Rift Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Why won't RIFT run fast?!

I recently got Crossover Games on my 2008 MacBook, and i recently installed RIFT, expecting to get a fun taste of the trial before fully jumping in. Unfortunately, the entire game ran SO POORLY I couldn't accept the first quest. Is there something wrong with my installation? My computer? Crossover Games? Do I need to increase the video card(s) in my mac? And how do I do that?

Frederick Van Duyne wrote:

I recently got Crossover Games on my 2008 MacBook, and i recently
installed RIFT, expecting to get a fun taste of the trial before
fully jumping in. Unfortunately, the entire game ran SO POORLY I
couldn't accept the first quest. Is there something wrong with my
installation? My computer? Crossover Games? Do I need to increase
the video card(s) in my mac? And how do I do that?

There are many different possibilities to get Rift to run faster on your system. Most of them are listed in the section I have moved this thread to.

More are in the Tips & Tricks section.

If you have any further questions, please consider emailing our Support Team at ninjas@codeweavers.com. We will be happy to help.

Have you set the graphics settings to as low as you can, using the low quality rendering engine? Rift is quite demanding and doesn't give very high FPS even on quite powerful computers running Windows.

Neil Dick wrote:

Have you set the graphics settings to as low as you can, using the
low quality rendering engine? Rift is quite demanding and doesn't
give very high FPS even on quite powerful computers running Windows.

I hear performance improvements are in the pipe for the next release of crossover, but I confirm this from native vs crossover testing on a brand new macbook pro..

While it's possible to use higher settings on windows, the FPS in group combat (in other words, when it matters in an MMO) will still reach the same levels, sometimes lower, than crossover.

In short, it's a very new game, and trion still has some optimization to do.

idiosychrosies i've noticed in the game compared to more mature titles:
group frames cause fps to tank under their newer rendering engine
spell effects have a much higher penalty on performance than they should

I'm hoping trion has at least a few people on optimization.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiODlteGNKUUhwVTJnbVZzcyIsImdkcHIiOjB9