Rift Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Can't Run Glyph After 5/18/16

I understand that Trion has been having issues with Glyph for a while now (Self-updates every time it's opened), but now I'm not actually able to even access the launcher. It will run for all of 2~3 seconds before closing itself (Does not give any kind of error message).

Basic specs -
Macbook Pro, 13-inch, Mid-2012
OS X El Capitan v10.11.3
CrossOver v14.1.4.28576 (Support/upgrade period expired, so it's a bit behind in terms of updates)

I was running Glyph/RIFT perfectly fine up until this patch hit. Has anyone else been having this issue?

Kind of a side note - I have been seeing mentions of this possibly only affecting Windows XP users. I know that my Glyph/RIFT bottle(s) is/are set to XP. Is there a way to I guess convert it to Windows 7, if that would fix it?

There is a later patch to the Glyph Installer that works. However, the patch from the past week broke it all again.

It was running swimmingly the week before Memorial Day and now Glyph starts but there is no UI visible. The Finder bar shows it is running but there's no way to interact with it.

I agree it is the "XP mode" in Crossover that's causing the issue but Trion seems to be going out of their way to break things of late.

I'm about to reset Crossover on my Mac. I'll try installing it to a Windows 7 bottle and see if it works any better and report back.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this, work got crazy for a while.

RIFT was running fine in XP with the latest update from Trion. However the 6/8 patch seems to have a downloading issue. It gets everything downloaded but then it can't finish the streaming update and crashes.

I can login and go through character selection, but if you try to change characters, it will throw an error at the selection screen that it can't download necessary data and must close.

I'm going to bite the bullet and try it in a Win7 bottle now. I'll report back in a few hours once it's downloaded.

Following up in Win7 - the Glyph Installer crashes and IE 7 won't install.

We're at the mercy of Trion as usual.

I am going to send them an e-mail letting them know that I'll not be renewing my Patron status because of this and their attitude towards Mac/Linux clients.

John Lamb wrote:

RIFT was running fine in XP with the latest update from Trion.
However the 6/8 patch seems to have a downloading issue. It gets
everything downloaded but then it can't finish the streaming update
and crashes.

I've been checking daily since 5/18, but my computer refuses to even open Glyph. It shows up for a second or two in the Activity Monitor before just closing itself down. Doesn't even give me an error message when it happens

UPDATE: I uninstalled, and then re-downloaded and re-installed Glyph. Glyph now opens and runs normally.

However, RIFT instantly crashes upon hitting the "Play" button. I have a suspicion that it's due to RIFT's recent change to Multi-core. I'm not sure how this would impact playing on a Mac, but my computer more or less requires the Low Quality Renderer to be turned on. When Trion released Multi-core, they made that the default rather than the LQR.

My question now is this: How would the change to Multi-core affect gameplay on a Mac?

I don't think it's the multi-core support. I was in the beta and was running it in multi-core without problems. It really helped frame rates and reduced lag. The latest update freezes when the opening cinematic is skipped or when finished. It seems more like a DirectX issue. The last few patches from Trion have been really hit or miss in regards to playability.

Okay, there is a fix for the opening movie issues.

You have to edit your rift.cfg and add the following to it:

[Movies]
PlayedIntroMovie = True

My system is a hackintosh and I've installed Linux on this same exact hardware and experience the same exact situation with Linux running Crossover as well. The only difference is that DirectX installation fails on the Linux side but is successful on the OS X side.

I've fired off a e-mail to them explaining why I've dropped my Patron status after a few years and won't be a paying customer until this constant breakage ends.

My Mac setup:

El Capitan 10.11.5
i5-4690, 32GB RAM, GTX 660 with 2GB RAM

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVnRtNVdQSFpFVmY5SlNVOCIsImdkcHIiOjB9