Sins of a Solar Empire Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Getting Sins of a Solar Empire Demo running with COG 8.0 / linux

This may or maynot apply to the game final version, but it certainly gets the
demo of this title running under COG 8.0 / linux......

//cut from another thread here//

Okay, after a bit of stick-poking, I managed to learn enough to get 'Sins of a Solar Empire Demo.exe'
installing properly....and actually seems to run pretty good as well -- here's what I did, in the order
I used (incase order was important)...

1. Start cxsetup=>Manage bottles tab=>create a new bottle (give it a name) using the winxp profile

2. Once bottle creation has completed, click on the Add/Remove tab =>highlight this new bottle=>configure=>control panel=>winecfg

3. Click on the Graphics tab in the winecfg GUI, and set 'Emulate a virtual desktop' ON, click on Apply=>Ok=>Ok

4. Highlight the same bottle again, and click on Install software=>click Show all service packs and dependencies

5. Install the following service packs/deps in this order ;

Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Redistributable
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
    Microsoft Directx Runtime Modern

6. In the Add/Remove window of cxsetup, highlight the same bottle again, and click on 'Install fonts'
    to install the core font set.

7. Finally, with the bottle still highlighted, click on 'Install software' => 'Install other game',
    point it to the executable installer for Sine of a Solar Empire --- the (demo) installer now
    completes correctly, and the game starts and runs (quite well)...

//....|....//

Note: If the demo of the game isn't installed using the above method, the
actual installer has an error and may be be leaving the installation in an
inconsistent state -- preparing the bottle first seems mandatory here. (I
tried numerous different approaches, but only the above 'worked as expected')

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNTRCd0trU3djR014dXQ0dSIsImdkcHIiOjB9