Rift Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Has anyone been able to play this on Mac?

It seems like Linux people are having no problem, but I haven't heard of anyone getting on it on Mac yet

Tested it this morning... I can confirm that Rift does NOT currently work on Mac. I'm using CrossOver 10.0.1 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

The game installed fine, and patched fine. Then, "Failed to connect to the server" error when I attempt to play the game.

i dont know what all the fuss is about... i am playing it fine, no bugs, no crashes nothing. i can even play on high settings. the only thing i need fixed is the bar at the top and the dock, i dont like the fact that i the dock is blocking the game and i cannot reach my abilities properly because the dock pops up since i selected hide when not in use.

Scott Reed wrote:

the only thing i need fixed is the bar at the top and the dock, i
dont like the fact that i the dock is blocking the game and i cannot
reach my abilities properly because the dock pops up since i
selected hide when not in use.

Adjust the screen size to one that doesn't leave room for the menu bar.

i have it on the highest screen size available to me and it is still there. i tried full screen but it decalibrated the mouse making it difficult for m to click things.

amman wrote:

i have it on the highest screen size available to me and it is still
there. i tried full screen but it decalibrated the mouse making it
difficult for m to click things.

once you go full screen, quit and restart. the mouse hotspot will be back to normal.

thanks that fixed it... but the top bar is still ther which is still a bit annoying

playing on a macbook pro 15 inch with the cheapest upgrade that has a separate video card. Works pretty well, opening my map causes 5-8 seconds of lockup and playing on the low graphics mode is significantly worse than normal graphics for some reason.

runs pretty well though.

hat all the fuss is about... i am playing it fine, no bugs, no crashes nothing. i can even play on high settings. the only thing i need fixed is the bar at the top and the dock, i dont like the fact that i the dock is blocking the game and i cannot reach my abilities properly because the dock pops up since i selected hide when not in use.

Happy you. Guess you've got a nvidia GPU.
Not to bad with my ATI4850, but game still crashes when opening character sheet, or randomly freezes with weird graphic and control behavior.

yea its pretty sweet :) dont worry the ATI will be patched soon enough and then soon every1 will be happy.

I have managed to get in about 3 hours of play time running it on a 27" iMac (3 GHz Core 2 Duo) w/an ATI Radeon HD 4850.

It hasn't been completely trouble free. More often than not, when I select my character and try to enter the game world, I get to about 93% loaded and then the game crashes.

In order to successfully get up and running, I have to set the video settings to use the low quality renderer. Once I'm actually in the game, I can switch back to the high quality renderer and play for hours with the video quality set to "high". But if I want to get back into the game once I leave it, I have to remember to switch back to the "low quality renderer" before I log out or I'll get the crashing again next time I log in.

EDIT: Nevermind. Now that I think about this, switching from low quality renderer to high quality requires a restart so I'm just fooling myself. I'm really playing with the low quality renderer the whole time.

So add me to the list of people waiting/hoping that a fix will be found that will let us use the high quality renderer.

1 to 11 of 11

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWU5tR0Vacks2Y3dKQktDSiIsImdkcHIiOjB9