RollerCoaster Tycoon Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Save/Load Crash in RCT Deluxe (Steam)

I bought RCT Deluxe off of Steam during the sale and I've been pulling my hair out ever since. The game runs fine--I originally installed it through Steam in Crossover--but whenever I save or load, after I click a button on the dialogue box the screen just goes black. The cursor turns white and changes to a hand sometimes like it's trying to interact with things, and the music keeps going, but I can't do anything and I have to force quit. There were similar issues reported at GOG but I haven't found any that work. I'm running Crossover 14.0.3 and the RCT is Deluxe, which means it's the original with three expansions. I've tried making sure I can write to the disk CrossOver is on, etc., but I can't locate the problem. I've tried doing run commands but it just says Windows doesn't have a program that can run the file.

I also tried just installing it using RCT's setup.exe that I found in the hidden Steam folders inside CrossOver. The game runs exactly the same as when I launch it inside Steam. I've tried installing the game in different Windows bottles, into its own bottle, etc. I've tried enabling virtual desktop every time but no change.

If it matters, I'm running OS X 10.9.5.

I solved this. You have to run in windowed.

How do you run in windowed? I am also having this same problem...

I run it windowed (go into the options and you choose the screen size) but the issue still happens for me. The below quote sums up what is occurring.

This is a quote from another poster in this forum:
https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=21;forum=1;msg=109027
"Also, switching it to Windowed mode from within the game's options does seem to work (in terms of saving and loading the game); but you do lose edge scrolling which makes the game largely unplayable. Also, any attempt to resize the window or otherwise change the game's resolution crashes the game."

I've been having the same problem with saving. If it wasn't for being on steam, you could write a .bat file for save states. Is there anything you may be able to write in the launch options to do something similar?

I don't know what the difference is between mine and everyone else's system but on Yosemite mid-2012 macbook this game runs perfectly on mine(windowed mode is a must though for saves somehow it prevents it from hanging on save, and I can multi-task now with it)

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVUtxTGJIWnA5dlJhbVJiSyIsImdkcHIiOjB9