Rift Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

DirectX 9.0c

Can't get it working here :(

It's installed/patched but the patcher says:
"We detected that one ore more DirectX components are out of date! Would you like to update now?" /
"A version of the DirectX 9.0c (June 2010) redistributable or later was not detected.

I can update it via the setup and a it run a "dxwebsetup.exe". But i can't install it, i only got an error:
"An internal system error occured. Please refer to..."

I think it searches for a d3dx9_43.dll? Not 100% sure.

Thanks

Try installing the DirectX Redistributable package located here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=0cef8180-e94a-4f56-b157-5ab8109cb4f5

I can't test the app because my internet is too slow to download all the updates, but see if that works.

Matthias Pannek wrote:

<snip>

I think it searches for a d3dx9_43.dll? Not 100% sure.

Thanks

Hi,

If it is d3dx9_43.dll it's looking for, installing directx
runtime modern (or legacy) won't give you a native version of that
dll. As it stands, nor will dxwebsetup if it's installed 'as is'...

If you remove the symbolic link to the d3dx9_43.dll in your bottle's
/drive_c/windows/system32/ directory, and then reinstall dxwebsetup,
it will download/install a native d3dx9_43.dll (you could download
and copy a native dll into place, but then you don't necessarily know
what dll version you're getiing)

Cheers!

Thanks for the tips. I tried it with the DirectX Redistributable but same problem. Then i checked again, i don't have a d3dx9_43.dll, highest version is a _42.
Is there a newer version of DirectX available? Can't install the June 2010 version.

I should be working with Wine http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=22195

With wine directly it crashes just after the start (after the patcher) and with Crossover it just closes after "Play" :(

Hi again,

That is what I said - directx redist won't do it - you have
to delete the 'fake' d3dx9_43.dll and use dxwebsetup...;

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=7558

It may also be necessary to provide a library override in the
Wine Configuration GUI for d3dx9_43.dll set to {native,builtin}
as well...

Cheers!

Thanks,

there was no symlink to a fake dll.

After the installation of dxwebsetup the DirectX error message is gone but after the start there is only a black screen without sound. (but CPU at 75%)

Is there an easy way to debug something like that?

The last messages in the standard log are:

err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} could be created for context 0x1
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f3a8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33ee40,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:shell:StopWatchMode () stub!
fixme:shell:SHCreateShellPalette stub
fixme:ole:CoCreateInstance no instance created for interface {ea1afb91-9e28-4b86-90e9-9e9f8a5eefaf} of class {56fdf344-fd6d-11d0-958a-006097c9a090}, hres is 0x80004002
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33edd8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33e84c,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33eddc,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33e980,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f0bc,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:swapchain_init The application requested more than one back buffer, this is not properly supported.
Please configure the application to use double buffering (1 back buffer) if possible.
fixme:d3d:swapchain_init Add OpenGL context recreation support to context_validate_onscreen_formats
fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x169b48,0x169a48): stub
fixme:d3d9:Direct3DShaderValidatorCreate9 stub
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33eddc,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:winsock:WSAIoctl SIO_GET_EXTENSION_FUNCTION_POINTER: unimplemented AcceptEx

There are some errors in the DirectX.log:

01/26/11 17:50:56: dxdllreg: RegisterDLL(): DllRegisterServer() failed, error = 0x80004002.
01/26/11 17:50:56: dxdllreg: DXSError(): FormatMessage() failed, system cannot find message text for error.
01/26/11 17:50:56: dxdllreg: RegisterDLL(): Module: C:\windows\system32\msvidctl.dll
01/26/11 17:50:56: dxdllreg: RegisterDLL(): GetProcAddress() failed, error = 127.
01/26/11 17:50:56: dxdllreg: RegisterDLL(): Module: C:\windows\system32\mshtml.dll, Function: DllRegisterServer

I tried it with a override for one of the dll (d3dx9_43.dll) but same problem.

Thanks

Created a new Bottle and installed http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=7558 and then Rift. Game starts now after the Patcher without a DirectX error message....but again with a black screen :(

I get the same thing as well, installed DirectX 9.0c and the game installs, patches, and runs but presents nothing but a black screen.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Hi,

Do you have/does installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable
into the same bottle help at all here?

Cheers!

