Rift Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Odd graphics issue (3D freezing)

Macbook Pro 15" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 7200 RPM drive
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Mac OS X 10.6.7 10J869
Version 10.1 (10.1.0) - Check for Update says latest version
RIFT installed from retail DVD and patched, winxp bottle

Approximately one to two times per hour of play time I experience a problem I can only explain as a "3D only freeze."
All 3D player/NPC/mob models disappear or stop animating completely. Weapons continue to move (i.e. if I jump my staff bounces up then down), and 2D overlay elements (map, chat frame, etc) continue to function as normal.

A full exit and restart of CrossOver/RIFT is required to fix the issue. Changing video settings and hitting apply, logging out and back into character, and UI reloads have no effect.

I am re-copying the install ISO over from my server and will be attempting to install inside a Vista bottle. I'm new to CrossOver, so if anyone has any other troubleshooting suggestions they would be appreciated...

Just a quick update... my friend says that he can still see me moving, so I do not believe this is a connection related issue.

Interestingly enough, physics fail as well when this happens, because I can fly in-game.

I have noticed your issue sometimes but not very often. It appears to be random for me.
When it happends if I do a logout the 3d model freeze is in effect even on character selection.

I have a Macbook mid2010 model (core2duo 2,4 GHz / Nvidia Geforce 320M)

Yes, I forgot to mention that once the issue has happened in-game, the model on the character screen is frozen as well.

I have been able to avoid the issue by avoiding in-game rifts (based on my limited testing). I think it is related to the full-screen darkening effect that happens when I rift opens up near by.

Is there some way to pay a bounty or something to get this looked at? I am at the point right now where I buy an external DVD drive (my SuperDrive is broken, but I own a copy of Windows already for VMware), or buying CrossOver. I would really prefer to go the CrossOver route.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQjJaVGRjNjN4R21yaE53NCIsImdkcHIiOjB9