Rift Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Full Screen - without menu bar OSX

Hi Guys,

Fantastic product. Allowing me to play games on OSX without the need to reboot - AWESOME!

Now onto my question : Is there any way to eliminate the menu bar on top of OSX while playing? The screen feels weird with it there.

I've tried a few applications, and they successfully remove the menu bar.. except when rift is actually launched, the menu bar comes back.

Any way to fix that?

Also off the cuff question : will Wine ever take advantage of multiple cores? Having a new quad-core MBP and not having it take full advantage sucks :(

If you uncheck “Allow the window manager to control the windows” in winecfg, then fullscreen should work properly (with no menubar/dock).

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the tip. I don't have wincfg, and frankly, not sure how to load it with CrossOver Games (don't have the full office suite).

Instead, I researched a bit and found those values can be changed in the registry :

http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys

I basically went to : HKEY_CURRENT_USER > software > wine > x11

Added the string : Managed "N" to disallow the window manager to manage created windowss

However, the menu bar and dock are still there.

Thoughts?

There are two ways to access winecfg. First is by entering “winecfg” as the command in the Run Command dialog for your RIFT bottle. The second is by opening the Manage Bottles dialog, selecting your RIFT bottle, clicking the “Control Panel” tab, and then by launching the “Wine Configuration” item. “Allow the window manager to control the windows” is located on the Graphics tab of the Wine configuration program.

I checked my RIFT bottle’s registry, and the registry path to the where “Managed” is set to “N” is “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\X11 Driver” rather than HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\X11”.

I'm having the same issue. Even after disabling the "allow the window manager to control the windows" option, I still see the CrossOver Games menu at the top of the screen while in fullscreen mode.

Any other ideas?

Oh, I forgot something!

RIFT appears to default to a resolution that excludes the menu bar — 1920×1058 in my case. I had to manually set the resolution to 1920×1080, the native resolution of my iMac, for fullscreen to work and hide both the menubar and dock.

Just doing that will hide the menubar and dock, but mouse clicks would be ‘too high’. It was only when I disabled “Allow the window manager to control the windows” that everything worked (fullscreen and clicking).

Sorry about forgetting to mention that, as it’s rather important! :o

this is so cool... almost every bug is fixed and i can run this game to a near gold standard. something i would like to ask are: there is quite alot of lag when i try to open the map or character screen, i can live with it but is there any way to reduce the lag?

I've played/tested Rift in CXGames and in native Windows 7, and I see similar lag in opening the map. In Windows, the lag is periodic... as in it's not every time I open the map, but it's often enough to be noticeable. The lag is also present when getting on a mount. The player character goes through the mount action, but the mount is not drawn for 1 or 2 minutes. In CXGames the lag is more pronounced, and possibly happens more often, but it's also periodic. Sometimes the lag is there, and sometimes not.

i dont get mount lag, i only get lag when opening soul trees, maps and character screens. is it just my mac? i have a 13" white macbook with nvidia 320m graphics and 2gb ram

While your MacBook is pretty low spec compared to the high demands of Rift I don't think that's the only issue here. As I said, the lag you describe also exists in Windows... ie it's not just CXG, it's an overall issue (in my experience). Don't focus too much on the mount part 😊 I just added it because in addition to lag opening maps etc, that's one of the very noticeable issues I see on the Windows side.

but there is no lag when i play on my windows desktop tho...

Poke around here and there and you find things like this posting on the Rift Forums. Lag like you describe is definitely happening on multiple machines that I've tested on, and on multiple operating systems. I'm seeing it just as you are on CXG (although I play it in openSUSE 11.4 not on a Mac), I'm seeing it when I play it in native Windows (on a decent dual core 64 bit machine with 8GB RAM, a nVidia GTX260 video card, and a 100 MBit internet connection), and I'm hearing from others that they see lag running the game Windows 7/Bootcamp on an iMac.

It's not all the time... it's intermittent.... and all I'm trying to say is that this could be an issue with the game itself that is amplified by CXG. I don't have a solution... just saying you're not alone, and it's not limited to CXG.

For God's sake, can anyone tell me how to hide the menu bar on Mac when playing RIFT? I did all you guys said but the menu bar still there! I am getting crazy!

I did what you said but the menu bar still there! what should i do?

I am getting crazy trying to hide the menu bar. I did all you guys said but the menubar still there. If there is some more details that i shpuld do please tell me. Do you think its happening cause i am using the trial version. I am afraid to upgrade to full version and the problem continue!
Please someone help me!

Randy Eckenrode wrote:

Oh, I forgot something!

RIFT appears to default to a resolution that excludes the
menu bar — 1920×1058 in my case. I had to manually set the
resolution to 1920×1080, the native resolution of my iMac, for
fullscreen to work and hide both the menubar and dock.

Just doing that will hide the menubar and dock, but mouse clicks
would be ‘too high’. It was only when I disabled “Allow the
window manager to control the windows” that everything worked
(fullscreen and clicking).

Sorry about forgetting to mention that, as it’s rather important!
:o

I did all you said but the menubar still there. Pls help me

What is happening when you do this? The reason I'm asking is this is what Is it expanding below the bottom of the screen and not covering the menu bar?

Your dock bar is being covered no problem?

I have always had to

Go to bottle manager, go into the control panel, select wine configuration.. go to the Graphics Tab and uncheck the Allow the window manager to control the windows..

Also make sure the game is set to your desktop resolution. Otherwise you end up with the menubar still showing.

1 to 18 of 18

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZVViUkNtQnJwNFRNS1FleiIsImdkcHIiOjB9