I'll give that a try and let you know

No dice. Installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable in the same bottle did not change the behavior. I'm on a 27" iMac i5 Quad Core and I get a black screen with a big white square in the middle taking up the middle 3/4 of the screen.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to boot camp this if I don't have to. Running it in parallels gets incredibly laggy during heavy screen events like a raid or world event.

Hi again,

You know, my immediate idea would be to try the Crossover Games 10
release, to see what the behavior is like there ;)

Cheers!

How did I miss that 10 was out! I'll give it a try under 10 and see what happens.

Thanks!

UPDATE: Installed Crossover Games 10 and did the Upgrade of the files as instructed in the first run popups and so far Crossover has jacked one of my CPUs to 100% and I have the spinning beach ball. I'll let it churn for a bit and see if it calms down eventually.

Had to reboot to get 10 to stop jacking the CPU but it is fine now. Rift will no longer run at all though. STO still runs as do other bottles but Rift isn't doing anything when I click it. Time to do some troubleshooting and poking around....

OK, Crossover Games 10 did change the behavior a bit but not enough to work.

Somehow my "RIFT" bottle got corrupted because no shortcut in that bottle will work. The Rift shortcut in my "winxp" bottle works but still errors out.

Instead of a black screen with a big white box I now get the Rift Error catcher pop up that its Saving Error information then another box asking if I want to Send Error Report and restart the game or Send Error Report and Close the game. I have to Cmd+Q out of Crossover to get out of the black screen.

Hey, at least its a baby step forward :)

Any other thoughts on stuff to try?

There would be heaps of things you could try ; the fact the behavior has altered means whatever's at fault is likely to be in, around or near an area of wine core being worked on. The game being in beta and not copies about just makes things harder. You could grab a debuglog as detailed on this page -- http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/SubmitTechSupportLog -- and sniff +seh +trace +ntdll +d3d ; there might be a clue in that....gzip the log (or you can check through it yourself, look for lines beginining with 'err:' or 'warn:' as first choice candidates) and upload it to some public repo (ie; rapidshare or the like) and post the download URL back here...I'll grab it and have a peek..

Cheers!

Ok, just like taking your car to the mechanic when that clunking noise gets to be too much and having it go away the minute he steps out to listen, thus is my life.

I am unable to get Rift to run by clicking the Program list item from the menu. It DOES SUCCESSFULLY RUN from the Run Command function by selecting my RIFT Bottle and then the proper exe file to run. How bizarre is that. It used to run fine from the Program list when it was having issues actually running with 9.1

I uploaded the log file here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10099259/riftbeta.cxlog its not very big since the game was unable to connect to the server. I don't see a notice about server downtime in the rift forums but I'm still checking that and hoping its not another issue that surfaced now that I figured out how to get the game to run :)

Thanks

UPDATE: I have confirmed that the servers are up and I am able to connect to them fine using my Parallels install on this same Mac. I didn't spot anything in the log file that seemed network related but might have missed something. The game kicks the Failed to connect to Server message almost as soon as it starts loading what would normally turn into the character select screen. In Parallels it does not report a failure until it loads at least 49% of the way. In Crossover the report is almost instant when the loading begins. This could be due to the overhead that parallels requires causing a delay.

Let me know what you see in the log file and what tweaks you'd like me to test out. :)

Thanks for looking at this.

shawnrhill wrote:

I am unable to get Rift to run by clicking the Program list item
from the menu. It DOES SUCCESSFULLY RUN from the Run Command
function by selecting my RIFT Bottle and then the proper exe file to
run.

You may need to do Clear and Rebuild Programs Menu from CrossOver's Configure menu. That shouldn't be necessary, and we did fix some bugs related to that, but we may have missed some.

Clear and Rebuild Programs List did the trick for the Rift bottle not wanting to run.

Its still complaining about not being able to find the server even though I know its up. I'm guessing there is something wacky with the network settings or ability to use the connection once the game is launched and past the patcher phase. That part works but when I click PLAY to launch the actual game is when it fails.

I have an extra beta key I'd be glad to share with one of you support guys if you want to give it a try on your machines. This current beta has been extended through Saturday 10am PST.

1 to 19 of 19

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRzNmcFhSRW13ZWRDdmN1ayIsImdkcHIiOjB9