Sins of a Solar Empire Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Bought game today finally… cannot get it to run (SoaSE Trinity)

I finally got around to buying the game today as a digital download and have used every trick in the book posted here. The blasted game just won't play. It appears that the problem is rooted in this being a compilation of the game and its expansions, titled "Trinity", released just a few days ago as I just found out. The trinity launcher freezes with a white splash screen, and trying the individual game launchers gives me a box asking for my registration code. Unlike the release versions of Cx 8, I have no trouble visualizing the fields in this box. But it keeps telling me I have an invalid product when I enter my registration code (retrieved from Impulse in a Parallels vm). I've copied over all Stardock and Ironclad folders from the "Application Data" folders and "Program Files" folders. I'm just at a loss now. I'm guessing this would work if the "Trinity" game launcher worked, but no such luck. :(

Hi,

Be aware that in the case of digital download games, wherein a registration
needs be entered, the codes generated by a VM will be different from those being
generated in crossover -- what digital download version do you have?

Cheers!

Hi

in impulse is it one download or 3 one for each?

if it is 3 then you can get the license key for each game and register them

if not then we will have to get the trinity launcher running and hopefully it is not running because there is a dll missing

Alex

Howdy Don. I have the "Trinity" compilation, v. 1.01, released only in the past few days as it turns out. Blast my tardiness and luck!

Alex… Impulse has it as a single download and key, not 3 separate ones. The one key itself is retrieved via the Impulse software. Anything I can do to help try and narrow this down to a specific dll file, if that (hopefully) is all it turns out to be?

Hi

do you know how to make a log file

If you launch SOASE Trinity using CrossOver's Run Command dialog, and use the debug options to create a log and enable CrashReporter, then click run and save the log to an easy to access place.

then open the log and see if it says import ...dll anywhere in the text

Alex

I gave it a whirl, but nothing is in it with "import", and two entries for "dll"… both say "ntdll" (no "." in there). Here's what I think is the relevant portion of the crash log:

fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {b54f3741-5b07-11cf-a4b0-00aa004a55e8} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {b54f3741-5b07-11cf-a4b0-00aa004a55e8} not registered
err:ole:create_server class {b54f3741-5b07-11cf-a4b0-00aa004a55e8} not registered
fixme:ole:CoGetClassObject CLSCTX_REMOTE_SERVER not supported
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {b54f3741-5b07-11cf-a4b0-00aa004a55e8} could be created for context 0x17
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x10021312 (thread 001e), starting debugger...
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0x10021312).

I'm highly skeptical that this is going to be an easy fix. I've emailed support explaining the situation and hopefully can either get keys for each of the 3 parts to the game, or a refund so I can buy the original and expansions separately. It's a long shot but might as well try. Heck, I dunno if even getting new keys would work.

hmm so when you open diplomacy for example you get the registration box where you cant see what your typing?

Alex

P.S. Damn why is there not proper .net support in crossover so that impulse would work :(

OK this probably will not work but could you copy the registration files from parallels into the bottle?

Alex

If so they need to be put in users/public/application data/ironclad games/Sins of a solar empire/License

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already had tried copying those reg files over. No such luck. As for the reg box itself… you can't see the text in Cx8, but it is perfectly visible in Cx9 beta. In either case, it doesn't accept the code. I think Don hit it on the head in his comment about digital downloads.

There is a separately available download of the game for registered users that doesn't require Impulse, but oddly enough, I couldn't even get that to install under Parallels.

I'm wondering if a new Compatibility Database listing should be made for this Trinity release since it seems to have issues differing from the regular releases.

Hmm we will just have to wait for impulse :(

Alex

P.S. about compatibility database just add to tips and tricks that trinity does not work

Alex Kornitzer wrote:

hmm so when you open diplomacy for example you get the registration
box where you cant see what your typing?

