Sins of a Solar Empire Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Multiplayer?

So I've installed v1.0 SOASE on a Mac with Intel OSX 10.5.8 using CX 7.0.2 and with CXG 8.1.4 (just in case) and it seems to work fine for single player; but with multiplayer as soon as I click 'Create Game' it just freezes. Music plays, I can move the mouse but everything else is unresponsive and I have to shut down. I haven't experimented yet (joining games, loading, etc.) but does anyone happen to know what's wrong and how to fix it? I really only want to play Sins on a LAN (with Windows PCs).

"it just freezes"? Which "it" are you referring to? The game, all of CrossOver, or your whole system?

"I have to shutdown"? Again, you mean you have to shut the game down, shut CrossOver down, or power cycle your computer?

If your whole system is freezing up and is unresponsive (other than the cursor moving and music playing), then that sounds like a window server lockup. That's typically due to a bug in the window server or graphics drivers, both of which are components of the OS which are beyond our control.

If a full-screen game has crashed or frozen, but CrossOver itself is still working, then you can use Command-Option-R to force CrossOver out of full-screen mode. Then you can use tools in the Manage Bottles window to shutdown the stuck game -- either the Task Manager on the Control Panel tab, or the Quit Bottle or Force Quit Bottle buttons on the Bottle tab.

If that doesn't work, you can try Command-Q to quit CrossOver. If even that doesn't work, you can try Command-Option-Escape followed by Return to force quit CrossOver.

If none of that works, then, as I say, that sounds like a window server lockup. It may help to upgrade to Snow Leopard, but I can't be sure.

Sorry for the vagueness, I'm new to the whole Crossover thing. Anyway thanks, it was a full-screen problem as Command-Option-R forced Crosssover out of full-screen. What does this mean? Is there anything I can do about it?

It seems that the game has crashed or frozen up when trying to create a multi-player game. I don't know why.

You can try some of the tips here to see if they help.

No luck, and I've tried joining a LAN but same thing happens; the game freezes and I can't click anything but the mouse moves and the music plays and I can quit. Would other versions of the game be more compatible? Thanks for the tips regardless!

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQnp0UnVoTWR4VHlDclZRcCIsImdkcHIiOjB9