Rift Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Insufficient Video Card

Crossover Games 10.1 on a new MBP - before even starting the game it crashes with an alert-box: "Insufficient Video Card"

Any idea how to make it run?

The term 'brand new MBP' doesn't mean very much - which video chipset does your mac have?

wmchris wrote:

Crossover Games 10.1 on a brand new MBP - before even starting the
game it crashes with an alert-box: "Insufficient Video Card"

Any idea how to make it run?

Check the Tips and Tricks section here. The "Renderer Failure" fix should work

I also have a new 11" MB Air , nvidia 320m graphics, and am seeing the same issue. The tip of manually switching on the legacy renderer did not fix it for me. It works fine on my iMac with a nvidia 5750, and I believe it works fine for people running this card without going through crossover.

Matt Moriarity wrote:

I also have a new 11" MB Air , nvidia 320m graphics, and am seeing
the same issue. The tip of manually switching on the legacy renderer
did not fix it for me. It works fine on my iMac with a nvidia 5750,
and I believe it works fine for people running this card without
going through crossover.

Well, i have a 2010 Mac mini, with NVIDIA 320M graphics and it works for me just as I wrote in the tips & tricks section. So... it's definitely not the video chipset otherwise I would not be running it right now.

The line must be exactly: "LegacyRenderer = True" Missing a capital letter or an extra space will break it.

OK... a bit of digging and remembering here.

The "Insufficient Video Card" error is consistent with making adjustments to the Direct3D settings in the control panel that should not have been touched in the first place.

Vertex Shader should be Hardware
Pixel Shader should be Enabled

Check those settings.

Thanks for the help
i checked both, but it's exactly as it should, both is checked in the wine config and the rift.cfg is changed, too (100%)

It's a MBP 15" with a GT 330M (late 2010), deactivated power management (auto graphic switch) with the newest version 10.1. The game itself runs perfectly with bootcamp, but not with crossover.

Side information: i'm launching the same rift version i'm using under windows from the bootcamp partition. AFAIK the configuration of the game is not saved in the RIFT Game folder, so it shouldn't be a problem, or am i wrong?

Good news, bad news

Good: Rift is officially supported by Codeweavers, so you should be able to open a proper support ticket.

Bad: I've no idea how you managed to hack the bottle so it runs off of your Windows partition rather than the CXG bottle. Better talk to Codeweavers about how to get that working.

Sorry!

It's not hacked, i just created a symlink for Program Files/Rift to /Volumes/Bootcamp/Program Files/Rift ;)

I had a similar problem a while back when I first got the new crossover Beta, Rift loaded up just with flashing graphics was impossible to play. Just re-installed rift using the Cross-Tie, I believe it may have been a problem with the VB '08 install, try just reinstalling that first. It works great on my macbook pro, well with minimal graphics anyways.

My macbook pro is a late 2009 model and has a Nvidia Geforce 9400 M Video Card.

Harry Davis wrote:

OK... a bit of digging and remembering here.

The "Insufficient Video Card" error is consistent with making
adjustments to the Direct3D settings in the control panel that
should not have been touched in the first place.

Vertex Shader should be Hardware
Pixel Shader should be Enabled

Check those settings.

Mine are set as described. Still no luck.

Hi again,

Just a bit more FYI as it were ... if you're using the 320M chipset,
I do know that GPU/driver set are giving problems with some apps. As
for the 9400M, some of the time just filling out the Direct3D registry
key is an effective fix..

As Harry points out though, now being an officially supported game, the
very best thing to do is submit a support ticket (or email info@codeweavers.com)
-- that way the devs will know what is hurting which setups.

Cheers!

1 to 12 of 12

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTjhGd2VCOFdlNHFNeVJHWSIsImdkcHIiOjB9