Rift Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

RIFT crashing on start after 3.0 Nightmare Tide expansion update

RIFT on Crossover 14.0 OS X no longer starts after the 3.0 update. Was working OK prior to update.

The client will crash after getting though somewhere around 30%-60% of the initial loading screen.

Same here. It crashes at 16% everytime.

I actually managed to get on once. The graphics error eventually appeared and made Rift crash. I haven't been able to get on since. It tends to crash at 11%. I don't know if the servers are just too busy, or if something's gone wrong.

Same on my Linux installation.
It varies how far it gets, but it always stalls on 'selection authentication accepted' in the upper-left loading area - I presume that has something to do with it.
I logged in once yesterday after the patch without any issues (just wanted to check), so I'm not sure why it's no longer working.

Same for me the game crash now, with the new update.

Same problem here OSX 10.8.5 and Crossover 14. RIFT crashes at loading screen. Please try to fix it!

I'm updating my client and will see what happens.

Wrt the crashes after a time: Try to set HKCU/Software/Wine/Direct3D/allow_apple_client_storage = disable . This improves VM use quite a bit for us. The new rift crosstie sets this key, but can't inject it in old installations.

I can reproduce the crashes, looks like something is gone wrong in the multithreaded command stream.

EDIT: Never mind, it is crashing in plain Wine too, so not CSMT / performance enhanced graphics related. I was just lucky on the first start...

Last update for now: The game seems to start fine with taskset -c 1 on Linux, which makes the scheduler schedule the game only on the first CPU. This suggests a race condition somewhere. Unfortunately that workaround will make performance terrible, and there's no equivalent on OSX. I'll keep looking to see if the race is Wine's bug. But honestly I'm hoping that the problem goes away by a patch to RIFT in the next few days :-\ .

EDIT: taskset -c 1

I tried using taskset, and it worked fine with bog-standard WINE. Should I start a bug report under RIFT for WINE? Or will it filter to there, as well? (Linux, here.)

This morning's hot fix didn't fix the problem.

I tried repairing Rift from the Glyph startup screen. Nothing changed.

I've never used 'taskset' before, so I had a hard time finding out how to do it, but eventually found
taskset -c 0 /opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle RIFT --cx-app 'c:/Program Files/Glyph/GlyphClient.exe'
which worked. Horrible performance though - spent a long time waiting for Tempest Bay to load. Questing did work (the five minutes I tried), but I hope a better fix will come along one way or another.

I got it working with two core using:
taskset -c 0,7 /opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle RIFT --cx-app 'c:/Program Files/Glyph/GlyphClient.exe'

As expected, performance is a bit better, but but still, not a real solution. :(

That's weird. I tried with 0,1, which just made me crash (1,2 as well, I think), so I figured only one would work...
Not that I know how these things work, but it just seems a tad illogical.

'Much' better performance though.

Bjørn Vidar Dahle wrote:

That's weird. I tried with 0,1, which just made me crash (1,2 as
well, I think), so I figured only one would work...
Not that I know how these things work, but it just seems a tad
illogical.

'Much' better performance though.

I retested using the following configurations, :

taskset -c 0,1  /opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle RIFT --cx-app 'c:/Program Files/Glyph/GlyphClient.exe'  CRASHED
taskset -c 0,2  /opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle RIFT --cx-app 'c:/Program Files/Glyph/GlyphClient.exe'  OK
taskset -c 0,3  /opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle RIFT --cx-app 'c:/Program Files/Glyph/GlyphClient.exe'  OK
taskset -c 0,4  /opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle RIFT --cx-app 'c:/Program Files/Glyph/GlyphClient.exe'  OK
taskset -c 0,5  /opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle RIFT --cx-app 'c:/Program Files/Glyph/GlyphClient.exe'  OK
taskset -c 0,6  /opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle RIFT --cx-app 'c:/Program Files/Glyph/GlyphClient.exe'  OK
taskset -c 0,7  /opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle RIFT --cx-app 'c:/Program Files/Glyph/GlyphClient.exe'  OK

Also, the following combination failed:

taskset -c 1,2  /opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle RIFT --cx-app 'c:/Program Files/Glyph/GlyphClient.exe'  CRASHED

It seems core 0 is required always for it to work (it seems), but if you include adjacent cores (0,1) it fails. Also it fails if i include more than one core (ie. taskset -c 0,5,7). Haven't tested all combinations of trios, but I expect similar results.

