RootsMagic 7 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Getting RootsMagic 7 going

I have just installed RM7 on a Mac, but had some difficulty in getting it going. Here is what I had to do to make it usable.

Having run the install successfully, I started RM7 and then needed to specify the location of my RM folders using Tools/Program Options. Having selected the Folders panel, when I selected the .... In order to browse the filing system to select where the Files (for example) are, I got the egg-timer and the only way out was to force quit RM. Fortunately just a few days ago I had encountered exactly the same problem with RM6, which is officially supported by CodeWeavers. My problem report is still outstanding with them, but I have had feedback that a bypass was to change the "configuration" of the bottle (using the Wine Configuration tool) to run as if under Windows 7, and this is something that I had then verified as true.

So, I tried this change to Windows 7 for RM7, and it did indeed allow me to browse my filing system and define all the appropriate folders. Having then closed RM7, when I tried to run it again and open an existing RM file, there were 2 immediate exception pop-ups, apparently indicating serious problems. This looked rather unpromising. However, I then changed the bottle back from Windows 7 to Windows XP, and the RM7 appeared to work just fine. It is early days, but everything I tried then worked OK, including accessing Family Search Family Tree. (Note that this change back to Windows XP hadn't been necessary for RM6, but I have changed that bottle back anyway.)

This may or may not help others, but so far seems to have done the trick for me.

Note that I am using OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 and CrossOver for Mac 14.0.3.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUmZWelZTQ0hUZkVuemI4QyIsImdkcHIiOjB9