Alex

P.S. Damn why is there not proper .net support in crossover so that
impulse would work :(

The .NET 2.0 supports -are- in crossover, and are coming to crosssover games as well in the
future. Until then, getting .NET to work in crossover games, is tantamount to something like..;

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=6674;forum=1;msg=67931 [bottom of that thread]

Be also aware, that some online registration schemes use ieframe to hoist the registration GUI ;
as a result, sometimes you have to install IE6 to get them to work...

Cheers!

Artist Formally Known as Dot wrote:

Alex Kornitzer wrote:

P.S. Damn why is there not proper .net support in
crossover so that impulse would work :(

The .NET 2.0 supports -are- in crossover, and are coming to
crosssover games as well in the
future. Until then, getting .NET to work in crossover games, is
tantamount to something like..;

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=6674;forum=1;msg=67931
[bottom of that thread]

Be also aware, that some online registration schemes use ieframe to
hoist the registration GUI ;
as a result, sometimes you have to install IE6 to get them to
work...

Cheers!

This definitely won't help the situation here. I already had .Net and IE7 (Impulse requires IE7) installed in my SoaSE bottle under Cx9 beta, and I was unable to get Impulse to install properly. 😥

I doubt the mention of CXO beta is particularly pertinent here - many games won't
run in CXO anyhow (you need CXG)...and...beta is not final ; any results you
observe today, could change on the next beta/RCx releases...you should refrain from
mentioning beta releases in these forums for these reasons.

I can give you an example of what I'm talking about (a few, but 1 will do) ;

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=3726;tips=1

That title will register using CXO-8.x but it will not run (graphics problems, tends
to crash at startup). It works perfectly in CXG-8.x.x using the process I describe in
that tip&trick -- point taken? Comparing CXO results to CXG results is fraught with
such danger...and do note, afaict here, this title is only known to work in CXG...

I'm not saying this will help your issue any, but, you shouldn't mix results from the
2 crossover branches and expect anything to be meaningful (unless you're debugging,
comparing debug logs for differences...etc...etc)....and that said, you shouldn't mention
results from a pre-release crossover build, and expect those results to be meaningful...

Cheers!

Hi

Yes but .net 2 service pack 1 does not even work in crossover

Alex

i have got as far as working out that to get impulse to startup without red crosses and then quitting you need .net 2 sp1 but then it still cant connect to the server and this could be another error to do with .net 2 sp1

Alex

Indeed...it was thought to be working, however...(quoting Aric);

"The fact that it reported success in 8.0 was actually incorrect.
It has never installed correctly. We are working on trying to fix it
but do not have high hope for SP1 working by 9.0"

So it looks like this title is stuck between a rock and a tight spot
until things improve here in the future wrt .NET 2.0 SP1...

Cheers!

Yup i cant get sp1 to install in crossover 9beta2 :(

Alex

I doubt the mention of CXO beta is particularly pertinent here -
many games won't
run in CXO anyhow (you need CXG)...and...beta is not final ; any
results you
observe today, could change on the next beta/RCx releases...you
should refrain from
mentioning beta releases in these forums for these reasons.

I can give you an example of what I'm talking about (a few, but 1
will do) ;

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=3726;tips=1

That title will register using CXO-8.x but it will not run
(graphics problems, tends
to crash at startup). It works perfectly in CXG-8.x.x using the
process I describe in
that tip&trick -- point taken? Comparing CXO results to CXG results
is fraught with
such danger...and do note, afaict here, this title is only known to
work in CXG...

I'm not saying this will help your issue any, but, you shouldn't mix
results from the
2 crossover branches and expect anything to be meaningful (unless
you're debugging,
comparing debug logs for differences...etc...etc)....and that said,
you shouldn't mention
results from a pre-release crossover build, and expect those results
to be meaningful...

Cheers!

Oh the game definitely doesn't work for me in CxG either. I was trying it out in Cx8 and 9b to see if I could get any better results after CxG failed, but I wasn't aware it isn't expected to work in the regular Cx release. I mentioned the Cx9 beta chiefly due to the talk about .Net, and it does resolve one bug with text in that product activation window. The bug was in Cx8 and CxG8. That much at least I would hope would continue to be resolved in CxG9 when it comes about.

