RootsMagic 6 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

RootsMagic limitations under CrossOver

There would appear to be a few limitations in the RootsMagic functions one can use when running under CrossOver. However, these are unlikely to be significant for most RootsMagic users and is an acceptable alternative to the second one here.

Note that the following is extracted from appends on the various RootsMagic forums and is believed to be correct as at RM 6.3.1.4 and CrossOver 13.2.0. The author has not necessarily investigated these issues in great depth. As always, if anyone has additional or better information, then that would be most welcome.

RootsMagic To-Go

This requires the use of a USB drive, first to create the necessary files and then to be used as a PC boot device. I'm not sure whether the first of these is possible with CrossOver, but even if it was, the second part would require a "proper PC".

Direct Use of Dropbox

RM 6.3.1.0 introduced 2 new functions that use Dropbox by storing files directly onto the Dropbox site. File>Save to Dropbox saves the open database file, whereas File>Backup>to Dropbox saves a backup of the open database.

When running RM under Crossover, these options do not appear, apparently because of limitations of the Internet Explorer package included in the RM bottle.

Note that there is a relatively easy way round this. Just use Dropbox in the normal way outside RM.

There may be other limitations, but these are the only ones I am currently aware of.

John Parker wrote:

There would appear to be a few limitations in the RootsMagic
functions one can use when running under CrossOver. However, these
are unlikely to be significant for most RootsMagic users and is an
acceptable alternative to the second one here.

Note that the following is extracted from appends on the various
RootsMagic forums and is believed to be correct as at RM 6.3.1.4 and
CrossOver 13.2.0. The author has not necessarily investigated these
issues in great depth. As always, if anyone has additional or better
information, then that would be most welcome.

RootsMagic To-Go

This requires the use of a USB drive, first to create the necessary
files and then to be used as a PC boot device. I'm not sure whether
the first of these is possible with CrossOver, but even if it was,
the second part would require a "proper PC".

Looked into this feature and what it does is to install a "portable" version of the application on the flash drive. You can kind of/sort of achieve the same thing by copying the bottle to the flash drive and symlinking it to the directory where CrossOver is used to find its bottles. Wish there was a GUI way to do this. Something like "Add bottle from directory" and it checks to see whether the directory you point it to is a valid bottle.

Would be even cooler if it checked to see if the dir was on a removable drive and offer a sort of "mount/unmount" bottle functionality to cope with the fact that mount points of the actual flash drive can vary.

I guess my point is that the bottles are basically "portable" themselves. You can copy them and move them to any machine which runs CrossOver.

John Parker wrote:

Direct Use of Dropbox

RM 6.3.1.0 introduced 2 new functions that use Dropbox by storing
files directly onto the Dropbox site. File>Save to Dropbox
saves the open database file, whereas File>Backup>to Dropbox saves a
backup of the open database.

When running RM under Crossover, these options do not appear,
apparently because of limitations of the Internet Explorer package
included in the RM bottle.

Note that there is a relatively easy way round this. Just use
Dropbox in the normal way outside RM.

I don't know how this works. Does it rely on the actual dropbox client being installed on the machine or does it use the API that the folks at dropbox make available in various forms? (I assume it's the HTTP variant which is documented here:
https://www.dropbox.com/developers/core/docs

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiR0wySkV3NU42cFl5RVltdiIsImdkcHIiOjB9