap - have you checked if the game fails to connect to server
because the beta period is up? The beta events only last for a
couple of days at a time.

Yes I have a couple of computers here, and can connect with no issues on my PC, but on my mac no go. Can also connect on my mac via parallels. It seems like there might be something missing in the way the network connection function works with this game. I also tested with a fresh install of Crossover Games 10.0.0 and a fresh bottle.

Beta is over now until Feb 3, so I will have to test it again then.

Phibertap

I haven't tried using the latest cxGames 10.0, but on my Linux box this game works perfectly using wine 1.3.10. It needed d3dx9_42 to work properly and the installer had some text issues, but once it was installed I experienced no problems whatsoever.

I'll have a try using crossover 10 in the next few weeks.

Even while the beta is up I sometimes have an issue connecting, and have to click update or playa few times before it actually works.
That being said on the other PC I mentioned above I never did get it to work at all...the only difference in the 2 PC's is the network card.The one that works is wired, the other is upstairs and connects via wireless. When the next beta event is active I'll test again.

I didn't even think about that. My iMac is using Wireless and can't connect. When the next Beta fires up I'll give a wired connection a try and report back.

Thanks for the mental nudge :)

Beta 6 started up 20min ago and I've patched and tried to get it to run using the hardline instead of wifi with no luck. I get to the Connecting to Character Selection Server screen and the loading circle gets to 89% then just sits. I let it sit for the past 10min with no change. It is at least acting a little different in that it isn't complaining about not being able to connect to the server as soon as this screen loads. Before it would complain immediately then the loading circle would stop at 49% and complain again.

Anyone have any ideas?

That is an odd problem you've got that.

I've got it running here pretty smoothly, though it won't go truly full-screen (Ubuntu's top and bottom bars are still visible; throws off the mouse a little in-game). I installed Dx9, MSVC 2008 redist, and I tossed in a pack of fonts for good measure.

What version of windows did you set your bottle for? I'm using XP here.

My bottle is set for win xp and I'm on a 27" iMac i5 quad core. I've put the Microsoft DirectX Runtime - Modern
and Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable packages as well as some others from an STO thread. Its acting like it just can't access the Internet once it gets to a certain point. If I'm on wifi it pops an error immediately though. Now it just tries indefinitely.

shawnrhill wrote:

Beta 6 started up 20min ago and I've patched and tried to get it to
run using the hardline instead of wifi with no luck. I get to the
Connecting to Character Selection Server screen and the loading
circle gets to 89% then just sits. I let it sit for the past 10min
with no change. It is at least acting a little different in that it
isn't complaining about not being able to connect to the server as
soon as this screen loads. Before it would complain immediately
then the loading circle would stop at 49% and complain again.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have the exact same error; I've tried installing fonts, C++, DirectX, etc, and nothing has remedied it. However, as RIFT is in BETA I wondered if it was CX, or Rift. It turns out the answer is not that surprising. The following information is pulled directly from the Rift Support Forum (citation below):

Some players have reported that RIFT gets stuck during initial loading, after the intro movies have played but before reaching the character select menu. The freeze may occur either at the RIFT logo screen, or at some random progress percentage at the loading screen. When in this state, music plays, but no error messages are shown, and the game is totally unresponsive and must be manually stopped.

We're still working to fully understand the causes, but we believe there are several unrelated problems that share these same symptoms.

Many people have reported that if they wait 5-10 minutes, the game will eventually successfully log in to the character select menu. Unfortunately we don't have an explanation for this yet, but try being patient for a few minutes, and see if it succeeds.

A graphics compatibility problem appears to be causing loading freezes for some players. Resetting the game settings to defaults or manually editing the RIFT settings file appears to solve the problem for many.

a. To reset the settings to defaults: launch the RIFT patcher, click the Settings button, then click the Reset All button.

b. To manually edit the settings file, follow the instructions at http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?36899-Stop-Ignoring-this-big-issue!-Stuck-at-loading.&p=632760&viewfull=1#post632760 . If this solves the problem for you, please post details about your video card here, so we can learn more about this issue.

http://trionworlds.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/888/kw/character%20selection

I hope that helps everyone; it seems to me that it's the answer we're looking for.

