Rift Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Running hardware renderer temp fix...

I just figured out how to run RIFT with the hardware renderer instead of the ugly software (Legacy) one.
Have seen people asking about it as well in different threads and tickets, so I put together my little research like this in a new thread for everyone who wants to try this fix, and help eachother out. ;)

Following different guides, I mixtured with the wine direct3d REGISTRY, through regedit. Dont know if this works for others, but it did for me, even though I still have some pink and color flashing screens in loading and scenes. Also I get really low FPS ish 1-26 depending on settings, on my MacBook Pro 2011, ATI Radeon HD 6750.

I've tried this rocedure in both Crossover Games 10.1 and in Wine 1.3.20 (Winskin Wrapper). Installed vcrun2008 (microsoft c++ runtime 2008), d3dx (directx3d modern and 9) via the crossover depository.)

Direct x 3d modern, I had problems with so I got the installer from Microsoft web page:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=0cef8180-e94a-4f56-b157-5ab8109cb4f5

Well after the preps, follow these steps. ;)

Registry options from this list:
http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys - Direct3D

1 - "Run command..." through "Programs"-menu.
2 - Select your RIFT bottle, and type in "regedit" in the command bar > press run
2 - Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Wine > Direct3D
3 - Right-click > "New" > "String Value"
4 - Right-click > rename to change 'name'
5 - Double-click to change 'value'
6 - Repeat for following things

(7 - Legacy Renderer must be set to 'False' in the rift.cfg)

(name = value (alt1 / alt2 / etc)) - alternatives in link above

DirectDrawRenderer = opengl / gdi (- didnt make much difference I felt, but opengl supposedly faster)

Multisampling = enabled / disabled (- 'enabled' if using backbuffer or pbuffer)

OffscreenRenderingMode = fbo / backbuffer / pbuffer (- pbuffer and fbo worked best for me, not much difference, backbuffer turned it all balck for me[unusable], but feel free to try ;))

UseGLSL = enabled / disabled (- hardware / software renderer) [disabled is the same as Legace Renderer option]

VertexShaderMode and PixelShaderMode = hardware (- I left them on hardware)

VideoMemorySize = [your graphics memory size] (- in megabytes ;P)

(Important, didnt work for me without these at all)

VideoPciDeviceID = [deviceID for your graphics card] (-mac user can find this one in the System Profiler under Graphics mine was 0x6741, -linux users can scroll down and read on next link, 0x in beginning!)
http://www.rift-shards.com/wiki/installing-rift-ubuntu

VideoPciVendorID =[vendorID for your graphics card] (- search ati on google for their vendorID)

mixture with these a bit to get it to work. Same with in-game settings. Processed or reflected (cant remember name) texture radio box, effects fps drastically.

Hope this works or helps someone else, still waiting for full support and compability. Still very laggy! :D

EDIT: step 7 ;)

EDIT 2: Just realized that specifying you graphics card (deviceID,vendorID) and your video memory size, is enough to get the hardware renderer going. Also leaving the pixel and vertex shader settings intact. ;) GL HF!

I don't have that directory in my regedit, I get as far as wine but there is no Direct3d. I installed the thing you said to install but there still isn't anything there. Ideas?

this is pretty good. not ideal, but pretty good. =)

if you don't have a Direct3D key, just add one.

Well i'm trying this out (on a test bottle of course), but I'm clueless with this sort of thing. I'm stuck in the installing of Directx, and i've no idea where to save it to, or if it even matters where? Any help would be awesome, thanks!!

install direct x modern into the Rift bottle you made.

you can install it directly through Crossover Games, it's under Runtime Support Components during the Install Software process. look for Microsoft Direct X Runtime - Modern.

i've got the game running pretty well, but the frames are very low (i'm getting about 20 on my GTX 570.)

note about the Regedits above, enabling GLSL for some Nvidia users seems to turn the skin purple on your characters. to fix this, set Use GLSL to Disabled. this is NOT the same as the Legacy Renderer, as my game still looks awesome.

d0rf3n,

Thank you very much for posting this. I have confirmed everything you have found, with the one exception being that the Linux setup already has the M$ Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable installed.

Disabling "Projected Textures" does indeed have the single largest positive FPS effect of everything you listed, allowing me to run on High settings where I had been running with the Minimum settings, then the Low Quality Renderer before. It looks like a whole new game now. :)

Here are some details of my verifications, and one extra tip I'd like to add:

• Disabling Projected Textures within the game's Advanced video menu adds 10-20 FPS in one swoop

• Using pbuffer gains 1-2 FPS over fbo

• Using Multisampling gains 2 FPS over not using it

• With my Nvidia GTX 465, using nvidia-settings to force 2xAA gains 2 extra FPS. I know this sounds counterintuitive, but we previously found a similar situation with both Eve Online and WoW via Cedega when Multisampling is used with GLSL

The end result is that I'm running around 10 FPS higher (averaging 29) on the new, higher settings than I was on the previous, much lower settings. One caveat is that things seemed quite laggy the first time I entered any place after changing these settings, likely due to new graphic objects and effects being extracted from the game files and loaded for the first time.

One additional note: To get the PCI ID and Vendor ID on Linux, simply open nvidia-settings and click on the line that lists your graphics card.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieXRYcVhwMmZTN0ZWbnl4dSIsImdkcHIiOjB9