John wrote:

snip<

Oh the game definitely doesn't work for me in CxG either. I was
trying it out in Cx8 and 9b to see if I could get any better results
after CxG failed, but I wasn't aware it isn't expected to work in
the regular Cx release. I mentioned the Cx9 beta chiefly due to the
talk about .Net, and it does resolve one bug with text in that
product activation window. The bug was in Cx8 and CxG8. That much
at least I would hope would continue to be resolved in CxG9 when it
comes about.

Oh, I understand where you're coming from, I'm just saying that procedure will
introduce...umm...'misleading results' as it were. For example, I regularly test
problematic titles against mainstream wine (a weekly event usually) - I submit tickets
when I note one or another version of wine fixes something not working in crossover.
In that light, I doubt .NET has anything to do with the font rendering -- it'll be
the wine version that build is based on...ie; I've already noted big fixups with fonts
as of wine-1.1.30/.31 ...along with improvements in gecko....and same is true for the
upcoming CXO-9.0 release, which is based on 1.1.3x I believe...(which, as it goes,
also fixes font issues with other title that don't use .NET at all)...see what I mean? :)

Cheers!

Damn Soase (normal with expansions) wont work in cxgames 8.2 or cxgames 9.0

Alex

Err...there is no cxgames 9.0 .... not yet anyhow.

Err...there is no cxgames 9.0 .... not yet anyhow.

Hehehehe have a look at the nighties, Don :D

Alex

That is a nightly build -- it is not indicative of what will
be in the CXG-9.0 releases (including betas) and nor is a nightly
build ever considered 'finished', 'complete' or 'behaving as it
should' -- never confuse nightly builds with anything considered
a 'release' version ; it is simply not the case.

When the filename changes from ;

install-crossover-games-demo-20100330-unstripped

to...

install-crossover-games-[linux/mac]-9.0

...then CXG 9.0 exists, until then, we only have plain old nightly
builds, and you should not believe any experience gained with the
nightly builds is going to be indicative of what you may find in the
release versions (including betas and release candidates)..

Cheers!

Yeh but sometimes they fix errors but in this case it seems to regress :(
oh well well just have to wait :D

Alex

This is my point -- yu can't use words like 'regress' or
'regression' in regards the nightly builds...they are still
W.I.P. (work in progress) and may break and/or fix things
on and off, depending on exactly which build you grab, and
what works today might not work tomorrow. Nightly builds
have -oodles- of stuff in them that get cut out, rearranged,
added to, altered...again and again and again during the
devel cycle...ie; what's not working now, may start to work
next nightly build, or the one after that...or you may have
to wait until beta to be in a position to judge what works
or not -- nightly builds do not 'fix' anything, because they
are not release software, simply put...

Cheers!

Ok you win :P

Alex

Haha...nah, the changelog always wins...ie; have a look,
in the last few nightly builds we've gone from 1.1.30, to
1.1.31 and it may even shift yet again...they're very mobile
targets. Also, one of our Ninja's once mentioned to me that
talk of nightly builds shouldn't make an appearance in these
forums -- it tends to confuse people. They think a new version
is available when it isn't, and so on. Talk regarding nightly
builds should be kept in the advocates only forum, or better,
in the Nightly Build Issues forum....

Cheers!

Ok kl thats good to know also that build was 1.1.41 :O
also how do i find out what changes have been made in each build of crossover (where is the change log?)

Alex

In the install directory...ie; ~/cxoffice or ~/cxgames for a
user directory install, or /opt/cxoffice | /opt/cxgames for a
system wide install -- the file is 'changelog.txt' ....(tends
to lag behind a bit with detail on nightly builds though)...

Cheers!

hi is this for mac or linux because i can find it :S i am on mac

Alex

Oh, that was the linux paths -- I'm not sure where the Mac
would install it...in the equivalent location I guess, but
a search for changelog.txt should find it wherever it is...

Cheers!

1 to 31 of 31

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTXV2U1U5U0xSV1ZMTUZUTCIsImdkcHIiOjB9