Rift Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Rift under crossover not realizing I have a cpu to use?

I installed rift with crossover on the very latest macbook pro 17", and while I'm managing 19 FPS (with 13 in combat), I should be getting a heck of a lot more.

I'm looking at my system utilization, and noticing my cpu is still pretty much idle (under 20% use).

Is there any way to nudge the game and/or crossover so it wakes up and notices I have 4 hyperthreaded(8 virtual) cores?

Thanks

Hi,

I did a Google search, and came across this thread: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?188497-multi-core-multithreading-performance-and-usage which then lead me to this link: http://www.brileykenney.com/blog/?p=482 . In short, it appears that modifying the rift.cfg file (it's the same file as the one in the Tips and Tricks section, in the tip about changing the software renderer) and changing the line "MainThreadCPU = #" to "MainThreadCPU = 0" might help.

Hibba.

I attempted altering that setting, and received pretty much zero fps increase.

I continue to hover at 19 fps, and drop to 13 whenever in combat. I have yet to try rifts, but was honestly expecting to see more.

There seems to be a ton of cpu power left over to harness, I never see any single core exceed 25%

The penalty was 10 fps on my old dual 2.5ghz macbook pro with a 6600 m GT

now it's a fresh-out-of-box 17".

After some more exploration, I think I may have an answer.

This new macbook pro is a very recent revision, and I'm not sure the support is fully there in crossover for the radeon HD 6750M (let alone the fact this system apparently also has a supplemental intel HD graphics 3000 GPU).

I may have to put in a proper ticket for this one, as i'm not sure if crossover is structured in such a way as to use the drivers should I try to update them myself (i know catalyst will not install), and in addition ATI does not offer independently distributed installers for their notebook models.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiaGZISlRYR05UZjhkN3ZiZiIsImdkcHIiOjB9