Rift Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Freezes and crashes on 27" Intel Core i5 iMac, please help!

My machine's specs:

OS X 10.6.7
27" iMac
Intel Core i5
2.8 GHz
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5750 w/ 1024MB VRAM

Running on anything but low graphics settings produces fairly unfavorable results in terms of FPS, which is surprising considering my hardware.

In addition, the game will occasionally semi-freeze into a state where my character cannot move on the screen (except for a little bit of arm movement or weapon movement now and then) but will still cast, take damage, heal, etc. There is no way to stop this short of forcing a crash.

Also, accessing the character screen in-game freezes and completely crashes the game every single time I hit it.

Is this specifically an ATI card problem? A driver problem? My machine should be able to chew this game up and spit it out fairly well but as it's running now it's frankly a bit ugly and disappointing. Any suggestions as to how I can go about remedying this situation? I can open a ticket as well but I'd love to hear from other folks. And I realize this error may be similar to the Macbook Pro problems but I felt it was worth starting a thread specifically regarding iMacs, since I figure there must be others with this type of machine who want to play Rift! :)

Same thing here (same occasionnal semi-freezes, and crash as soon as I try to open the character sheet).

iMAC 24, C2D 3.06Ghz, 4G RAM, Mac OS 10.6.7, ATI4850.

20-30 fps playing with low/med settings :-/

I had the same problem until l checked the little box that says "use low settings" (I may be paraphrasing). While the graphics aren't that great I run with sold fps and freeze up maybe once or twice a week.

So what is it about Rift? Is it the game, the Wine bottle, or the specs that make this game run with suck poor FPS on current gen 27" imacs?

i have been experiencing these semi-freezes too for the last couple of days. Only the characters and environment are frozen, but i can rotate the camera view, chat, open menu's, talk to npc's etc. Only way to get out of it is force a crash. Log-out or quit don't work.
Have been playing since the start with Crossover, using the low rendering option. Apart from the ugly looks i've had no other issues.

I don't have the problem when accessing the character screen, it's random, talking to a npc or resetting souls, in town, out in the wild...

Also have the 27" i5 from last year spring.

I'm having the same thing where only the 3D Elements freeze. Its quite annoying!

I'm on the newest Macbook Pro i7 with everything upgraded as much as it can be. I still have to run the game with the legacy renderer due to having a ATI HD hopefully that gets resolved soon. Runs great most of the time but every now and then I get these odd semi-freezes. I can't seem to replicate this issue it seems to be very random.

i have the same issue with the semi-freeze where the character would freeze but the weapons would move.

i've only began to have this problem when i updated rift on may 18th. since then i had no problem.

this would happen few times an hour and it's really annoying...

You may want to submit a ticket for those issues; I didn't see any tickets that were similar to the problems you were experiencing.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQmZOQ2NQSmNROWZKbnhkTCIsImdkcHIiOjB9