With two cores is "playable", however, as I stated before, its not a fix.

edit: by "playable" i mean "very playable". However, it's not like before.

For hardware reference my cpu is AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor.

Can anyone replicate results in other architectures?

Yup, its still crashing at the 17%.

Customer support suggested that i should save the crash report. I followed the instructions but i havent succeded to launch the program with crashlog.
https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/submittechsupportlog

I initially had the freeze on 16%. I disabled on-demand updating, forcing it to download the entire game update first.

This enabled me to get through to character select, but it freezes at various points before I can get anywhere. Sometimes with graphical artifacts, sometimes not.

I have this as well, please what should we do

I am not sure if this was the same issue, but I would crash while loading the character selection screen every time. I solved this by deleting everything under:

.cxoffice/RIFT/drive_c/users/crossover/Application Data/RIFT

This reset all of my in-game graphical settings, but doesn't seem to have done anything else negative. I just played a dungeon, and performance was good on two cores.

I'm glad your fix worked for you, Brian. I tried deleting those files on my iMac and pretty much got the same crash as always.

Question: should someone make a bug report for regular WINE on this, or will it trickle to it, as well?

I'm looking at this again, it looks like the bug didn't magically go away with game updates ☹️ .

For the Linux users: You can use taskset to re-enable other CPUs for the game after it started and the game is past the crashing point. That should improve performance somewhat. Unfortunately there's another change in RIFT that has a pretty terrible impact on performance. It seems that they heavilly use synchronization primitives that go through wineserver.

Finances are kind of tight for a Crossover subscription, but I'm willing to help test whatever on the WINE front. I'm not adverse to a git pull and compile. :)

I've just tried limiting OS X Yosemite CPU cores to 1 using the Xcode Instruments App.

Guide as per: http://jesperrasmussen.com/blog/2013/03/07/limiting-cpu-cores-on-the-fly-in-os-x-mountain-lion/

I limited to 1 core in the instruments prefs. Rift was painfully slow but eventually got to the character select screen. This took at least 5 minutes. Once I clicked on play login to tempest bay was also taking minutes to complete. I changed back to 4 cores and login was back to full speed. I logged in OK and could move around fine. So this looks like a decent work around for OS X for now. Does require XCode installed but I had that already. I'll try some experiments with different numbers of active cores.

Update: Tested with 2 cores. Login worked and was a lot faster. Was able to change back to 4 cores before login completed without a crash.

I tried bootcamp as an alternative and native performance on my 2010 MBP wasn't much difference from crossover. I'd prefer not to use windows if I don't have to.

I tried limiting the CPU to 1 core and almost managed to log in. I couldn't switch back to 4 cores after hitting "play" because I'm stuck in fullscreen mode until I do log in and get to the Settings menu.

I tried moving up to 2 cores and the game promptly crashed at 16%. I'm on an iMac running Mavericks. Maybe that's why it didn't work.

I don't want to use Boot Camp. Cozza, did you mean that Rift crashed under Boot Camp?

Jennifer Jerlstrom wrote:

I tried limiting the CPU to 1 core and almost managed to log in. I
couldn't switch back to 4 cores after hitting "play" because I'm
stuck in fullscreen mode until I do log in and get to the Settings
menu.

I tried moving up to 2 cores and the game promptly crashed at 16%.
I'm on an iMac running Mavericks. Maybe that's why it didn't work.

I don't want to use Boot Camp. Cozza, did you mean that Rift
crashed under Boot Camp?

No, Rift didn't crash using bootcamp, just the performance was only slightly better than I remember it being running using crossover.

I'm running Rift in Windowed mode under crossover so perhaps that helped. I've just had the game crash on me. Went through the restart with 1 cpu and changed back to 4 but only after the character select screen appeared.

What happens if you CMD TAB to switch apps when in full screen ?

I managed to get Rift into windowed mode, so we'll never know what happens when you use Command-Tab.

I did manage to get on starting in 1 node and switching to 2 after hitting play. XCode wouldn't let me go higher than 2 nodes at that point. Rift will run, but it's a bit slow. I can build, play with the minions and use the auction house just fine, but I'm not sure I could get through a combat. I'll try that tomorrow.

There's also another hot fix tomorrow morning. We'll have to see what happens.

Newest RIFT patch did not help. Still waiting for solution.

Another workaround I found was editing rift.cfg (In C:\users\crossover\application data\RIFT) and remove the line that says EULA = 300. That will cause the game to prompt for the EULA on the next run, somehow averting the race condition for one start. It probably won't help for any possible crashes after the character selection screen.

