Rift Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Random flashes on screen

When I log into my character I get weird flashes of different colors. The flashes are where normal flashes would be but their timing is off or the way the flash is weird and I don't thinks it is natural. It becomes annoying after some time especially when I got Rift for its great graphics.

My processor is" 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
My memory is: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
My Graphics are: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
I am currently using a mac with OS X 10.8.3

Any help would be great.
Thank You

I had a similar issue on linux for ages till I added this registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D\StrictDrawOrdering and set it to enabled.

longer version:

start crossover
select rift bottle
select run command
run regedit
open to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine
if you don't have Direct3D there then right click Wine, select new key and name it Direct3D
open Direct3D
right click Direct3D and select new string value, set value name to StrictDrawOrdering en value to enabled

Thank you for the help but I am stuck on the last part mainly where it says set the value to enabled

open Direct3D
right click Direct3D and select new string value, set value name to StrictDrawOrdering en value to enabled

Thanks again for the help I hope this works.

Thanks very much this worked like a charm :_)

The experimental Mac driver seems to eliminate the flashing without requiring StrictDrawOrdering set to true, which kills performance (~20 fps vs. ~4 fps @ 2560 × 1440 with most settings maxed using the non-legacy renderer). My system is identical to yours except I have 16 GB of RAM.

The only problem I’ve encountered is that mouse input is a little buggy, but it’s mostly a cosmetic issue. The game often has the wrong idea of where the cursor is for tooltips and button/object highlights, but clicks register correctly.

Randy,

How do I use the experimental mac driver? I'm experiencing the same screen flashing problem.

Randy Eckenrode wrote:

The experimental Mac driver seems to eliminate the flashing without
requiring StrictDrawOrdering set to true, which kills performance
(~20 fps vs. ~4 fps @ 2560 × 1440 with most settings maxed using
the non-legacy renderer). My system is identical to yours except I
have 16 GB of RAM.

The only problem I’ve encountered is that mouse input is a little
buggy, but it’s mostly a cosmetic issue. The game often has the
wrong idea of where the cursor is for tooltips and button/object
highlights, but clicks register correctly.

Could you clarify what you mean by experimental mac driver please?

Answering my own question here. From the CrossOver menu Configure->Manage Bottles... and then select your bottle (RIFT in this case) then under the Advanced tab there's a checkbox for "Enable experimental Mac Driver". This is for Mac obviously, not sure about equivalents for Linux.

OK the new 12.5 version seems to break this again and now there isnt an option for the experimental mac driver :(

Is there a current solution for this issue?
Thanks!

I opened a support ticket for this issue... if I get any useful information I'll post here

Ok, I got an answer from the support

Our developers are working on fixing this issue with Rift under Crossover Mac 12.5 right now
[...]
In the meantime the workaround is to downgrade to Crossover 12.2.2. at http://www.codeweavers.com/account/downloads/?_dl=archive Just replace the Crossover app icon on your machine with the older version you download and you'll be downgraded.

I can confirm this workaround works... you have to remove the Direct3D\StrictDrawOrdering entry in the registry (in case you added it) and enable the experimental drivers in the bottle advanced config.

This way I get a decent fps and no graphical artifacts/glitch

Greetings,

I am a trial user currently playing Rift on Crossover 12.5 on a rMBP with a GT650m nVidia card, and 16gb of ram.

I'm having graphics-flickering issues. I was hoping to downgrade to 12.2.2, as the poster above me stated that it fixes the issue. However, when I went to the Archive link (http://www.codeweavers.com/account/downloads/?_dl=archive), I see nothing.

Do I need to be a paying user to access the archive?

Arthur Sabintsev wrote:

Greetings,

I am a trial user currently playing Rift on Crossover 12.5 on a rMBP
with a GT650m nVidia card, and 16gb of ram.

I'm having graphics-flickering issues. I was hoping to downgrade to
12.2.2, as the poster above me stated that it fixes the issue.
However, when I went to the Archive link
(http://www.codeweavers.com/account/downloads/?_dl=archive), I see
nothing.

Do I need to be a paying user to access the archive?

I ended up upgrading. Once I did, I saw 12.2.2 in the archive. I downloaded it and that fixed my graphic glitches! Woot woot!

Tried 12.5.1 and still have the screen flash issues :(

I don't believe there is anything to do; I've had this problem for well over a year and even contacted support and opened a ticket. The Mac Driver was supposed to resolve but it hasn't. I've all but given up using Crossover for Rift and installed Windows via BootCamp. If you can't deal with the flashes (as I couldn't ultimately), I think that is really the only option. :(

1 to 15 of 15

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZG5QQ3lwS1N5MmFHdnJMZiIsImdkcHIiOjB9