Rift Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Poor framerate after upgrading to 10.7

Upgraded to Lion and got the 10.1.1 update yesterday and my framerate is terrible. Using the low quality renderer it's really sluggish and I'm seeing lots of "junk" with things like the fog around the ground because of the world event (like something's not clipping correctly and rather than just hugging the ground I'm seeing the whole "cloud" that creates the effect). Could also be related to the hotfix and the world event as well, but wondered if it's just me.

At least yours is loading. I hit play from the Launcher and I don't get anywhere. Both the bottle and Crossover Games itself quit to desktop.

Is the "junk" you refer to look anything like this?

[image=http://www.flickr.com/photos/59563766@N08/5962600719/in/photostream]

fjordstorm wrote:

Is the "junk" you refer to look anything like this?

[image=http://www.flickr.com/photos/59563766@N08/5962600719/in/photostream]

No, it's not tearing that I'm seeing. Models for characters and the environment appear correct, but effects and glows and what not around them expand waaaay beyond where they're supposed to. I tried to get some snapshots in game to show it but things are flickering too fast to catch.

Seems that Lion brought in a bunch of weird things. I was playing under 10.6.8 perfectly last night and did not change a thing today other than install Lion.

I've actually noticed a considerable increase in framerate on my new macbook pro (although the tearing was introduced).

specifically, I can now run normal hardware renderer rather than legacy renderer and hover at the same fps or higher than the low quality renderer. It's still about 8 to 10 lower than native, and much more variable than native, but it's about a 30% improvement in gfx quality to framerate ratio.

I wonder if resolving this tearing bug (logged in ticket queue) will also stabilize the frame rates?

I'm pretty impressed with this latest minor release.

The issue with Characters/NPC's "tearing" is a known issue, and we encourage anyone affected to write a ticket/send an email and request to be added to bug 8522 so we can keep track of you.

As far as drastically reduced frame rates and other graphical glitches - this isn't something that we've yet experienced or quantified on our own Lion machines. Does adding "UseGLSL" as a string value to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3d (might have to add Direct3D as a new key)

and trying either "disabled" or "enabled" (please give both a shot, one at a time) as the value make any difference in the flickering/corruptions?

Just to confirm that overall I saw an increase in framerate, but did get the tearing.

That definitely does something but there's still some strange visual artefacts.

With it set to disabled I see the same things as before (managed to catch some in a screenshot)

With it set to enabled things are better but there's still some small things (e.g. these "streaks" around the glow from the world event mobs' glowy heads; but the framerate is OK-ish).

Added: Versions and what not in case they're relevant: Crossover Games 10.1.1, on Lion 10.7, on a MBPro 17" Mid 2009.

im seeing the same thing as everyone else as far as streaks and strange effects on the screen.. was playing just fine on snow leopard but now on lion its horrible.. also experiencing the extremely slow frame rate after upgrading to lion.. was wondering if it might be amount of memory in my system.. i know that lion has a minimum requirement for running on a mac as does rift for game play but it was playing just fine on snow leopard..i know my grfx card is sufficient because it played so well before the upgrade but the memory maybe needing to be upped a bit as i have 2g sdram atm. with all the new effects and supposed smoother interface on lion, i'm sure having more memory will improve the way lion itself works because i have noticed some slow down just on my day to day stuff after upgrading to lion. have ordered the additional ram as i planned on upgrading anywho. will post after upgrade is done and see if that helps a bit.

hey fjord.. have you upgraded your crossover games to 10.1.1? i was experiencing the same shut down after logging in to rift and it stopped closing on me after upgrading to 10.1.1.. should help

Jack Phinney wrote:

The issue with Characters/NPC's "tearing" is a known issue, and we
encourage anyone affected to write a ticket/send an email and
request to be added to bug 8522 so we can keep track of you.

As far as drastically reduced frame rates and other graphical
glitches - this isn't something that we've yet experienced or
quantified on our own Lion machines. Does adding "UseGLSL" as a
string value to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3d (might have to add Direct3D
as a new key)

and trying either "disabled" or "enabled" (please give both a shot,
one at a time) as the value make any difference in the
flickering/corruptions?

just curious... i was under the impression that the hkey_current_user string was in the registry of windows? i thought this thread was about macs? not trying to sound ignorant..just not sure..and if this is referring to something in crossover games application where exactly would you enter this string? and would it just be after the "direct3d" as in attached to the same code line or does a new line have to be entered?

I am experiencing the same things in regards to the weird visual effects in the world. I'm not experiencing to much of the "tearing", just issues with every and all particle effects. Here are some examples:

This only started happening after installing Lion 10.7. I was just about to buy Crossover (I have been debating for some time) and then this happens. I guess partially it's my own fault for upgrading so soon, but...

My hardware is a 15-inch early 2008 Macbook pro, 15", 4gig Mem, nVidia 8600 GT graphics.

I haven't tested this on my iMac at home as of yet.

Matt

cesar wrote:

im seeing the same thing as everyone else as far as streaks and
strange effects on the screen.. was playing just fine on snow
leopard but now on lion its horrible.. also experiencing the
extremely slow frame rate after upgrading to lion.. was wondering if
it might be amount of memory in my system.. i know that lion has a
minimum requirement for running on a mac as does rift for game play
but it was playing just fine on snow leopard..i know my grfx card is
sufficient because it played so well before the upgrade but the
memory maybe needing to be upped a bit as i have 2g sdram atm. with
all the new effects and supposed smoother interface on lion, i'm
sure having more memory will improve the way lion itself works
because i have noticed some slow down just on my day to day stuff
after upgrading to lion. have ordered the additional ram as i
planned on upgrading anywho. will post after upgrade is done and see
if that helps a bit.

Yea, more RAM will definitely help you out performance wise, both in every day tasks and while gaming. 2GB of RAM is pretty low and getting an upgrade can be pretty cheap (a 8GB upgrade for my early 2009 iMac is only about $60).

Old Man Magic wrote:

I am experiencing the same things in regards to the weird visual
effects in the world. I'm not experiencing to much of the
"tearing", just issues with every and all particle effects. Here
are some examples:

This only started happening after installing Lion 10.7. I was just
about to buy Crossover (I have been debating for some time) and then
this happens. I guess partially it's my own fault for upgrading so
soon, but...

My hardware is a 15-inch early 2008 Macbook pro, 15", 4gig Mem,
nVidia 8600 GT graphics.

I haven't tested this on my iMac at home as of yet.

Matt

Are you on the low quality renderer?

Yes, I am configured for the low quality renderer as it seems to be the only way I can run Rift on my configuration (as I have an older Macbook Pro). I have 4 Gigs of system RAM, so I don't think that is the problem.

Don't get me wrong, it was never a speed demon in Crossover, but I never had any graphic artifact issues. I was still able to complete quests and stuff around town and the likes on my lunchbreaks at work ;)

Matt

1 to 16 of 16

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoid0h6ZFdMWE43UkZQTXkzNyIsImdkcHIiOjB9