Best,
Phil

I tried the above recommended rift.cfg changes and got no change in results. The game gets to 89% on the loading screen then fails after 5min or so. If I click OK to retry it gets to 49% then sits and fails to connect again.

Keeping my fingers crossed that someone might find the solution. I'm out of ideas but will keep tinkering and see what I can find out.

Okay so, i did all this kind of backwards but im really new to this, so this is the order in which i installed everything...

Downloaded and installed crossover games for mac
Downloaded and installed rift patcher
ran patcher and waited 12 hours for the game to install
then installed directx9 from the runtime list in crossover
then installed microsoft visual c++ 2008

try to run game and this is what happens
patcher runs, i can login, but when i click play it crashes everytime

did i do something wrong here? if so can someone please let me know the exact steps to take to make this thing run, please thank you. i'd save myself a headache but i can't afford a new copy of windows right now =/

[http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?38657-quot-Failed-to-connect-to-the-server-quot-error-after-49-89-loaded]

Okay so I went ahead and picked through the entire 15 page thread on the Trion/Rift support forum regarding the 89/49% loading error--also other loading errors actually--and I tried LITERALLY every single suggestion. So port forwarding, turning proxies on or off, opening ports 6900-6929, editing the RIFT.cfg file, pinging/changing DNS settings, reseting router, etc, none of that worked. It MIGHT work for you, but having just spent several hours at it, I can tell you that none of it worked for me. Trion needs to step up here--it's really not a CX problem :-S. As much as we all want it working, I think we're waiting on the Trion team, not a user solution here or the CX team. Even in that thread people running Windows (7, Vista, and XP) are continuously getting the same error. So it really isn't unique to us. And given that they have NO IDEA why some people get it and others don't, that may be why some of us having the game up and running, and others do not. Obviously that doesn't actually HELP, but maybe you'll go play your MMO of choice instead of wasting time on RIFT until Trion gets its act together. Hope it clarifies things.

Best, Phil

Okay i finally got rift to work on my computer, but it fails to load sticking at 89%. hopefully this is a failing server side and not thru my computer. Will try to get it running again on the 15th for the next beta launch. Hopefully it will work then. Best of luck to you all, Kisha

Kisha Clark wrote:

hopefully this is a failing server side and not thru my computer.
Will try to get it running again on the 15th for the next beta
launch.

Please see above posts re: 89% freeze error. Thanks for your feedback 😊. If you're going on a forum typically read the information prior to posting.

Best,
Phil

While I fully acknowledge and have read the thread over on the Rift forums I'm finding it difficult to just point the finger at them and say its their job to fix it. I can run Rift fine in Parallels on my iMac, yet under Crossover it does the 89% stall. I've tested both on an ethernet connection as well as on WiFi. Its the same hardware, same internet connection, same general time frame (a few minutes apart) yet it only works in a full blown Windows install (Parallels). I even tested on my work Laptop and it works fine there too. Something about Crossover is aiding this problem if not causing it outright. I've done every tweak and modification recommended in both forums and have no change in behavior to report.

It should also be noted that another game (Star Trek Online) ran fine under CXG 9.2 but has issues under 10. Could there be a driver interaction or calling issue?

One thing that I haven't noticed is if all the people with problems are all just on Mac or have similar hardware/video cards (as far as CXG users go)

I'm all about tinkering and tweaking to test and troubleshoot this but I'm out of ideas.

The reason this problem is all on Trion is because they've acknowledged that the 89% problem is an existing potential problem for ALL USERS that Trion is unable to explain. They do not know why it happens and they have not announced any pattern or possible causes. As stated above, the errors and their causes are unknown, and thus how you're opening the game [Windows (in Parallels) vs. Wine (in CX)] is completely irrelevant at this time. You could install Rift 100 times each on a Windows PC, a Mac running CX, a Mac running Parallels, a Linux machine running CX and it might have that same 89% error ten times out of a hundred, or just twice. It really is something Trion needs to work out. We can tweak and test and reinstall and that might work, but since nobody (including the developers of the game) know what the problem is at all, it's a little hard to try to find a solution. Best of luck with the tweaking and tinkering though. My only suggestion would be to install and reinstall until you succeed, and change settings between installs. Or go play a different game till Trion shapes up.

