SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

<Solved?>Can't install now (UPDATE: Distro-related)

Just tried to install, but ran into troubles switching discs. When trying to mount the second disk, I would get a message saying "mount: /dev/sr0 already mounted or /mnt/cdrom busy". I assume it is the latter. In earlier versions of Crossover, I was able to successfully eject the first disk and mount the second. I'm not sure if it is a change in Crossover or in Linux. I am using Gentoo Linux 2.6.36-r5 64-bit with CXGames 10.0.0.

EDIT: I found out it was something with Gentoo. I could mount and install the game successfuly with Fedora 14 64-bit. This does not appear to be a bug in Wine or Crossover. It looks like the problem lies with Gentoo (I couldn't even mount the disk so I could see it's contents with my file manager). I can't say for sure which distros will/won't have trouble with the discs.

So, now that I could install and play it, I have updated my rating of it accordingly to Silver.

I apologize for the incorrect rating earlier and any inconvenience it may have caused.

Hibba.

I seem to be having a similar problem in my Virtual Machine running Ubuntu 9.10. But instead of receiving an error message, it simply won't go past the "insert disk 2" message during installation.

Got it working in Gentoo! For some reason, I needed to specify the filesystem type when mounting it. So, for example, running
sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /media/ should work for most distros, but please change the final mount point to suit your distro (for example, in Gentoo for me it's /mnt/cdrom instead of /media/). Also, I copied disc one to a folder on my hard disk, then in a terminal used cd to get to that folder and ran ~/cxgames/bin/cxrun --bottle ~/.cxgames/Simcity4/ ~/SC4_DISK1/setup.exe. (This assumes that you copied the contents of disk 1 into a folder in your home directory named "SC4_DISK1"). ALTERNATIVE TO COMMAND-LINE: If you do not feel comfortable in the commandline, then you could probably also do the above by clicking on the "Run a Windows Command" item in your desktop's menu (for me in KDE, it's under Applications>Crossover Games). From there, select the bottle you want to use and then point it to the setup.exe file that you copied to your hard disk.

When it asks you for disc 2 during the installation, I mounted it as instructed above and that did the trick.

Please let me know if this helps or if I have made a mistake anywhere. Please feel free to ask any questions and I will answer them as well as I can.

Hibba.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRmhNelVacExOWUxRRnQ0OSIsImdkcHIiOjB9