Sins of a Solar Empire Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Does SoaSE require re-activation when copied into a bottle?

I've been thinking about buying Sins of a Solar Empire since some people seem to be able to play in in CXG. However, I am still smarting from my discovery that I can no longer play GalCiv 2 in Crossover because the activation scheme requires Impulse (which requires .NET) and will fail if I install it in Windows, then copy it to my CGX bottle (it thinks it is running on a new machine, and requires re-activation). So can anyone tell me whether or not SoaSE will require re-activation once I copy it into my CGX bottle. If it does, then it will be impossible for me to play. What I need to be able to do is download and install, then patch it to the latest version, all via Impulse in Windows, then copy the folder into my CGX bottle, and I need to know if that will work before I drop $30 on it.

SoaSE does not require activation, however the micro expansions do. As such just copy a full patched up SoaSE from a windows install to the bottle and you wont need any activation. If you transfer an install with entrenchment though a text dialog box will pop up asking you for your serial number. Should you be able to enter it all should work well. I will test this soon with 7.2.2 as I am not sure how well this works.

I've installed SoaSE + Entrenchment from my Impulse account into a VMWare system. When I zip the application folder up, and move it to my CrossOver Mac bottle, and try to run it, I get an Activation window. Unfortunately, I can't see any text I type in to that window, but after a few tries, I got it to accept my email and serial number. It was kind of a pain, but the program seems to be working fine for me now.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRXBhMlB5ZjMzNWJBc25NOCIsImdkcHIiOjB9