I was also able to work around the problem by adding a Sleep() in our code. This makes this look more like a game bug, but I still could not reproduce it on Windows, so no proof yet. It is also possible that the game is entering a bad codepath due to a difference between CrossOver and Windows.

Stefan Dösinger wrote:

Another workaround I found was editing rift.cfg (In
C:\users\crossover\application data\RIFT) and remove the line that
says EULA = 300. That will cause the game to prompt for the EULA on
the next run, somehow averting the race condition for one start. It
probably won't help for any possible crashes after the character
selection screen.

I was also able to work around the problem by adding a Sleep() in
our code. This makes this look more like a game bug, but I still
could not reproduce it on Windows, so no proof yet. It is also
possible that the game is entering a bad codepath due to a
difference between CrossOver and Windows.

Yes i remember, first time i ran 3.0 update i got into Eula screen, but it crashed shortly after that.

What could be similar solution for Mac Crossover? Where is the rift.cfg on Mac?

I managed to find the rift.cfg file on mac

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/RIFT/drive_c/users/crossover/Application Data/RIFT

and i can verify that remove EULA=300 trick really works.

Now i can log into game and play for some time. Unfortunately the game still crashes alot its nowhere as stable as it was half year ago.

Decided to install it via Steam on the Windows machine currently hooked up to our TV and stream to my Linux box that way for the time being. Hopefully it won't be for too long.

I'm having the same problems - the game will crash before loading screen.

However, it works just fine if I use the old launcher by deleting all glyph files and run riftpatchlive.exe (I'm just hoping this workaround will work until this glyph bug is fixed).

Of course it's annoying since it crashes every 40 minutes, but at least it starts up this way.

See post #7 about the crashes after playing a while 😊

Post #7 didn't help me. I set that key as specified and it did no good whatsoever. I'm running the very latest version of CrossOver, updated this morning and Mavericks on an iMac from late 2013 with an NVIDIA graphics chip.

Setting that registry value to disabled might help someone else, though.

Ah okay, I thought that was related to something else.

Anyway, I don't seem to have a folder named Direct3D?
Should I create the folder?

The EULA=300 trick worked once. I played so much with the files that I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling everything. They EULA=300 trick worked once again. Then after an hour the game crashed and now it's back to not working.

So there is not really a way to play this game for mac? I have read trough the posts, but really don't know what the fixes are for linus or Mac.

Hello

I bought crossover just to be able to play Rift on my mac.

If it is not working anymore, then I think I will demand a refund

Limiting the CPU processing cores is no longer working. I got to the character selection screen on one core, hit "Play", waited for the next screen, changed to two cores and watched Rift crash right before I would have entered the game. This happened three times.

I don't know what's wrong, as this workaround worked earlier this morning.

Is it time for Boot Camp?

I have found the reason for the crash. We will release a bugfix release within the next days if the fix proves reliable.

The problem turned out to be a bug in the way we handle asynchronous network operations. We accidentally interrupted one of Rift's wait calls when server replies arrive, which causes Rift to corrupt internal data that another thread is working on, leading to the crash.

CrossOver 14.0.3 shipped today, it contains the fix for Rift.

Thank you.
Working again for me following the 14.0.3 update.

Edit: I have noticed that after playing for a while the frame rate drops down to 1 - 4 fps and the game becomes unplayable at that point.

Going to try it out right now.

Edit: I did try it out only problem is that the map is bugged/glitched somebody has the same problem?

After playing it a little bit longer I found more bugs:

The loading screen isn't show correct, and the screens aren't shown correct

I had Pics but I couldn't add them.

I have Mac book pro
2,5 Intel Core i5
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 mb
OS X 10.9

I just tried to log on to rift and right when I open glyph It crashes and said "The program GlyphClient.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvienence."

I can confirm the Glyphclient crash. RIFT is unplayable atm.

Stefan Dösinger wrote:

CrossOver 14.0.3 shipped today, it contains the fix for Rift.

Will this eventually make its way to WINE? Using 1.7.31, and still need to set cores with taskset.

Jen wrote:

Will this eventually make its way to WINE? Using 1.7.31, and still
need to set cores with taskset.

Yes. The patch is in my list of outbound patches and I'll send it once I'm done with the focus change stuff. I have to do a bit more work on the tests before it meets Wine's quality standards.

1 to 50 of 59

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTXpMZDdUYkhKQkhzVHVuZSIsImdkcHIiOjB9