Best,
Phil

Out of curiosity, is everyone that is having connection issues on a Mac? All the success stories I've seen have been on Linux boxes.

Neil Dick wrote:

Out of curiosity, is everyone that is having connection issues on a
Mac? All the success stories I've seen have been on Linux boxes.

Also, a Mac with a wireless connection can behave differently using that compared to wired (or so it would seem going by others' reports)

Neil Dick wrote:

Out of curiosity, is everyone that is having connection issues on a
Mac? All the success stories I've seen have been on Linux boxes.

Of 2 PC's running Linux (both PCLinuxOS 2010) 1 runs Rift flawlessly (albeit with marginally lower performance than under windows) the other gets stuck at 89% like many others.
The only differencse between the PC's are one is a wired network the other wireless, the one that works has a geforce 9600GT the one that fails has a Geforce 9500GS. Other than that the PC's are identical.

That's really interesting.. I'm using a Linux box with a wireless connection and am not having issues. Does it persist through a reinstall?

This problem is not exclusive to Mac users. I am running a vista system and have just encountered this issue. I have an additional issue that follows the 89/49. When i finally Cancel out of from 89/49, when i try to relog i encounter "Authentication Error" (Error #2001). This authentication error will persist for about 10-20 minutes then i am able to log back in and repeat the 89/49 character select loading problem.

This problem is not exclusive to Mac users. I am running a vista system and have just encountered this issue. I have an additional issue that follows the 89/49. When i finally Cancel out of from 89/49, when i try to relog i encounter "Authentication Error" (Error #2001). This authentication error will persist for about 10-20 minutes then i am able to log back in and repeat the 89/49 character select loading problem.

Sorry re:post

When you reinstall are you pulling down the full 8G patch each time?

I pulled a rather large patch this morning. Are the shards up, currently? I have looked around to see if there is a server status page. I understand that the weekend event is over.

I had not encountered this 89/49 until i patched this morning. Had no troubles logging in prior to...

Not redownloading each time, afer all if that was the issue it would work on neither PC :)
It persists through a re-install, also I have a windows 7 install on the same PC, so I tried Rift on there and had the same problems, which leads me to believe it's NOT a Crossover/Wine issue but an issue with the game itself.

Rift Beta 7 (the final beta) works well under Crossover Games 10.1 + Mac OS X 10.6, the installer still trims the text on some of the installer screens but continuing through and using the default settings, works perfectly.

The launcher + in-game text is all there, though the font is slightly fuzzy in some cases (looks like an anti-aliasing issue).

There seems to be a bug in the launcher where the click area for the advertisement (on the left side) extends to capture all clicks to the launcher, seems to happen randomly when clicking the launcher when its in the background rather than clicking on the crossover dock icon.

Still not working on Mac with this beta, connection fails before it shows the servers.

Rift.log:
A bunch of failed attempts to different servers and then
[WRN][ENG] 15:07:58.967 Failed to connect to selection server using any address

Still no change in results on my end either. The only change in behavior is I get the "Error connecting to server" pop up as the loading disc passes 12% then it stops at 71%. I'm going to try a new bottle and clean install.

shawnrhill wrote:

Still no change in results on my end either. The only change in
behavior is I get the "Error connecting to server" pop up as the
loading disc passes 12% then it stops at 71%. I'm going to try a
new bottle and clean install.

Let me know if the clean install and new bottle helps. Is anyone else successful in actually getting into the game and not just the launcher?

Xeiber wrote:

Still not working on Mac with this beta, connection fails before it
shows the servers.

