SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Unable to start Simcity 4 Deluxe Edition on my Macbook

Hello,

I was able to install Simcity 4 Deluxe Edition on my Macbook without any problems, though the installation involved swapping a 2nd CD to complete the installation, and Codeweavers at that point seemed to think I was trying to install a 2nd game. I just clicked the Ignore button and the installation seemed to continue on its own.
However, when I try to run the game, an error window pops up stating the following:
"Program Error - The program Simcity 4.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

It seems like a lot of people have been able to run the game without this problem. Am I doing something wrong?

Please help!
-Rob

Macbook (Uni-body, Late 2008)
OSX 10.6.8
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Bottle is set to WinXP

I recently got it running. Instead of mounting the CDs one at a time, create copies of them as dmgs (assuming you're mounting the cds one at a time vis your cd drive) and then mount both at the same time. There won't be any issue then installing and it should run fine. However it can be a bit glitchy and lagging if you're not on reasonably powerful hardware.

bloodtiger10,

Thanks for the tip! As per your suggestion, I was able to create a .dmg file from CD#1 using the Disk Utility, but I was unable to create a .dmg file from CD#2. When I tried, a window popped up stating there was an "input/output error". I tried creating .cdr files instead, but got the same error for CD#2. I even tried using a friend's Simcity 4 Deluxe Edition installation CDs, thinking that my CD#2 was corrupted somehow, but yet again, I got the same error when I tried to create a disk image from his CD#2. For some reason, I can create an image of CD#1 but not CD#2. I take it you didn't have this problem?

Thanks, again,
Rob

No I didn't have this problem. What are you trying to create the disk image with? You can always drop down to a command prompt and use diskutil (the command line version of Disk Utility) and see what error that gives you (that'll give you more detailed error messages usually). Also, would it be possible to try and create the iso (which is fine too, doesn't have to be a dmg) on his computer and then use something like an external hard drive to transfer it to yours?

bloodtiger10,

I tried your suggestion and I opened up a terminal and tried "diskutil" and "dd":

diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk1s0
 dd if=/dev/disk1s0 of=SC4DELUXECD2.iso 

But I got essentially the same error message: "Input/output error". So, maybe it's a problem with my macbook? Anyway, I had my friend convert the CDs to .iso image files for me on his PC and I managed to install the game in a bottle without any problems. However, I'm still getting the same error message window about a "Program error" pop up when I try to run the game. I've done some more searching online and apparently some people are saying that even with a legit copy of the game installed, which I have, one still needs to use a NoCD crack for the game to actually run? Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all your help!
Rob

Hrmm odd. Have you tried running it with both CDs mounted virtually? I did that and I had no issues in the latest version of Crossover.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZ3lmY0xZYm1TQzJLcVRLQyIsImdkcHIiOjB9