Space Rangers 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Game technically runs, but graphics will not draw.

I recently purchased and installed the Space Rangers 2: Complete version from Impulse, which contains the original game and the Reboot expansion. After a little tinkering with it in Crossover Games, I have determined that the game will actually run just fine, but the graphics are unable to draw to the screen. If you drag a Mac window across the Crossover window, it draws the frames behind it as the Mac window passes. The same happens if you open a Mac menu over the Crossover Window, or drag the Crossover window off of the edge of the screen and back. But, if left alone, the graphics do not refresh, despite the fact that the game is actually running happily behind the static screen.

I'll keep messing with it and see what I can do.

Incidentally, all I did to install it was purchase and download it from Impulse while booted into Windows, then drag the whole install folder from my Windows partition into a Crossover Games bottle. Since Impulse won't run without .Net, I know of no other way to get it done.

This symptom happens when a game sets up opengl or direct3d rendering on a window, but continues to do GDI drawing on it. That confuses MacOS, once a window is set up for opengl(and d3d is mapped to opengl), it doesn't work for 2D drawing on MacOS any longer. So far we have no fix for that.

Strictly speaking this is a bug in the game. Vista behaves in a very similar way if compositing(speak Aero, the 3D desktop) is enabled. Vista often disables compositing if it detects such a behavior, but on OSX compositing cannot be disabled.

Why does dragging another window over the Crossover window allow the graphics to draw? Is there any easy hack or fix for this, or is this one of those things we're going to have to wait a while to see addressed? This is such a cool game, and not particularly resource intensive. It's a shame that such a small thing is keeping it from being playable.

If you haven't already tried it, it might be worth running it in a virtual desktop window. If the game has configuration settings for enabling/disabling 3D acceleration, you could try toggling that.

Yeah, I tried both of those things, but no luck. CXG 7.2 doesn't change things in this regard, either.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTXZwWVlIV3FnVVpXOG01RiIsImdkcHIiOjB9