Rift.log:
A bunch of failed attempts to different servers and then
[WRN][ENG] 15:07:58.967 Failed to connect to selection server using
any address

Same problem here on a MBP and osx 10.6

Clean install + DirectX

I'm also stuck at 71% - 77%. A quick look over their forum shows that others are having the same problem, on top of yesterday's log in difficulties. Maybe Trion is working on the Character dissappearance issue...

Anyway I had installed Microsoft DirectX modern, C++ 2008 and .NET Framework 3.

My knowledge on compatibilities ends here, but I would bet the current problem is server side. I recommend to keep looking at their forums to see if the issue resolve itself.

/edit/ A link to one thread in particular I spotted : http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?68086-Can-t-get-to-character-Selection

Clean (as in full redownload) install into a new bottle w/ all the mentioned additions did not change my results. Still getting the 71% Can't connect error.

I tried today (2/16), on Mac OS X - I didn't get prompted for MS vc2008 redist, just installed directX and then RIFT. The patching went flawlessly, but then got the connect error, prompting retrying.

Has anyone at this point been able to get in?

I can get in fine using Boot Camp and Parallels but not Crossover Games, all using the same hardware. Seems like many of the people reporting failures here are all on Mac OS X. Linux seems to be fine. My WinXP Laptop also has no problems.

The problem has been reported by some to be a totally random occurrence, some quirk of an install causes the problem but I find nothing random about it. I've performed 5 separate bottle creation and complete redownload/installs. Every one of them has the same problem. With these odds I better go buy a lotto ticket since I seem to be able to hit the "random" issue every single time I use Crossover w/ Rift.

Based on the Rift Beta Forums http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?38657-quot-Failed-to-connect-to-the-server-quot-error-after-49-89-loaded the issue is definitely affecting more users than just Crossover/Wine users on Mac OS X so I dont know WTF is going on. Head start begins on the 24th so I hope someone here or at Trion figures out something soon. I'd prefer to play on my iMac w/o having to boot camp to do it.

I wonder if it could be Network Card related in combo with Rift/Wine's use of the driver?

I'm using:

Wired:

Broadcom 5764

Wireless:

AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x8F)
Firmware Version: Atheros 9280: 2.1.14.5

There was a patch that came out yesterday that said that people who could not connect through the normal ports can now connect through port 80.

Try it now. is there a firewall that Mac os 10 uses? it may or may not be the problem.

I am running this fine on linux. so it could just be your machine. which means its fixable.

been playing since last tuesday when the open beta started, have to say it all works flawless, a cx bottle with directx is enough, installer & patcher run flawless, I would say 4-10 logins you get a not connected to the patcher, wait 5sec and try again solved that. Visuals and sound are perfect, for me this is really close to gold status under cx (linux)

Processor: 2.8GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4850 (512MB)

I installed RIFT without issue and occasionally receive the patch error (which you can just "click ok" a few times to get passed) but when I do get passed it I get the "Failed to connect to the server. OK to try again or Cancel to exit" error instantly as soon as the loading "circle" appears (attempting to connect to character selection server). It doesn't wait for it to reach 71% or 77% it just instantly errors and continues to do so indefinitely.

I can confirm though that it works flawlessly under Parallels 6 (on the same system with no adjustments). I am still adjusting the graphical settings but with the "low quality renderer" the game works just fine. I can imagine that it probably looks much better under "ultra" mode but it is very playable.

If anybody happens to figure out why Crossover Games is having this difficulty connecting to the character selection server let me know. 😊 Thanks.

I am having the same 'cannot connect' issue, using a vista bottle.

I needed to install DX9 and the C++ redistribution before it'd run.

Damn, Head Start and I'm still having this problem. Seems to be server side though from the forums....

It looks like Winsock in WINE is reporting error 40, message too big. I haven't been able to figure out how to increase the winsock buffer size yet, but I figured somebody should be able to use this data.

I got RIft installed using Crossover games but every time I try to log in to the game it says

"authentication failed"

I am using the correct ID/Password because I can log into the Rift website

Anyone else having this problem?

1 to 48 of 48

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTlhiZnJ1eHhXVUdCc2dxVCIsImdkcHIiOjB9