Rift Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Clean Install - Glyph Inaccessible

I had the same problems as everyone else since 3.0 came out, so I decided to delete RIFT and do a fresh install. I started the fresh install and everything went well through the patcher, then the patcher made me update to Glyph. Once I started the installation of Glyph, it seemed to go well, but when it finished and I should see the page where I select the game, that page doesn't come up! The screen just stays on the desktop even though the wine loader with the Glpyh icon shows up as an application when I command-tab. And when I have it selected I see "GlyphClient" up at the top of the screen, but no Glyph window.

Here's the weird part though: if I hit F9 so that I can see all the programs I have open, wine loader is one of the windows and I can see a very tiny versions of the correct Glyph screen in the corners of the box! But if I select that box, I can't see the Glyph screen. So, without being able to load Glyph now, I can't finishing installing/updating RIFT.

Two things to note: I'm using Crossover v.14 and I did redirect the Glyph installer to the correct RIFT folder since I know it doesn't go to the right place by default. Also, I've redone the installation three times now to ensure I wasn't making a mistake.

Thoughts?

You might need more Windows software in your Glyph bottle. I had to add Direct X and a few other things to my bottle to stop getting a black screen.

Also, did you use the Glyph crosstie, or the Rift crosstie? You should really use the Glyph crosstie.

Thank you for the response. I'm not sure what you mean by "crosstie," but I've tried to start the game by clicking both the Glyph icon as well as the RIFT icon with the same failing result. Also, I had to install DX9 as part of a clean installation, but in case I messed it up, I just reinstalled again to no avail.

I'm not sure just what a crosstie is either, other than a magical button on this Web site that installs software. If you look for Glyph in the "What Runs?" search box, you should come to a page on Glyph. Ignore the part about Glyph not working and scroll down. There should be installation instructions and a green button that says something like "Use Crosstie to install Glyph". Push the green button and the software will make a bottle and dump Glyph into it, which will then install Rift.

Good luck!

Well, it was worth a try, but installing from that crosstie yielded the same results. Thank you for the suggestions though, and if you come up with any more I'd be happy to hear them!

Hi Robert
I had the exact same problem with Glyph.
The only way i found to see the Glyph client is:
-Open crossover
-Right click the Bottle containing Glyph and Rift
-Go to Settings
-Check "Use Legacy X Windows System"
-Start Glyph client

Hope it helps!

Hey, thanks Mauro! It acted a little glitchy, but that got Glyph to load! That allowed me to install and now have the actual 3.0 problems, lol.

Are you able to login into the game?
I had a problem, the game crashed all the time at 10-20% in the loading screen but i found a workaround:
-Open Crossover
-Right click the bottle containing Rift/Glyph
-Click on Open C:Drive
-Browse /Users/crossover/Application Data/RIFT
-There you'll find 4 .cfg files and 1 .log
-I have to delete "rift.cfg" file before i start the game (or it crashes loading)

It usually crashes 2-3 times, but if I keep trying it eventually starts the game. I'll give your suggestion a shot to see if that saves me the crashes!

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVVE5NWtQUXBWQzMzejUzSCIsImdkcHIiOjB9